Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Suicide At Ground Zero

Obituaries Suicide at Ground zero Bush re-election

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:33 PM

http://story.news.ya...id=519&ncid=716

Ground Zero Suicide Inspired by Election

2 hours, 29 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A 25-year-old man from Georgia who was apparently distraught over President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election shot and killed himself at ground zero. Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Aw jeeeze....!!!!

:sarcasm:  :angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:36 PM

What a waste of a life.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:38 PM

^

I was around that area in the early afternoon, going for my weekly bike ride around New York City.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:45 PM

I am so sorry to hear this.  What a terrible thing for him and for his family.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

One less loony around.  At least that's one real Democrat who has the guts to stand by his convictions!!
Goodbye.

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:52 PM

This is so sad. My heart goes out to his family
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:23 PM

darthsikle, on Nov 7 2004, 01:47 PM, said:

One less loony around.  At least that's one real Democrat who has the guts to stand by his convictions!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shut up.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

It really is a little un-nerving for me. :( When I go bike riding, I take the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) train from New Jersey down to the World Trade Center site, then I ride uptown.

I didn't notice any unusual activity when I arrived there, and I rode my bike back to the WTC site to take the PATH train back to New Jersey. Things seemed to be normal.

At least, he didn't take out his frustrations on other folks. :unsure:
Posted Image

#9 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:42 PM

darthsikle, on Nov 7 2004, 10:47 AM, said:

One less loony around.  At least that's one real Democrat who has the guts to stand by his convictions!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's comments like this that leave me with an irrational hatred of all people that identify themselves as Republicans and, in particular, conservatives.  Thank god for people like Rov, LoP, and a couple of friends in RL who are both Republicans and decent human beings.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#10 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:18 PM

Digital Man, on Nov 7 2004, 12:28 PM, said:

It really is a little un-nerving for me. :( When I go bike riding, I take the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) train from New Jersey down to the World Trade Center site, then I ride uptown.

I didn't notice any unusual activity when I arrived there, and I rode my bike back to the WTC site to take the PATH train back to New Jersey. Things seemed to be normal.

At least, he didn't take out his frustrations on other folks. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:(

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Saul}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#11 Number_6

Number_6

Drunken Professor

• Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:31 PM

Now if we could just get Michael Moore to do the same . . .

#12 Foreigner

Foreigner

Writer & Certified nutcase

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

Very odd. :|

#13 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:02 PM

darthsikle, on Nov 7 2004, 06:47 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you ever think that the fearmongering tactics that went on in this election would do deep damage to individuals already troubled for many other reasons? Make the pain they were already experiencing in their normal life that much more unbearable?

The anxiety issues faced by so many individuals in this country have gotten worse since 9/11 not better. And the campaign rheotoric I heard coming out in this election --and I'm not pointing any fingers 'cause both groups did their share-- hasn't helped.

Besides his Mom picked that as the main source of his despondency is the one thing that she can put her finger on as a cause, the first thing that comes to mind or the maybe the thing he was talking about the most. I'm very sure there were a lot of other factors here that had nothing to do with the election. This was just perhaps the last straw for him.

In the grand tradition of the Southern lady I simply say to you who express the same belief that is shown in the above quote ....Well, bless your soul

And anyone that has ever lived in the South can tell you that isn't a blessing  ;)

Edited by trikay, 07 November 2004 - 08:38 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#14 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

About the rather abrasive and unsensitive comments above: I am a conservative, and I still think it's sad and a horrible waste of life. Suicide is a very stupid thing to do, but when you're that distraught it's not like you're thinking clearly.

And it's not like all conservatives feel the same way the people who said those comments do, and to generally dislike one group of people just because of some loud-mouthed individuals isn't very nice  :pout:

It's beyond me why anyone would feel so horribly about the election that they have to remove themselves from this world, though.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:36 PM

Annibal, on Nov 7 2004, 05:28 PM, said:

It's beyond me why anyone would feel so horribly about the election that they have to remove themselves from this world, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this person had issues that went beyond that, IMHO. :(

And like I said-at least he didn't kill or injure anyone else.

:whatsthat:
Posted Image

#16 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:14 PM

Digital Man, on Nov 7 2004, 02:36 PM, said:

And like I said-at least he didn't kill or injure anyone else.

:whatsthat:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here I would disagree. He has injured his family, possibly beyond repair for some of them; others will spend years working through what has taken place. Suicide is a very selfish act, but the person committing suicide cannot see that, because they have become so very focused on themselves. It's a horrible viscous cycle with far sweeping consequences.

My heart breaks for his family. :cry:

Pickles

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

I'm a conservative and I find this to be doubly sad. First and foremost because this person obviously felt that there was no other option to him.

Secondly because of the harsh and cruel statements made by some in this thread. Do you find it amusing to make lame jokes about this? Is suicide that funny to you people? Jeeeze, get a life.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#18 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:28 PM

What LotS said!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#19 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:40 PM

Chipper, on Nov 7 2004, 07:23 PM, said:

darthsikle, on Nov 7 2004, 01:47 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shut up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm, no.  See, this country is so wonderful that I can say insensitive things like that.  The guy is nothing but a quitter and the world is better off without him.
Goodbye.

#20 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:40 PM

Number_6, on Nov 7 2004, 08:31 PM, said:

Now if we could just get Michael Moore to do the same . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone heard from him lately???
Goodbye.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Suicide at Ground zero, Bush re-election

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users