#121 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:39 PM

Mr.Calgary, on Nov 8 2004, 12:32 PM, said:

Howling?

One post in the original thread and one post here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, where did you see the alleged "howling"?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#122 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

Spectacles wrote:

I called no one a homophobe or a bigot. I took issue with the arguments they were making. Is that not allowed?

So there can be valid reasons for opposition to gay marriage? That would be a refreshing change and an opening up of discussion from what usually passes for conversation around here. (That being that anyone who opposes the rightness of legalizing gay marriage must be a bigot.)

And for the record, no one has run to a moderator asking you be censored. That was sort of the point, when conservatives are told to edit or be censored.

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 08 November 2004 - 03:42 PM.

#123 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

OK. This is a chance for me to illustrate what I was talking about above. :)

I made a mistake. Mr. Calgary writes:

It was my hope, that after some reflection, the comment would be withdrawn.

On one hand I had no intention of making a formal complaint. On the other hand I had hoped a moderator would have stepped in after reading the exchange.

I misread his post like a dunce, and then I assumed that others might have complained to moderators about my "spamming" the board, etc.

My bad. My apologies. Evidently there is no truth to that whatsoever.

Now, if someone can just point out to me how I crossed the line into a personal attack in the post Mr. Calgary found so offensive, maybe he and I can perhaps begin to mend fences.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#124 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:09 PM

Digital Man, on Nov 8 2004, 12:56 PM, said:

Delvo, on Nov 8 2004, 12:52 PM, said:

he tried to enlist, and was not able to ( IIRC ) - because of physical problems - things he can not change and had no crontrol over - - there for it is absolutely wrong for you to disrespect him for not being in the military.
It would be wrong even if he hadn't tried. The whole "Well, if you think the war's such a great thing, you should be there!" is nothing but a fallacious liberal cheap shot to start with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

What I find so funny about this is that I'm not even a Democrat!!  :lol: I'm not affiliated with any party!! I don't trust ANY political party...

Although I do admit-I'm not above cheap shots if I feel they are warranted. So Delvo is half right.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't name a Party. I also didn't call YOU anything in particular, just what you said. Liberal cheapshots can easily be taken by people who aren't entirely liberal; the cheapshot itself still is.

#125 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:09 PM

I'm quoteing Christopher here for he says it much better thank I could have, but I completely agree with him on this:

I don't think this comes anywhere near being a guideline violation. It's a legitimate challenge of their arguments and claims, and that's a necessary part of the debate process. It doesn't generalize to the whole group, it doesn't avoid the issue by resorting to namecalling. I suppose "what you express here is contempt" could be taken as a personal attack, but I read it as an evaluation of the content of their words -- "what you express here."

This is the consensus opinion of the mods discussion in the SL about the post in question by Spectacles. I'm sorry that it is felt to be a personal attack, but several people have looked at it and we all agree that it isn't a guideline violation.

Perhaps Spectacles should have added in the words: "Looks to me like contempt", or "appears to me to be contempt" but even with out that it's not a violation.

Edited by Shalamar, 08 November 2004 - 04:14 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#126 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

Delvo, on Nov 8 2004, 04:09 PM, said:

I didn't name a Party. I also didn't call YOU anything in particular, just what you said. Liberal cheapshots can easily be taken by people who aren't entirely liberal; the cheapshot itself still is.

:unsure:  What does that mean?  The cheapshot is liberal? How so?

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#127 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:35 PM

Shalamar, on Nov 8 2004, 02:09 PM, said:

This is the consensus opinion of the mods discussion in the SL about the post in question by Spectacles. I'm sorry that it is felt to be a personal attack, but several people have looked at it and we all agree that it isn't a guideline violation.

Perhaps Spectacles should have added in the words: "Looks to me like contempt", or "appears to me to be contempt" but even with out that it's not a violation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay.

I'll offer this as a concluding comment......

My impression was that Spectacles chose 'contempt' because it had a very serious meaning.

I also took it to have a very serious meaning and being that it was directed at specific, named members.....

(I also reread the guidelines Sunday to help me in this)
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#128 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

Ogami: A conservative says something about the Democratic leadership, democratic columnists, democratic activists, or anyone else in the news, and the posters here bawl "He's talking about me, I've been impugned, someone stop him!"
That is weird since that has never happened to me and Iíve taken plenty of shots at the Democrats and Kerry.  

I think some people around here need to consider it is not what they are saying but how they are saying it that is getting them intro trouble.  Defending your stance in an articulate and reasoned manner with a delivery that is as even handed as possible gets you a lot further than spewing off.  That is something that everyone here whether they are on the left or the right should remember.  It is something that we all slip in from time to time but it is something that we should all strive for.  Fighting fire with fire only gets everyone burned.  Two people can always scream insults at each other with out any resolution.  On the other hand a well reasoned case with hard facts and a delivery that is just strong enough is much harder to assail.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#129 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:55 PM

Mr. Calgary, please let me add another opinion by a mod after reviewing this, in hopes that it solidifies things a little more.

With Cardies permission:

It isn't couched in a hateful, ranting context; it doesn't generalize about all conservatives; it doesn't say that Mr. C. and Ogami are vicious or bigoted. It simply says that the attitude they express in their words is, according to Spectacles' reading of it, an attitude of contempt.

Edited cause I can't type.

Edited by Shalamar, 08 November 2004 - 05:56 PM.

Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#130 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:59 PM

WHAT CJ SAID...wherre's that button when it is ever so needed.

Thank you CJ - we all to often assume the tone of talk radio around here it seems - and this ISN"T talk radio by any means. They seem to many times try and make their points by attacking in a personal fashion, by ranting and spewing vendective...

We are, or should be, better than that.

Posted Image

#131 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:08 PM

There IS a CJ button,  Shal.  Here it is -

Posted Image
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#132 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

ahhhhh! Thank you!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users