• This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:31 PM

Heavy aircraft fire moving in on Baghdad... Baghdad's response has been limited, very weak AAA.

One building has exploded, two more are on fire. No ID on the buildings just yet....

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 07 August 2012 - 11:22 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:33 PM

In use:

We *think* a few Tomahawk Cruise Missiles.... it's 9:30 at night there, so this could go on for hours.

The first target appears to be the Information Ministry, but this isn't confirmed....

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:34 PM

Thnaks for the updates Rov, I havent been near a TV all day, I've been looking at the MSNBC website too, but it can be a bit behind at times. ;)

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:35 PM

APOTS... it's something to do. :).

Many of the targets are on the western edge of the city.... communications centers on the east side are unhit.

It's difficult to make out what's happening... the battle appears to be between attack runs at the moment....

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

All right, the MSNBC guy at the Pentagon relayed this <so there may be errors in second-hand communication>:

There will be waves of attack, incremental, and aimed at leadership targets.

#6 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:39 PM

I don't know what they dropped, but I had decided to turn on the news at 1:00 (Eastern) and I actually saw some of the explosions---CNN's Nic  Robertson described one explosion as "huge".  It was.  Then black smoke rising from the same area.  

Robertson just said he's been told to adhere to guidelines by Iraqi officials and not state specific targets.

Scary stuff.  :(

Peridot

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:40 PM

i'm watching i live myself

i really hate seeing the night infrared shots

bad memories from other wars

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the updates. I'm at work and can't access this via the internet... too much traffic.  I appreciate the reports.  Keep them coming.
It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#9 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 20 2003, 01:24 PM, said:

The first target appears to be the Information Ministry, but this isn't confirmed....
Nice for the Sky One reporter who was on top of the MOI building last night.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Blair is apparently going to meet with CHirac and demand an apology for screwing up on this.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:42 PM

Okay, further update <I feel like I'm spamming, but information comes in so fast>:

This is just the curtain-raiser, trying to take out the air defense system of Baghdad.

Meaning that the real attack is a ways away... but we'll probably see it within a couple hours. So far, the tactic appears to be to confuse the enemy, force him to draw himself out, rather than strike with all our power at once. This is no doubt to reduce collateral damage...

#12 Bella

Bella
  • Islander
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:43 PM

From canada.com's "War Desk" (it's one of those impossible-to-link sites, so my apologies for copying it):

Ground war begins
U.S. infantry opens artillery fire at Kuwait Iraq border

IN THE KUWAITI DESERT (AP) -- The U.S. 3rd Infantry Division's artillery opened fire Thursday on Iraqi troops with Paladin self-propelled howitzers and multiple launch rocket systems in the first stage of the ground war.

Maj.-Gen. Bufourd Blount, the division commander, had said that the artillery barrage would signal the first phase of the ground war against Iraq.

The sky around the cannons illuminated with white light as dozens of artillery shells were fired and the explosions inside Iraq could be heard.

Infantrymen who were between the howitzers and the Iraqi border cheered as the shells screamed overhead.

Soldiers in the early night darkness watched the light flashing in the sky.

Blount said Wednesday that the artillery shelling would take place along the entire Kuwait-Iraq border.

There were no reports from other parts of the sector but witnesses along the northeastern corner of the frontier reported hearing heavy detonations.

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:43 PM

i'm not sure how i'm supposed to go out and have fun tonight at the D&D gfame knowing that they are about to launch the big fight.

Defy Gravity!

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:44 PM

The First Marine Division has crossed the border into Iraq.

The ground campaign is underway...

APOTS MovieImp

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:46 PM

All right.. the Information Ministry sitll stands, it appears the target was *near* it. That building has yet to be hit, but may end up being leveled... still, very little confirmation on what HAS been hit.

#16 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:46 PM

Military Sources:

"The attack of unprecented scope, force, and scale has yet to begin. You'll know it when you see it.".

:eek:

#17 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:59 PM

There are forty-five leadership targets in Baghdad that are slated for being attacked.

I'm not sure when Dawn is in Baghdad, but it's not even 10 PM there yet.... coalition forces have at least seven hours of night time to work with...

#18 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for doing this Rov.  It's easier to "watch" here than in front of the tv for some reason.  I must confess that it makes me think of Anarch and how he was the one with all the info during 911 and I giggle at the thought of you "worrying" about spamming.   :upside:

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 10:00 PM

APOTS.. and yeah, I remember Anarch doing that.

As for spamming, I'm like half this threads posts, and probably half of its reads... ;)

#20 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 10:02 PM

Dawn in Baghdad is around 8:00pm Mountain time. 6:00pm EST. I remember that from yesterday when it started.

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users