MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

Number_6, on Nov 6 2004, 07:38 PM, said:

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Number 6 wrote:

Oh! Oh! I'm offended! I need you to edit your post and take out gross generalizations about Republicans! Hurry, hurry! I cannot bear for these words to continue to exist! Eradicate them! Quickly! Doubleplusgood!!

Excellent point, Number 6. I see you have met the underlying tone of this message board with a sense of humor, well done.

A hallmark of liberalism is to go through life waiting to be offended by someone or something. Thus I try to check myself whenever things get a little too acidic around here. I wouldn't want to be accused of acting like a liberal. Even a generalized liberal! :p

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankly, I find it frightening.  Liberals complain about the Patriot Act, but then do far worse when in power to do so themselves, particularly the tin-plated dictators of the bulletin board world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which explains why the whiniest bitches on this board, who went running to the moderators at the drop of a hat crying that they were being discriminated against, tended to be right wingers?

I'm all for strong opinions.  If a completely hypothetical member of this board-- let's call him Imago-- wants to  make up facts and engage in gross and unfair generalizations about his political opponents, then he should have that right...so long as everyone else has the right to point out "Hey Imago, you're making up facts and engaging in gross generalizations about your political opponents" without him going whining to the mods about how he's being singled out by the mean, mean liberals.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#22 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Nice try, Zack, but I've never asked anyone be censored on this board.

That's a perogative of the left, where censorship, blacklisting, and boycotting are right at home. A nice microcosm of the party with a monopoly on tolerance, diversity, and openness to other points of view. :wow:

-Ogami

#23 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#24 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Ogami, on Nov 7 2004, 12:24 AM, said:

That's a perogative of the left, where censorship, blacklisting, and boycotting are right at home. A nice microcosm of the party with a monopoly on tolerance, diversity, and openness to other points of view. :wow:

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on cue.  Thanks for proving my point.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#25 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:01 PM

Yikes have you guys actually seen yourselves?!

I'm not sure what the difference between the parties are (don't feel you ahve to explain) but it looks like random petty other-party bashing from here.

That first comment was totally randomly unnecessary, and bound to cause argument- almost *trying* to cause argument- which is why the first offended comment was so dead-pan, it was an obviously baiting generalisation.

*Generally* It's a bad idea to generalise and stereotype.

Respect everyone's views- just because they aren't your own, well frankly means diddly squat. i mean, so what? Just try not to offend someone.

If there are sensitive people on the board, then you try not to offend them because you are trying not to hurt anyone's feelings, or enrage anyone. Is that so unreasonable? Certainly in this case it wouldn't take a lot!

If you want to help: Simplest way? www.thehungersite.com

Piece a cake.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:24 PM

GiGi can I please have a "Zack is my hero!" button?

:love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:
Posted Image

#27 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

Speaking as the bitch who asked for the mods to step in after three days of incessant whining about Bush having won.

Zack I have heard in the last few days generalizations in a multitude of threads.

Republicans are Homophobic. They are wanting to make women into walking incubators. They want to put in judges who want to override Roe-V-Wade. They do not care about other people. They want a make a Religious State.

Now Zack when I asked  the mods to step in. I did it when it seemed and to this point I am even more certain that they needed to in the name of fairness stop both sides.

Thanks for showing that I was right.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#28 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

Oh, and of course we haven't heard any generalizations about Democrats around here lately....nope, it's all been about the poor, abused Republicans....

(P.S.- Sarcasm detectors are available if anyone missed it...)

:sarcasm:

#29 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

Richie I have had mods time and again go out of their way to tell me to stop with the generalizations. I have not seen the same when it's done towards Republicans.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#30 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:32 PM

Must every topic become an arguemnt about liberal vs. conservative, Democrat vs. Republican....who gets picked on the most...

This thread started as a way to help Anyone feel better whether its after the election or whatever, by finding ways to help financially or maybe even physically different organizations, your fellow man.

And it has dissolved into a forum for petty arguments...

All the sniping and griping isn't doing anyone any good... Is it making the world any better or easier to live in?  

I think not.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#31 Rockhound

Rockhound

I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:43 PM

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 06:24 PM, said:

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Attached Files

• Attached File  WOS.jpg   6K   10 downloads

Edited by Rockhound, 06 November 2004 - 10:44 PM.

