You're acting kinda shady....
and calling me baby.......

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

If one believes in a afterlife...  Well Stalin and Hitler just got a new roommate.
Edit: If he doesn't return to life 30 mins from now again....

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 10 November 2004 - 11:26 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:45 PM

ding dong the bastard is dead.  let him stay in hell with Hitler and Stalin and Hussein's sons.

now the Israelis should have a little peace....the Palestinians will spend more time killing each other to take Arafat's place and less time targeting innocents....and dead terrorists are no loss to the world.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:14 AM

Cheile, on Nov 10 2004, 11:45 PM, said:

ding dong the bastard is dead.  let him stay in hell with Hitler and Stalin and Hussein's sons.

now the Israelis should have a little peace....the Palestinians will spend more time killing each other to take Arafat's place and less time targeting innocents....and dead terrorists are no loss to the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

:rolleyes:

People still miss the point that it is not the entire Palestinian population that wants the Israelis dead (and vice versa).

But we just can't have it both ways now can we? :rolleyes:

May the guy rot in hell for all I care, but let's hope some peace comes afterwards.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:48 AM

Why all the secrecy about what killed Arafat?

The French doctors, according to what I read at Yahoo, refuse to disclose what did him in.

:suspect:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:52 AM

Digital Man, on Nov 10 2004, 10:48 PM, said:

The French doctors, according to what I read at Yahoo, refuse to disclose what did him in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

probably being threatened by Arafat's thugs :snort:  his little wife is already bitching that his top aides are trying to take over.  seems to me that what i predicted will likely happen.

Chipper, yea i'm aware that not all on both sides hate each other.  but the way i see it is....there will be less attacks for awhile b/c it's likely the Palestinians will spend awhile killing each other to replace Arafat.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:20 AM

Digital Man, on Nov 11 2004, 05:48 AM, said:

From what little I know this may have more to do with French laws on medical disclosure than anything else.  

As for Arafat himself, you won't see me dancing a jig over his death but I can't help but feel that with him gone there just may be a real chance for peace, eventually.  After 1993 it quickly became clear to me that things would never change as long as he remained in charge.

#9 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

I agree with you, this man founded the PLO, the organization that made terrorist a household word back in the early 1970s and began the tide of such organizations that the world has to deal with today. I would have considered it a kind of miracle for someone who had been leading this sort of organization for decades to be able to make the transition to manager of a functioning nation from a purely psychological perspective not to mention everything else that has happened to damage the area.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#10 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:40 AM

Then there's the money.
Y'a think the PLO will continue to maintain Suha in the style to which she has become accustomed, or will some digs in a fashionable Paris neighborhood soon become available?

Edited by Julianus, 11 November 2004 - 03:41 AM.

#11 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:08 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dollars will get you doughnuts that someone will claim that the Israelis poisoned him, and something like that will catch fire among the radical elements.

#12 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:32 AM

*yawn*

I can't say I'm  sad about this news.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#13 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:06 AM

Why do I think that Arafat is going to turn into the next Elvis....
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:42 AM

Good riddance. Arafat was a success at terror, a failure at peacemaking. Things may or may not improve, but at least he's gone. Even better, he didn't die a martyr's death. He died an addled old man, without his headscarf, in the decadent West. The images of his last days--complete with images of his wife ensconced in luxury while his people barely scratch a living out of the dust--may hurt his legacy among the Palestinians.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#15 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:40 AM

Yasser Arafatís death what does it mean?

Ask me that question ten years from now. For now Iíll just pray that ensuing upheaval in the Palestinian territories and Israel wonít be too bad. Nothing in the Middle East is easy.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#16 Douglas

Douglas
  • Islander
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:54 AM

Unfortunately I think things may get bloodier before they get better.  Arafat played the 1984 game, using anger directed at Isreal to keep himself in power, but in recent years most of the killing from the Palestinian side has been done by other groups like Hamas.  Arafat and his cronies were making cash selling concrete to the Isreali government for them to build the wall while using the wal to keep themselves in power.

If someone who wasn't like that got into power; someone who actually believes, and is going to use the billions stashed away to actually do some real damage instread of living comfortably, there could be a whole lot more blood on the sand before this is over.

We may hope for a moderate instead, but I'm feeling pessimistic right now.

#17 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:49 AM

Good riddance.

The man had millions if not a billion of financial aid that should have gone to building the Palestinian infrastructure and teaching new generations of doctors, engineers, and innovators. Instead Yasser fostored a culture of death and led countless young men and women to their early deaths.

The Palestinians have been turned into animals who have no respect for life or civilization, because their leaders chose that path for them. It may take the natural (or unnatural) demise of other leaders like Yasser before the Palestinian people can begin embracing life instead of embracing death as their motto.

-Ogami

#18 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,094 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:10 PM

I've heard that there's the rumor that Yasser Arafat had an identical twin brother named "Nosir Araskinny" as in "No Sir" "Ara skinny" ;)

Sad joke, but it's the play on words... :)

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#19 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

D'Monix, on Nov 11 2004, 04:08 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dollars will get you doughnuts that someone will claim that the Israelis poisoned him, and something like that will catch fire among the radical elements.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone already made this claim (at least the the Israelis killed him) to a reporter. It was shown earlier this evening on CBS news.

Edited by Anastashia, 11 November 2004 - 08:51 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#20 arethusa

arethusa

Go, Fraggle, go!

• Islander
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:56 PM

I apologize if this is a dumb question (because whoever says there is no such thing as a dumb question obviously hasn't heard me speak in class).  Don't the Israelis want to do away with the Palestinians as much as the Palestinians want to do away with the Israelis?  I'm not overly familiar with Israeli/Palestinian politics because it makes my head spin, but from what I understand, Palestinians were firmly ensconsed in that area before the Israelis came in.  When did the Israelis lose control of their homeland anyway?  Way back in the era of the Roman empires?

Will someone please educate me?
Damn the man.

"Enlighten you?  Uh, the Divine is good, don't do Flash, and if you're nice to people they probably still won't be nice to you.  Now run along, kids.  Daddy's working."
"And now, it's time for the Harpercentric part of the action!"
~Harper

"Um, I've been turned into a cow.  Can I go home?"
~Emperor's New Groove

Doylie Number Nine: Keeper of Doyle's Sense of Humor
Until someone says no, I also declare myself Keeper of Harper's New Mohawk.  Sexy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Arafat, Palestinian Leader, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users