Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Face Transplants!

Medical Research Face Transplants 2004

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:12 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...6627b00b1d6f60e

This year is the 50th anniversary of the first successful human organ transplant. Over the last half-century, the improved understanding of how to prevent the body's immune system from rejecting foreign tissue has turned what began as an experiment into a routine procedure. Today, bone and bowel, heart and hand are replaceable.

Now we are confronting the imminent possibility that human faces will be transplanted. This month in The American Journal of Bioethics, a team of transplant surgeons at the University of Louisville announced their intention to pursue the transplantation of faces. Last year, a task force at the Royal College of Surgeons of England cautioned against them.

The British group concluded that "until there is further research and the prospect of better control of complications, it would be unwise to proceed with human facial transplantation," a procedure that requires review board approval.

Wasn't this a movie with Nicholas Cage & John Travolta? I believe it was called "Face Off."

Of course, there was "Darkman", and I'm sure there were others LONG before these two.

:blink:

Saul
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

Would it be successful in looking right however? A face's shape is not just the skin, its the muscles and bones underneath..... Most organ transplants are done for functional reasons w/ organs/body parts that people don't see. I think people would have a better chances getting the look they want going to a plastic surgen.

Also, they have to either use dead bodies or get two people to agree to swap faces. And you could mix races if you didn't want it to be obvious what you had done... heck, even a skin tone slightly off could be noticeable.

I could see the advantages for people w/ facial disfigurement, though I'm still not entirely convinced this is the way to go.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 October 2004 - 11:27 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

sierraleone, on Oct 13 2004, 11:18 AM, said:

Would it be successful in looking right however? A face's shape is not just the skin, its the muscles and bones underneath..... Most organ transplants are done for functional reasons w/ organs/body parts that people don't see. I think people would have a better chances getting the look they want going to a plastic surgen.

Also, they have to either use dead bodies or get two people to agree to swap faces. And you could mix races if you didn't want it to be obvious what you had done... heck, even a skin tone slightly off could be noticeable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it worked for Michael Jackson...

Um...wait.

:eek4:

:blink:

:p

:alien:

Edited by Digital Man, 13 October 2004 - 11:24 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

I think they are looking to use face transplants for people who have been horribly mutilated in fires and accidents - like that girl from South America that did those anti drunk driving commercials. Or the lady whose boyfriend shot her at point blank range in the face.

It gives me the heebie jeebies, but a transplanted face is better than what some people are currently living with.

And the recepient wouldn't really look exactly like the donor - what makes us look the way we do includes the underlying bone, muscle and fat under the skin...

it wouldn't be like "Face Off" ... it wouldn't be the exact same face and they wouldn't use a live donor.

'shana

#5 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:06 PM

OMG..can you imagine going through life, looking and the mirror and knowing you're looking at someone else?

That's too creepy...I think I'd rather have a disfigured face than someone elses...unless, like, half my face was ripped off or something, then I might consider it. But anyway...

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

It sounds like Logan's Run's New You shops are around the corner. :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

For peopel with bad facial disfigurments, I can see it as being a good thing (slightly creepy, but still a good thing).  Not sure how many people who would normally be organ donors would really want to donate their face though - I imagine that would quickly rule out an open-casket funeral for the family of the donor.

I can also see it being used by high-ranking mafia and drug lord types, but really, they know how to get plastic surgery anyway.  People whose faces have been prettymuch burned off would be far more likely to use it and benift.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:35 PM

I can't really see it being used by people with less than total face disfigurement - the operation(s) would be horrific.

Edited by Shoshana, 13 October 2004 - 04:35 PM.

#9 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:54 PM

I can't see people getting their faces removed and someone else's attached (undoubtedly with some risk of rejection) just to hide from the law. I mean, plastic surgery and makeup can make you look like a different person, so why take the risk of having no face at all?

Some people with total disfigurement, on the other hand, may not have enough viable tissue left to do plastic surgery on. For them, a facial transplant might be their only way to ever look remotely normal again.
And I wonder if, pre or post-transplant, they'd be able to alter the face so it at least looks different than the donor...

Shoshana: I was just reading about the South American girl actually. Her name's Jacqui and you can read about her (and see pictures) here:
http://www.helpjacqui.com
Warning: Beware the pictures if you have a weak stomach.

Edited by Raina, 14 October 2004 - 11:56 PM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#10 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:18 AM

I'd imagine the face would already be altered, once transplanted....since the recipient has a different facial structure, it would have to be adjusted, and would sit differently, thereby changing it's overall look somewhat. But it would still be creepy looking in a mirror and seeing a different face.

#11 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:50 AM

Nose cartilige, nerves and muscles, huh?

That's a very serious procedure, with very serious anti-rejection therapy needed. I suppose it's going to be aimed at adults rather than children.

I'm sure there are people with serious disfigurement caused by disease or accident, for whom this will be a great step forward, but

wouldn't it be good if society could learn not to feel revulsion at people with less than average appearance too? Then they might not feel so excluded.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Face Transplants, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users