Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

A word to those discouraged with the world

OT Partisanship

  • Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

    Fan of Many Things

  • Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:29 PM

I read this in the nonprint NY times this morning.  I thought it was worth passing on.

ok. Folks Back to work op-ed

If you don't want to be political there are any number of ways to help make something in this world better.

--Give money to a cause you believe in--not $100 or $1000 is required!! Give $5 or even $1 to some cause--Animal shelters, Humane Societies, a charity or organization you believe in, political or not.   I give 10 or 20 dollars a year to two orgs I truly believe in. Sometimes I can give more, sometimes I can't.  

--Give food or money to a local food bank

--Give outused clothes or household supplies to Salvation Army or good will or some local group. Religious organizations often take this kind of stuff.

--Give animal food and supplies to an animal shelter.  Give blankets, bedding etc. you don't need to an animal shelter.

--Volunteer some time in someplace it's needed.

--Organizations to help military families are often set up in local places to help those who have mom or dad in Iraq or other places overseas.

Edited by shambalayogi, 05 November 2004 - 06:03 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#2 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

Contributions to charity are usually highest during Republican administrations, it brings out the best in people.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/nr_16.html

-Ogami

#3 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

    Fan of Many Things

  • Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:46 PM

This is probably because there is more need for people to need charity under a Republican administration!!  

I will be in and out of the office this afternoon so I may not be able to respond to a discussion of much in this thread.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#4 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:01 PM

You're probably right.

#5 Number_6

Number_6

    Drunken Professor

  • Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

shambalayogi, on Nov 5 2004, 01:46 PM, said:

This is probably because there is more need for people to need charity under a Republican administration!! 

I will be in and out of the office this afternoon so I may not be able to respond to a discussion of much in this thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Oh! Oh!  I'm offended!  I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans!  Hurry, hurry!  I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist!  Eradicate them!  Quickly!  Doubleplusgood!!

#6 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

    Fan of Many Things

  • Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

Number_6, on Nov 5 2004, 03:38 PM, said:

shambalayogi, on Nov 5 2004, 01:46 PM, said:

This is probably because there is more need for people to need charity under a Republican administration!! 

I will be in and out of the office this afternoon so I may not be able to respond to a discussion of much in this thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Oh! Oh!  I'm offended!  I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans!  Hurry, hurry!  I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist!  Eradicate them!  Quickly!  Doubleplusgood!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Be Offended! Be VERY Offended! Too Bad for You!  :p  :p  :p

And why hasn't someone who has some sympathies for this thread posted a reply here instead of these two guys!!!!????? :pout:  :pout: Yes, it seems I need some warm fuzzy replies!

Edited by shambalayogi, 05 November 2004 - 06:02 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#7 Tricia

Tricia

    To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

  • Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

Sorry, missed this earlier.  

My circle of friends do what we can to help others. This year we held yard sales, saved loose change etc.  to raise money that we pool together to buy gifts and food for needy families we adopt at Christmas.  It's our own little commmunity project.  None of us is rich but  it makes us all feel good to help .  Giving is what it is all about.  :D

Too many families in need tho and we can't stretch the money as far as we'd like :(

I only wish I was able to do more....set up job training programs, provide shelter to those who need it be they battered or homeless ( the job program could help with both of these), feed the hungry, .....the list goes on and on...

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh


You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to


Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.


#8 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

    Fan of Many Things

  • Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

trikay, you can only do what you can do. You and your friends have responsibilities to take care of, too.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#9 Tricia

Tricia

    To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

  • Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I know.... :D

I figure this is the best we can do for now so ....

But the smiles on the faces of the people when we arrive at their door...let's put it this way, it maeks me happy but I do cry  :)

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh


You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to


Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.