"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#32 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:47 PM

Wow! the things you read when nobody is on your ignore list anymore! :eek4:

Um, I'm totally NOT depressed about the Bush Victory, I mean, come on, I saw it coming, no surprise here. Karl Rove has been roasting sugarbabies and reading the entrails of his enemies for long enough to know how to scare a gullible population into voting his way (as if that *deleted expletive* ever cared what the votes think). Anyone who actually thought there would be a Kerry Landslide, well....... You must not know much about how Karl Rove's evil genius works... Rmember he turned a one armed, legless REPUBLICAN war hero into a commie conspirator and destroys more carreer's by 9:00am than most people see in a lifetime.

But I AM curious about one thing (just the one dear? :rolleyes: ) - what happened to the real republican party, you know, the one that was about LESS government spending and LESS federal involvement with states rights and SMALLER government? The party I used to belong to????

But as G1223 told me, don't be depressed, FIGHT BACK - as many times as it takes to win.

And that's what I intend to do, I intend to fight back in every place I can, in every way I can and on every street corner I can get to.

Maybe we can push a constitutional amendment outlawing stupidity.....
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#33 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:15 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 6 2004, 06:24 PM, said:

GiGi can I please have a "Zack is my hero!" button?

:love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here you go!

Posted Image
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#34 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:33 AM

Lil,

there is an also an official shield that you can now
proudly or even semi-proudly display on your posts ....

Posted Image

:lol: :hehe:
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#35 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:05 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{GiGi and Eclipse}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Can I please use one of those as my avatar???

:love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:
Posted Image

#36 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

Eclipse, that shield is awesome, I bow to your talent!

#37 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:32 AM

I've got one problem, with the shield and button, what about Ash, and RHW.

I suggest that Gigi and Eclipse collaborate and design the Ex isle order of the "Golden Typewriter" for service to the community above and beyond.
:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Edited by emsparks, 07 November 2004 - 01:33 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#38 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:36 AM

Ogami, on Nov 6 2004, 08:24 PM, said:

"That's a perogative of the left, where [insert whatever here]" is a textbook formula for producing an inflammatory generalization.   Such generalizations are against the OT guidelines because they almost always derail the thread into a pointless "liberal v. conservative" squabble.  They undermine the purpose of this forum and tend to erode the bonds of civility between members.  

So I'm asking you again to show some respect for your fellow members and to stop trying to demonize groups by throwing around over-the-top generalizations.  

Banapis

#39 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:39 AM

Back on topic thou gh...

Though i'm not in the US, i try to do something for a  charity every year.
my three chosen ones are medicines sans frontiers, the royal lifeboat institute,  and salvation army.

Why? Medicines sans frontiers go into all the nasty places other people would get out of if they could - and often do. They need every ounce of support they can get.

Royal Lifeboat institute : unpaid volunteers braving storms at sea to rescue people.....need i say more?

Salvation army? yep, that's an odd one for me, not being a christian. However, they do good work and do it for *everyone*, not just those of their own faith, and that, to me, is a true samaritan. Hence I support them.

Once a year i'll hold a small auction,a nd the person who promised to donate the most to one of these three, gets a bottle of homemade wine (i'm not allowed due to the liquor laws over here to give it to them for the money- that counts as selling, so i give it in return for the gift of to the to be donated organisation), and usually i match what they raise.

One year, the best year so far, i was at a party, and htough nobody was drunk yet, they had all had all had a drink or two..and I ended up with a very competittive teamleader and his deputy bidding up against each other

Two bottles of rosehip wine raised 80 pound , which i then was honor bound to match....usually it doesn't go that high, but it's a fun way of doing things.

Unfortuantely, my current office is not open to this kind of thing.

Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#40 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:50 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 7 2004, 01:05 AM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{GiGi and Eclipse}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Can I please use one of those as my avatar???

:love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sure can !

emsparks, on Nov 7 2004, 01:32 AM, said:

I suggest that Gigi and Eclipse collaborate and design the Ex isle order of the "Golden Typewriter" for service to the community above and beyond.
:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

hmmmm .... maybe so ......
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users