131 replies to this topic

#81 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:13 AM

G1223, on Nov 8 2004, 04:47 AM, said:

Nick I asked time and a agian and got nowhere. So maybe you can agree we both tired of this. I am done with treating the mods as if they are going to be fair. I have seen them not being so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who did you ask G? I'm still waiting for that PM pointing me to the problem posts.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#82 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:31 AM

shambalayogi said:

I read this in the nonprint NY times this morning.  I thought it was worth passing on.

ok. Folks Back to work op-ed

If you don't want to be political there are any number of ways to help make something in this world better.

--Give money to a cause you believe in--not $100 or $1000 is required!! Give $5 or even $1 to some cause--Animal shelters, Humane Societies, a charity or organization you believe in, political or not.   I give 10 or 20 dollars a year to two orgs I truly believe in. Sometimes I can give more, sometimes I can't. 

--Give food or money to a local food bank

--Give out used clothes or household supplies to Salvation Army or good will or some local group. Religious organizations often take this kind of stuff.

--Give animal food and supplies to an animal shelter.  Give blankets, bedding etc. you don't need to an animal shelter.

--Volunteer some time in someplace it's needed.

--Organizations to help military families are often set up in local places to help those who have mom or dad in Iraq or other places overseas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW - excellent post, shambalayogi! :welldone: Those are all very good ideas. If we can't improve the world on a large scale (yet), then we can do our best to improve it on the small, person to person scale in which we live.

{{{{{{shambalayogi}}}}}}
Per aspera ad astra

#83 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:43 AM

Number_6, on Nov 7 2004, 08:16 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 7 2004, 10:05 PM, said:

Yeah the gang up is wrong.  But so is the conduct that precipitated it and I'm *still* waiting for someone to do something about that. 

Just sayin'...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to learn to live and let live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you need to simply get a life.
Posted Image

#84 Number_6

Number_6

Drunken Professor

• Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:03 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 8 2004, 01:43 AM, said:

Number_6, on Nov 7 2004, 08:16 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 7 2004, 10:05 PM, said:

Yeah the gang up is wrong.  But so is the conduct that precipitated it and I'm *still* waiting for someone to do something about that. 

Just sayin'...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to learn to live and let live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you need to simply get a life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have one, hence my low post count, here and everywhere else I post.

#85 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:05 AM

Okay okay, enough of this now. Let's get back to intelligent discussion.

#86 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:07 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Nov 7 2004, 09:14 PM, said:

Instead we should be looking to the future to setup policies that will prove to the public why conservative government works. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.... although I'm far enough to the left on the political spectrum that I doubt I'll ever be convinced of all aspects of conservative government working. ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#87 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:16 AM

G1223 wrote:

I have felt that I and others have been attacked. I no lo0nger care what the rules are.

The rules are simple around here, in practice.

A liberal (moderate, progressive, centrist, whatever) says that I or one of the other conservative posters is stupid, ignorant, bigoted, or an otherwise bad person, that's okay. How cute!

A conservative says something about the Democratic leadership, democratic columnists, democratic activists, or anyone else in the news, and the posters here bawl "He's talking about me, I've been impugned, someone stop him!"

While I note the contrast, I put up with it. I don't ask anyone else to be banned or censored, and I simply ask for the same benefit. That's all.

-Ogami

#88 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:26 AM

I've said thsi before, I'll say it again. If you feel we are ignoring these issues. ie.

A liberal (moderate, progressive, centrist, whatever) says that I or one of the other conservative posters is stupid, ignorant, bigoted, or an otherwise bad person, that's okay

Then point them out to me. tell me which posts specifically you feel do this, and i will garantuee that i'll bring it up in the mod lounge.

Yet funnily enough, no one, not ONCE has anyone pmmed me with such a post, and i'm forced to wonder why not. If it is a problem, and your post insinuates that it is, then why not PM me that post, and let us deal with ti, rather than complaining endlessly about the double astandard without ever trying to resolve the issue.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#89 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:37 AM

Digital Man says:

And am I the only one who finds Ogami's new avatar-Mr. Burns-to be QUITE apt??

My computer has a wav clip of Mr. Burns going "What act of unmitigated evil can the Republican Party perform today???"

-Ogami

#90 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

I don't PM about that because I don't ask that people be banned. Period.

As far as finding such threads, Steven, just read.

#91 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:48 AM

Ogami, on Nov 8 2004, 02:39 PM, said:

I don't PM about that because I don't ask that people be banned. Period.

Nobody would get banned. Period. We don't tend to ban on a whim Ogami, and if there was something that was so truly vile that a fulla nd permanent ban was required, then I think someone would have noticed it before now.

As far as finding such threads, Steven, just read

So you aren't willing to point to a single example? Help me out here Ogami, as I'm obviously having a hard time finding these masses of conservative abshing generalisations. All I'm asking for is a single example. Surely, as blind as I am to this problem, you can provide me with one single such example?

