^Thank you Nick.

Pickles

#62 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:05 PM

Yeah the gang up is wrong.  But so is the conduct that precipitated it and I'm *still* waiting for someone to do something about that.  

Just sayin'...
Posted Image

#63 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:11 PM

I make no apologies. I really could care less what folks here think of me.

If you feel action must be taken, you know what to do.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

:smirk:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#64 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:18 PM

Shal in the last three days I have seen a number of generalization aimed at the Republicans. I pointed out in a few of theose threads where I felt it had happened. Nothing was done.

The ganging up on Ogami I have been expecting for sometime.  I do not expect him to go gently into that good night. I also expect that those who jumped on him will feel proud when he is gotten rid of.  After all while he is wrong 50%  of the time he seems on the makr with a number of his other comments.

I have felt that I and others have been attacked.  I no lo0nger care what the rules are. I am assuing there are none. and that we are at war. If you want to try nad stop this . You and the other mods should have started  sooner.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#65 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:21 PM

[Keeps mod hat off]

It isn't about your opinion, or other people's opinion of you, DM.  The military service crack was a really low blow, as is all of this cheerleading against a particular poster.

Ogami's opinionated--we all are.  I disagree with him vehemently about just about everything political, and he can come off very abrasively.  But often when I or the other mods have to PM him about something, he usually responds very graciously when asked politely.  Which is more than I can say about you.

You're flat out picking on the man, and it's just plain mean.

-Nick

#66 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

A breath of fresh air from our very own CJ!

Attached Files

• Attached File  cj.gif   2.27K   6 downloads

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#67 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

MuseZack, on Nov 7 2004, 11:13 PM, said:

Conservatives shouldn't assert the prerogatives of victory and then claim the compensations of defeat as well. You can't oppress us and simultaneously complain that we are oppressing you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Zack if  it werer not for the fact you folks have attacked from the end of the 2000 election it might be possible to tell who won. But every chance the left has had to attack it has done with so much venom and spite that I can only assume that is all they are capable of having.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#68 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:36 PM

G1223, on Nov 7 2004, 10:18 PM, said:

Shal in the last three days I have seen a number of generalization aimed at the Republicans. I pointed out in a few of theose threads where I felt it had happened. Nothing was done.

I have felt that I and others have been attacked.  I no lo0nger care what the rules are. I am assuing there are none. and that we are at war. If you want to try nad stop this . You and the other mods should have started  sooner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They go both ways, G, and the mods try our damnedest to be even-handed, and it's really frustrating when we get accused of being biased.  And just because nothing appears to have been done--check the guidelines, we're supposed to resolve things privately wherever possible.  I've broken that little modding rule, myself, a couple of times by going public so that people can see that we're actually trying to DO something.  (And let me tell you how well that little idea DIDN'T work.)

But now I'm turning the tables.  Frankly, all that being a mod does for me is gives me a blue bar under my name and I can edit other people's posts, move threads, and discuss things with the other mods in the SL.

That's it.

All I am actually capable of DOING is PMing someone to play nice, posting a comment for everyone to play nice, or editing a post myself if it's over the line on profanity/obscenity.

Suspensions and all that require concensus and only admins can press that button.

I'm here to moderate, not dictate.  Would everyone feel warm and squishy if I went and edited half the posts in this thread to remove the content offensive to other posters?  Hell no!

Calling for "a war" and "no rules" and all that rot sounds nice and dramatic--but ultimately it's the community that polices itself.

And you know how well this community responds to threats.

The only way to stop the name-calling and negativity is for each and every one of us to stop doing it, and if anyone thinks they're not capable of basic civility towards people they disagree with, then maybe a politcs forum isn't a good place for them to be.

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 07 November 2004 - 10:43 PM.

#69 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:47 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Nov 7 2004, 04:14 PM, said:

You know I often have heard the expression that in a argument a good case can be hurt by those who agree with you.  This place is the epitome of it.  Have a I heard democrats say things since the election that has raised my eyebrow in annoyance?  Sure but you know that has been fairly isolated and limited to a few individuals.  What has gotten under my skin is the ungracious winners in this situation many who fall somewhere(many of them on the fringes) of the conservative element that I myself belong to.  Bush won so yay and Kerry lost so yay.  Now get over it and stop dragging every liberal’s noses through the mud incessantly. 

Argue and defend your convictions when you have to but that doesn’t mean vilifying people and spilling out garbage.  We have four more years of a conservative government and it shouldn’t be spent looking back bragging and gloating.  Instead we should be looking to the future to setup policies that will prove to the public why conservative government works.  In addition why they should vote into office in 2008 another Republican who is preferably a political realist and not a neocon. And frankly while I have had issues with the moderation at times I have never once felt suppressed for being a conservative by the moderation.  With that I’ll note I have said things just as conservative as those who scream oppression yet I have not been warned.  This is not a issue of what your political views are but rather how you choose to express them and whether that expression is cordial and non offensive to others.  No our moderation and the pitfalls in it do not come down to where you stand on the political spectrum but rather personality.     

