• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 FeFe_Roissy

FeFe_Roissy
  • Islander
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:37 AM

Ogami, on Nov 3 2004, 10:40 AM, said:

I understand there is a suicide watch being set up for Democrats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what they get for being a bunch of backstabbing whiners.   People are getting sick of the lame diatribe and the personal attacks we heard from the Democratic party.   They need to get their act together or it will be a long time before they win the majority in anything again.
Say My Name............Say My Name
When no one is around you....
Say baby I love you....
You ain't running games
Say My Name.............Say My Name
You're acting kinda shady....
and calling me baby.......

#22 Rockhound

Rockhound

I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:38 AM

Norville, on Nov 3 2004, 11:34 AM, said:

No, not at all! What I don't understand is why people refuse to understand why some might be feeling disappointed. Obviously, if they feel disappointed, then they're anti-democracy, anti-American... could we give it a rest?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naw...naw...not what I said.  I would be dissappointed is Bush lost.  That's not the point I made.  The point I was making is that there are so many Democrats (not just here but in lots of places) who started the whole ball rolling on getting people out to vote.  They said our vote counts.  On and on.  and they were right.  BUT...the vote didn't go there way.  Now so many of those same people are crying that the American voter is stupid.  You can't have it both ways.

I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to be disapponted, and don't paint me that way, please.
"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#23 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh?  Did you hear that on Limbaugh's show?

#24 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:45 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't believe that the voters are stupid or made the wrong choice.  That doesn't mean that I agree with it but what's done is done.  The majority spoke.  And only time will tell if anyone regrets their choice or they end up being happy with it.

Everyone who voted for one candidate or the other voted according to what they thought the right choice was for them.  Maybe we agree with the choice and maybe we don't.  But I wouldn't catagorize anyone as stupid for chosing the way they did.  They chose what they thought was the best for them.

I am really thinking about the 2008 elections already...yea, we've got to get thru the next four years and hopefully they will be good ones.  And no, I'm not the sort that will work only for the candidate of my chosen party....give me a good candidate that makes me feel strongly and believe in his cause and that he cares about my issues and I would follow him or her no matter what the political affiliation...

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#25 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

Ogami writes:

And here's confirmation of why I put Ogami on ignore. I had to look just for one second though, since I expected a snide remark. :barf:

Your candidate won, Ogami. Fine. That remark was uncalled for. But given the crap I've seen from you, why am I not surprised.

:glare:

Edited by Digital Man, 03 November 2004 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#26 FeFe_Roissy

FeFe_Roissy
  • Islander
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:49 AM

^^You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Say My Name............Say My Name
When no one is around you....
Say baby I love you....
You ain't running games
Say My Name.............Say My Name
You're acting kinda shady....
and calling me baby.......

#27 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:52 AM

FeFe_Roissy, on Nov 3 2004, 04:37 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what they get for being a bunch of backstabbing whiners.   People are getting sick of the lame diatribe and the personal attacks we heard from the Democratic party.   They need to get their act together or it will be a long time before they win the majority in anything again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FeFe....

Presumably Ogami was making a bad joke....

And the attacks and lame diatribe works both ways...take it from someone who stays fairly neutral until I see what both sides have to say.  And neither one was innocent of the nasty personal attacks this time.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:53 AM

Steven_Q, on Nov 3 2004, 05:52 AM, said:

Could you please try and not make idiotic statements like this for a day or two till it settles down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A tiger can't change his stripes.

:sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:55 AM

trikay, on Nov 3 2004, 11:52 AM, said:

And neither one was innocent of the nasty personal attacks this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I don't question this at all. If Ogami was a Democrat, I would have said the same thing.

:smirk:
Posted Image

#30 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:59 AM

FeFe_Roissy, on Nov 2 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

I hope he wins........................I don't want my taxes to go up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But you do want your civil rights to wither and die?  

And your taxes will go up anyway.  Dubya doesn't care about you.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#31 Rockhound

Rockhound

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:00 PM

Uh...which civil rights would those be?

#32 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

prolog, on Nov 3 2004, 08:39 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh?  Did you hear that on Limbaugh's show?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point.  In order to keep the Democratic Party viable, it will have to become as negative, backstabbing and whining as the GOP.  Not for nothing did Newt et al start that class on how to win elections by lying.  The Dems will have to lower themselves into the muck and go negative fast and hard in the future.  It works for the GOP, so that's what they'll have to do.   :(

As for the idiotic suicide comment you were responding to, I wonder how long that poster will take to be as sorry as I am that his candidate prevailed.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#33 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:15 PM

Nonny, on Nov 3 2004, 12:06 PM, said:

In order to keep the Democratic Party viable, it will have to become as negative, backstabbing and whining as the GOP.  Not for nothing did Newt et al start that class on how to win elections by lying.  The Dems will have to lower themselves into the muck and go negative fast and hard in the future.  It works for the GOP, so that's what they'll have to do.   :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I think if nothing else this election showed how futile it is for us Democrats to go negative, to sell their souls to hatemongers like Michael Moore and hope that dislike of Bush will sweep our candidate into office.

It seems to me that, quite to the contrary, what we have to do is field a candidate who can match Bush on the issue that apparently mattered the most to voters this year -- "moral values." And I don't think that means taking a reactionary stand on abortion or gay marriage. What it means is abandoning the politics of whining and victimization, and finding someone who can passionately argue for the values that liberals think it's important to protect -- civil liberties, fiscal responsibility, strong diplomatic relations -- instead of just against Bush.

I even wonder if touchy issues like gay marriage would swing the other way if a liberal candidate would have the guts to express his opinion in the same morally vigorous terms that the other side employs. To say not, "Well, who are we to dictate whom a person chooses to marry, whether they're gay or straight?" but "If two gay people love and are committed to each other, it is good and right that the law recognize their love and commitment."

#34 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:16 PM

I don't have a button, so i'll just have to do it this way.

what Dev F said.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#35 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:47 PM

Ogami, on Nov 3 2004, 03:40 AM, said:

For anyone feeling despondent or depressed over anything, help is always available. Call a suicide prevention hotline at:

http://suicidehotlines.com/

(edited at Lil's request)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No dice. I'll not be doing any editing.

Lil
Posted Image

#36 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:52 PM

I'll Second it-

What Dev F said

Edited by Shalamar, 03 November 2004 - 02:53 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#37 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 3 2004, 11:47 AM, said:

Ogami, on Nov 3 2004, 03:40 AM, said:

For anyone feeling despondent or depressed over anything, help is always available. Call a suicide prevention hotline at:

http://suicidehotlines.com/

(edited at Lil's request)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No dice. I'll not be doing any editing.

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, Lil!

Yeah, Ogami that was just saying the same thing but sneakier. I wish you wouldn't do things like that since it makes your fellow Republicans (Like Me!) look bad also.

#38 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

A casual inspection of the timestamp of my original post would show that I said it long before anyone knew who would win the election. I would think it silly for anyone to be suicidal over their candidate losing, but now I'm really starting to wonder.

At least I didn't go with my first choice: "Your way of life as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service... us." :p

-Ogami

#39 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Thank you LOP.  :)

Lil
Posted Image

#40 Rockhound

Rockhound

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 03:11 PM

Is there like a serious lack of "sense of humor" about all this?  I thought what he said was funny.  <shrug>

So what?  It's just a joke.  If you're so offended by something like that, who needs to re-evaluate themselves, him or you?

Dang...it's like everyone's on the "I'm morally superior to you" train.  :dontgetit:

Edited by Rockhound, 03 November 2004 - 03:12 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2004, Bush, Ohio

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users