Help me out here Ogami, as whatever it is that you are seeing, i'm not seeing it. I'm nto perfect, and I have my own history and emotional biases to contend with, so please point one of them out to me.

Defy Gravity!

#92 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:13 AM

Steven, there are a multitude of threads attacking myself and other conservatives on this board personally, not conservatives in general. Personal attacks against me, G1223, Mr. Calgary, and a few others for daring to think differently from the herd.

I could care less what is said about conservatives in general. We are individually attacked to our faces, Steven.

If you don't see it, why ask?

-Ogami

#93 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:22 AM

Ogami, on Nov 8 2004, 03:13 PM, said:

If you don't see it, why ask?

If it's a problem, why won't you help us get it solved?

I am trying to see this pattern of personal attacks, I genuinly am, but i'm obviously missing something ehre, and if you won't help me, there isn't an awfull lot I can do to make it better

Help me Ogami, help me make things better.

Edited by Steven_Q, 08 November 2004 - 09:24 AM.

Defy Gravity!

#94 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:35 AM

Okay, Steven. Here's a thread you've posted on.

http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=21962

Kindly read the exchanges between Spectacles and Number 6 and Mr. Calgary.

Disagree with a liberal on gay marriage, and you must be a bigot. That's the artful implication, although it's rather overt.

Liberals make a habit of labelling anyone who disagrees with them as sexists, racists, and bigots. While we conservatives have learned to get thick skins over this, that doesn't make it right. Why can't issues be discussed and debated without personal attacks on the posters themselves?

Answer: Because the left doesn't debate ideas, they debate the moral character (or lack thereof) of other posters. I guess it's easier.

-Ogami

#95 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:49 AM

Liberals make a habit of labelling anyone who disagrees with them as sexists, racists, and bigots. While we conservatives have learned to get thick skins over this, that doesn't make it right. Why can't issues be discussed and debated without personal attacks on the posters themselves?

Okay, I've re-read that thread.

and i'm honestly left scratching my head in confusion.

The only two posts which use the word 'bigot' that I could find were both posts made by you, and the only other thign I could find that struck me as offensive, was Spectacles assumption that Nr6 and Mr Calgary's opinions were based on contempt.

Was that what you were talking about? Because other than that, I could find no reference to labelling, racism, sexist or bigotry in any of Spectacle's posts.

Two things struck me. The first is that the only person to use the word bigot in the thread, was yourself, and second, that the only 'personal' attack by Spectacles I could see what when he said that

Edited by Steven_Q, 08 November 2004 - 09:50 AM.

Defy Gravity!

#96 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:51 AM

You asked and you received. Thus showing there's no need for me to look up any others.

Liberals can attack conservatives to their faces on this board, and be congratulated. Let one of us say something about Martin Sheen or Michael Moore on this board, and by golly we must be attacking other posters here.

Thanks for clarifying, Steven.

-Ogami

#97 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:54 AM

Ogami, on Nov 8 2004, 03:51 PM, said:

You asked and you received. Thus showing there's no need for me to look up any others.

uhm, okay.

Liberals can attack conservatives to their faces on this board, and be congratulated.

:Oo: huh ? where in the thread is anyone congratulating anyone? i swear I must be going blind or something. Did you mean Spectacles comments? you didn't answer that question.(i think)

Thanks for clarifying, Steven.

I'm glad you feel clarified, i'm more confused than when I started

Defy Gravity!

#98 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

WELL! this thread took some interesting turns since I've last been here.  :eek2:  :lol:

No, I don't disapprove at all, I just haven't been online since Friday night.  Thanks for the warm fuzzy answers, {{trikay and Kevin Street}} and {{Lil}}:)  I did't expect Kerry to win either but he did as well as I hoped he would.  

I can't respond individually to all of the other posts here and I"m not neglecting anyone on purpose! Thanks for the responses, today is another better day!

Edited by shambalayogi, 08 November 2004 - 11:01 AM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#99 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:37 AM

Ogami, I just reread that thread as well, looking as carefully as I can for any sort of liberal's bashing of conservatives - particularly the inter action between #6 and Spectacles....

I don't know what you are seeing but this conservative doesn't find a darn thing that goes over the guidelines. Not a thing.

If you believe there is please point it out sentence by sentence. And saying that if I can't see it it is seome how my fault doesn't cut it - the accusations have been made so- prove them.

And G1223 - you too have repeeatedly made comment that we the staff are being unfair.  I request that you too give us posts specifically to back up your assertions.  If you can or will not then please stop your comments.

Lay out the evidence. - I read every post in this forum. I look at them as dispassionately as humanly possible - and while of late I have seen unparalleled nastines, and thoughtlessness in general - since the free pass days ended I haven't seen anything that crosses the guidelines.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#100 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

Shamba thank you for posting that piece - the ideas are wonderful all. Every bit of help we can be and do , not matter how small has an effect - we may not be able to see it first hand but it is none the less still there.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users