Now anyone want to call me a “'open-minded tolerant' leftist [that is] demanding other views be silenced” through my black listing and censorship?  I’d love to see someone make that case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU CJ for bringing some class to this thread.  :)

You're a better person than me.

:angel:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#70 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Nick I asked time and a agian and got nowhere. So maybe you can agree we both tired of this. I am done with treating the mods as if they are going to be fair. I have seen them not being so.

TANSTAAFL

#71 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

WHAT NICK SAID

What does it hurt to be civil?  What does it hurt to think of others before you post?  What effort does it take to be kind and thoughtful?  Answering a question courteously, instead of making the asker feel small.

Nothing! It doesn't hurt you the poster.  It doesn't dilute your argument/ point of view - It only makes you look better - because you've taken a moment to think about your fellow board members.

Remember that saying you hope that some one dies horribly, or hurts, merely makes you look small and petty. That putting some one else down for their opinions and views is mean spirited. Denigrateing another's beliefs is narrow minded and intolerant....

and there's not a single one of us on this board who is perfect....NONE of us should be throwing stones.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#72 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:59 PM

Nick, on Nov 7 2004, 10:21 PM, said:

[Keeps mod hat off]

It isn't about your opinion, or other people's opinion of you, DM.  The military service crack was a really low blow, as is all of this cheerleading against a particular poster.

Ogami's opinionated--we all are.  I disagree with him vehemently about just about everything political, and he can come off very abrasively.  But often when I or the other mods have to PM him about something, he usually responds very graciously when asked politely.  Which is more than I can say about you.

You're flat out picking on the man, and it's just plain mean.

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said I was a nice person. And I do have a dark, vicious streak. I can be a real prick if I want to be.

Again-I make no apologies. If that makes me a pariah on this board, so be it.

I can live with that.

:smirk:

Edited by Digital Man, 07 November 2004 - 11:00 PM.

Posted Image

#73 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:06 PM

If that makes me a pariah on this board, so be it.

A pariah? On the Exisle that means that you finally belong here.;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#74 Number_6

Number_6

Drunken Professor

• Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 7 2004, 10:05 PM, said:

Yeah the gang up is wrong.  But so is the conduct that precipitated it and I'm *still* waiting for someone to do something about that. 

Just sayin'...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why the need to control others?  Why the need to try and get others punished?

What is your problem?  Why don't you just move along, and leave other people to sort out their own arguments?  Why do you feel the need to step in an demand that what YOU want be done, immediately?

Over 18,000 posts here in two years.  How many of those are you butting your nose in and demanding that the world adhere to your standards of right and wrong and fixing things to make certain that your thin skin remains unoffended?

And I will NOT edit this.  From what I've read around here, and from PMs I've received from others, this is a LEGITIMATE grievance.  You need to learn to live and let live.

#75 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:18 PM

Nick, on Nov 7 2004, 08:36 PM, said:

But now I'm turning the tables.  Frankly, all that being a mod does for me is gives me a blue bar under my name and I can edit other people's posts, move threads, and discuss things with the other mods in the SL.

That's it.

All I am actually capable of DOING is PMing someone to play nice, posting a comment for everyone to play nice, or editing a post myself if it's over the line on profanity/obscenity.

Suspensions and all that require concensus and only admins can press that button.

I'm here to moderate, not dictate.  Would everyone feel warm and squishy if I went and edited half the posts in this thread to remove the content offensive to other posters?  Hell no!

Calling for "a war" and "no rules" and all that rot sounds nice and dramatic--but ultimately it's the community that polices itself.

And you know how well this community responds to threats.

The only way to stop the name-calling and negativity is for each and every one of us to stop doing it, and if anyone thinks they're not capable of basic civility towards people they disagree with, then maybe a politcs forum isn't a good place for them to be.

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This just needs to be said.....

Posted Image
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#76 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:23 PM

^

I adore your buttons, GiGi. :)

#77 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:23 PM

DWF, on Nov 7 2004, 11:06 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think so, huh?  Hm.  I wonder how many share that POV.  :ninja:

I'm still scratching my head at Lil calling me a pooh bear.  :wow:

She keeps ignoring the fangs.

:sly:
Posted Image

#78 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

Digital Man, on Nov 7 2004, 11:23 PM, said:

DWF, on Nov 7 2004, 11:06 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think so, huh?  Hm.  I wonder how many share that POV.  :ninja:

I'm still scratching my head at Lil calling me a pooh bear.  :wow:

She keeps ignoring the fangs.

:sly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah I think so, do a search for Battlestar Galcatica and my and name and you'll see I know how it feels.;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#79 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:56 PM

Hehehe, thanks Gigi! :blush:

Saul, we all have mean streaks, some more than others--all I'm asking is for you--for everyone, to knock it off w/ the name calling and negativity.  There's simply no need for it, and it does nothing but cause trouble and hurt feelings.  Be the bigger person.  A catty below-the-belt reply only fuels the fires--besides, I know you're capable of much more insightful comments than petty insults.

Number 6, the Lil obsession's getting old.  You'll never earn that shiny "I got banned by ExIsle!" pin without at least a little more creativity.

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 08 November 2004 - 12:10 AM.

#80 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:59 PM

^

Nick is my hero. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users