#10 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:14 AM

shambalayogi, on Nov 5 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

And why hasn't someone who has some sympathies for this thread posted a reply here instead of these two guys!!!!????? :pout:  :pout: Yes, it seems I need some warm fuzzy replies!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I was gone a couple days.  {{{{{{{shamba}}}}}}}

I've been trying to get active with the DAV, Disabled American Veterans, the organization that assisted me with my disability claim on the VA with so much success.  My health was holding me back, but now that I'm in better shape, I'm ready to start.  Thursday the VFW and the DAV had the donation jars out for Buddy Poppies and Forget Me Nots, so I took the opportunity to speak to a DAV rep.  I told him about my local group, and he said he'd give the guy in charge a call, maybe persuade him to take me up on my offer to help (even though I'm not a WWII vet and not male  :rolleyes: ).  He also invited me to come to his next meeting.  His chapter meets close to the VA hospital and on days I usually have appointments, so I'm already there.   :cool:  

Nonny
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:50 PM

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

#12 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

    Fan of Many Things

  • Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

{{{{{Nonny & Trikay}}}} Thanks for the replies, I was feeling in need of warm fuzzy things yesterday when I wrote this.  Today is a better day!  :D

Ogami, some people even liberals like me, think that some people are a little too sensitive sometimes.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#13 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:31 PM

Hey, glad to help!  Today is a better day!  

Nonny
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#14 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:37 PM

Always glad to hear that, shambalayogi. A little less outrage and a little more talk is always preferable.

#15 Number_6

Number_6

    Drunken Professor

  • Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:37 PM

shambalayogi, on Nov 6 2004, 02:29 PM, said:

{{{{{Nonny & Trikay}}}} Thanks for the replies, I was feeling in need of warm fuzzy things yesterday when I wrote this.  Today is a better day!  :D

Ogami, some people even liberals like me, think that some people are a little too sensitive sometimes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


And what do you think of this place, where people cannot even bear for your words to continue to exist in cyberspace when they are offended by them, and they are acquiesced to in their desire to eradicate said words?

#16 Number_6

Number_6

    Drunken Professor

  • Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:38 PM

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Frankly, I find it frightening.  Liberals complain about the Patriot Act, but then do far worse when in power to do so themselves, particularly the tin-plated dictators of the bulletin board world.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

    Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

  • Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:46 PM

Shamba there are three reasons I have not responded.  The first (and really the most important one) is that for some reason I'm just not that worked up over Dubbaya winning.  I expected it and I've been complaining about Kerry's campaign and the general state of the DNC for months.  I don't really need all that much consoling.  The other two reasons you can probably guess.;)
Posted Image

#18 Rockhound

Rockhound

    I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

  • Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

Number_6, on Nov 6 2004, 01:38 PM, said:

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Frankly, I find it frightening.  Liberals complain about the Patriot Act, but then do far worse when in power to do so themselves, particularly the tin-plated dictators of the bulletin board world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



What 6 said!  :p
"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#19 Number_6

Number_6

    Drunken Professor

  • Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

Rockhound, on Nov 6 2004, 04:53 PM, said:

Number_6, on Nov 6 2004, 01:38 PM, said:

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Frankly, I find it frightening.  Liberals complain about the Patriot Act, but then do far worse when in power to do so themselves, particularly the tin-plated dictators of the bulletin board world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



What 6 said!  :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



Well, how many people here feel this way?  I mean, it seems to me that the rules here are designed to placate the most sensitive board members, which to me is like catering to the lowest common denominator.  It doesn't make for good argumentation, and only serves to make a few, self-righteous people happy.

#20 Rockhound

Rockhound

    I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

  • Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

Number_6, on Nov 6 2004, 04:33 PM, said:

Rockhound, on Nov 6 2004, 04:53 PM, said:

Number_6, on Nov 6 2004, 01:38 PM, said:

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Frankly, I find it frightening.  Liberals complain about the Patriot Act, but then do far worse when in power to do so themselves, particularly the tin-plated dictators of the bulletin board world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



What 6 said!  :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



Well, how many people here feel this way?  I mean, it seems to me that the rules here are designed to placate the most sensitive board members, which to me is like catering to the lowest common denominator.  It doesn't make for good argumentation, and only serves to make a few, self-righteous people happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



What 6 said! :p
"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users