Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Why not stop using the term "African American"?

Culture African American lexicon Race

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

Themis, on Oct 10 2004, 01:24 PM, said:

So, does anyone know what the scientific, anthropological terms for various races are now, or do they even exist any more??

Themis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most Anthropologists don't like to use "race" at all. They think of race as a socially constructed term that really has no bearing in biological fact. There are *trends* however and the categories are caucasion, mongoloid and negroid. They all have to do with skeletal structure and things like that, but there has been so much "interbreeding" (for lack of a better word) that the old standards are fairly useless. For example, a white male may have the facial structure of a "typical mongoloid female", it just doesn't work.
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#62 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:38 PM

gaius claudius, on Oct 15 2004, 05:41 AM, said:

I don't know...maybe its just me..but as an "african american" male. I find it a little..well...I don't even have a word for it...that its even up for discussion..its ike you're all talking around us (me) without taking to me (us)..since no one else in the discussion has described themselves as "black"

And yes ...I do use both terms interchangeably...and yes on occaison I even (still) use the "n" word with other "blacks" depending on the circumstance

I'm not by any means saying you don't have a right to have the discussion, its just feels rather strange reading the various comments, which are basically discussing my identity.

I generally don't use the term african american that much, simply because no one in family been in Africa for about 4 or 5 generations....

gc   :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see how that would make a person feel odd.   :blush:

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else here. I hope I didn't and I sure didn't mean to!

'shana

#63 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:02 PM

You know what?

Where they ask for race on an application, there should be a box to check with "carbon-based life form" next to it. :p

Edited by Digital Man, 15 October 2004 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#64 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:27 PM

carbon-based life form - I love it!

Maybe I'll blend them - European-American carbon-based life form....  Unless I'm filling in the form in, I dunno, maybe Europe where African-American wouldn't be one of the choices and I'd stick to carbon-based life form.

Actually I think that's a great choice!  (there's usually a line for "other")

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#65 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:41 AM

Delvo, on Oct 11 2004, 11:01 PM, said:

the word "Asian" as a substitute for "Oriental"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that's an American thing?

Here in the UK, the word "Asian" is almost exclusively used to mean Indian/Pakistani and hardly ever oriental.
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

#66 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

PBS is currently running a special on race called Race: The Power of Illusion
Its a very interesting site...and it goes over a lot of the topics we discussed here, especially theso called 'history' of racial classification in America

gc   :devil:
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#67 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:38 AM

gaius claudius, on Oct 22 2004, 11:00 AM, said:

PBS is currently running a special on race called Race: The Power of Illusion
Its a very interesting site...and it goes over a lot of the topics we discussed here, especially theso called 'history' of racial classification in America

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow!  Thank you so much, gc!  I think we should cover this here...

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#68 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:39 AM

gaius claudius, on Oct 15 2004, 09:15 AM, said:

...it just from the tone of the discussion I felt for a litte while like i was being examined in a petri dish...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heya GC,

Speaking for myself, I'm just trying to understand. That way, I can interact better with others. :)

Myself? I'm Puerto Rican/ Venezuelan. I have a Jewish first name-but I was baptized a Catholic. (I'm no longer practicing-I stopped that years ago) My last name-Trabal-is supposedly from Spain, although there might be French origins to it.

And not too long ago, I learned that my mother's side of the family (Venezuelan) has some Japanese blood in it.  :eek:

So what does that make me?

A mutt.

:p~  :hehe: :p~

Edited by Digital Man, 22 October 2004 - 10:40 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#69 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

Digital Man said:

gaius claudius said:

...it just from the tone of the discussion I felt for a litte while like i was being examined in a petri dish...
Heya GC,
Speaking for myself, I'm just trying to understand. That way, I can interact better with others.

That's honestly the only reason I'd get involved in a discussion of racial identity, etc. -- usually, I know better, and prefer just to say "Since we're all the human race, I'd rather we get over all the labels." I'd prefer that Americans just call themselves Americans. I'm a "mutt" of European descent, but don't call myself European-American (despite being proud of British ancestry). So, anything I said in this thread was an attempt to express that and understand other views; no offense was intended. *shrug*
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, African American, lexicon, Race

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users