Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

I Think Bush Will Win

Election 2004 Bush Ohio

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:30 AM

If I understand correctly-if Bush takes Ohio, it's all over for Kerry.

And Bush seems to be leading there.

:oh:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 FeFe_Roissy

FeFe_Roissy
  • Islander
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:54 AM

I hope he wins........................I don't want my taxes to go up.
Say My Name............Say My Name
When no one is around you....
Say baby I love you....
You ain't running games
Say My Name.............Say My Name
You're acting kinda shady....
and calling me baby.......

#3 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:54 AM

This is sad news.

I'm going to have to get more drinks. It's going to be a longgggggg 4 years.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:17 AM

with less than 160K vote sepearating them, 12 % of the districts still to come in,and 200,000 provisional ballots still to be counted, the BBC and CNN isn't calling it yet.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:22 AM

JadziaDax, on Nov 3 2004, 12:54 AM, said:

This is sad news.

I'm going to have to get more drinks. It's going to be a longgggggg 4 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean a loooooooooooooog EIGHT years.

:dontgetit:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Rockhound

Rockhound

I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:30 AM

It'll be long for some, short for others.

Seems to me the big push to get poeple out to vote worked.  For Bush.
"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#7 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:59 AM

JadziaDax, on Nov 2 2004, 10:54 PM, said:

This is sad news.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is excellent news. WooHoo!!!!  :lol:  :D
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#8 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:40 AM

For anyone feeling despondent or depressed over anything, help is always available. Call a suicide prevention hotline at:

http://suicidehotlines.com/

(edited at Lil's request)

Edited by Ogami, 03 November 2004 - 02:24 PM.

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:52 AM

Tensions are running high enough without adding fresh fuel to the fire. Could you please try and not make idiotic statements like this for a day or two till it settles down.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:14 AM

What will be, will be. This  will either make us or break us as a nation....and trying to rub people's noses in it isn't going to do anything but the wrong  thing...

Bush says he wants to unite the people of this country and stuff like that doesn't accomplish that goal.

Edited by trikay, 03 November 2004 - 06:24 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#11 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:23 AM

Ogami, on Nov 3 2004, 10:40 AM, said:

I understand there is a suicide watch being set up for Democrats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every time I think you can't outdo the sheer partisan lunacy of your last moronic statement I am proven wrong.  It's people like you- both left and right- that have taken the state of politics and power-nosedived it into the ground, only to cavort gleefully in the wreckage.

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:24 AM

If Bush does win I just hope Kerry concedes with dignity, same thing if by some miracle Kerry wins. Last thing we need is a repeat of 2000.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#13 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:02 AM

If Bush does win I just hope Kerry concedes with dignity, same thing if by some miracle Kerry wins. Last thing we need is a repeat of 2000.

I agree.

I do hope the provisional ballots are counted in Ohio, though. Many people waiting in lines for four hours to cast some of those votes. It seems to me that out of respect for the voters we should count them, regardless of whom they seem to favor. I wish that both the Democrats and Republicans would take that stand. Unfortunately, since Bush is ahead, the Democrats will probably just concede if it seems unlikely that they can pick up a win from counting those ballots. And, of course, the Republicans want to go ahead and declare victory. I understand wanting to get this over with, but I also want every person's vote to count, regardless.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

Victory may be declared before those ballots are counted, but they will be counted, will they not, eventually?  I think that's the law in Ohio, whether the result would change an outcome or not.  I'm assuming it's the same as with absentee ballots.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:27 AM

Interesting question actually.

What happens if Kerry concedes defeat, the ballots are counted, and eleven days fromnow, Kerry takes Ohio? Would he win retroactivly, or would he give up all claim on the presidency if he conceded.

I'd hate to think what it would do to Bush's mandate to be told two weeks from now that he didn't actually win.

Defy Gravity!

#16 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

^^^^

That is a very good question indeed...not very likely but a good question.

Anyone got any ideas here?

It's never happened before on any level of politics that I know of...that's the key phrase there...but what would be the legal precedence for this?

If it was a done deal and over with totally after the concession by Kerry or any other candidate....regardless of the end results...wouldn't it cripple the Presidency?

The next question is ....Who might run in 2008 on both sides?  I'm not seeing a whole lot of viable candidates on either side at this time....beyond Maybe McCain and Frist for the Republicans and Hillary and possibly Edwards for the Democrats
Believe me I will start paying attention to all of them in the next several years...

I hate to say this but this all starts again in appro. 3 years

Edited by trikay, 03 November 2004 - 10:07 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#17 Rockhound

Rockhound

I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:51 AM

Not wanting to start any fights or anything, but I've noticed something interesting both here and several other places:

The Democrats went gung-ho to get people out for the vote.  Vote, vote, vote.  And that is good.  I kept hearing talk about how Americans need to vote Bush out and Kerry in.

Ok, now Bush appears to have BOTH the popular vote and the electoral vote, and now so many Democrats (or just anti-Bus people) are railing against the American voter as being "stupid."

What?  So, democracy is a good thing only when it works your way, otherwise it sucks?  What gives?

Like I said, not trying to start a fight, but I've noticed this here and other places I read.  Geez...
"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#18 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:05 AM

^ You could add to that the fact that the loser in a 52-48 race (round off to half-half) complains about half of the population voting wrong, but the winner seldom complains of almost exactly the same thing: half the population voting "wrong" from that person's perspective. Both sides have almost equal reason to wonder why half of the country is so wrong and why the vote for the right side wasn't much more like it should have been, but one does more compaining and the other does more gloating.

#19 Davesnothome

Davesnothome
  • Islander
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:18 AM

Concessions and concession speeches mean nothing. Its votes that count. In the end Electerol college votes that count. They are legally required to count every acceptable vote.

Now with Ohioians its always a questionable act. I mean it does require them to take off there socks and shoes, to use all those available toes to get it done! No one ever said counting votes wasn't a smelly job!  :eek2: (Okay, okay, as a resident of Michigan I'm legally allowed to make dispariging comments about our Buckeye friends, especially during football season!  :D )

Considering what's taken place in the last four years, the next four don't seem to promise much improvement, from my point of view. But appearently for the majority of folks here in the USA thinks are pretty much happy, happy, joy, joy times for them!  :rolleyes: To our foreign friends today who are wondering, what the hell are US voters thinking? Hell if I have an answer! I think until trouble literally comes up and bites them in the butt, its not a big concern for most of them. They have more than enough to worry about, with there own troubles of making it thorigh life day to day, to worry about the big picture.  :eek2:

Okay, done with my one time up on my soap box!  :D

Dave

Edited by Davesnothome, 03 November 2004 - 11:21 AM.

#20 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

Ogami said:

I understand there is a suicide watch being set up for Democrats.

Ogami, I guess anything you know, you learned from talk radio hosts just seething with spiteful hatred. Have you ever had an original thought in your mind that wasn't learned from Limbaugh or Savage (or Ann Coulter, though she's not radio)? So -- what Lord Ravensburg said.

Rockhound said:

So, democracy is a good thing only when it works your way, otherwise it sucks?

No, not at all! What I don't understand is why people refuse to understand why some might be feeling disappointed. Obviously, if they feel disappointed, then they're anti-democracy, anti-American... could we give it a rest?
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2004, Bush, Ohio

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users