Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

World Aids Day: December 1, 2004

Public Health World AIDS Day 2004

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:44 AM

http://www.unaids.or...2004/index.html

This World AIDS Day, the news is sobering -- the epidemic continues to spread in every region of the world. The number of people living with HIV globally has reached its highest level with close to 40 million people, up from 36.6 million in 2002. The steepest increases in HIV infections occurred in East Asia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia over the past two years.

The number of women living with HIV is on the rise in every region. Today the face of AIDS is increasingly young and female. This has profound implications—we will not be able to stop this epidemic unless we put women at the heart of the response to AIDS.

Prevention methods such as the “ABC” approach – Abstinence, Be faithful, and use Condoms – are good but not enough to protect women where gender inequality is pervasive. We must ensure that women can choose marriage, to decide when and with whom they have sex, and to successfully negotiate condom use.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

How long has December 1st been world aids day?
Can't Touch This!!

#3 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:04 PM

At least the last couple.  I remember seeing that The Corrs played (as they have since then) back in 01 WAD benefit concert.

A quick search on google leads to it starting back in '88 "Join The Worldwide Effort"
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#4 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:55 PM

They could use some good Pub. Not enough people paying attention.
Can't Touch This!!

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:00 PM

I remember several years back that there was a World Aids day unless I'm confusinf it with something else. Mostly because one of the American soap operas did a big thing about it every year. In the form of a fundraising event within the show where not only did they spotlight the actors other talents like singing and dancing but they did some education

I guess things like that became less important to them as time went by :(

Otherwise it really hasn't been mentioned except as maybe part of the info crawl at teh botom of the screen during the news.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:09 AM

Kosh, on Dec 2 2004, 09:55 PM, said:

They could use some good Pub. Not enough people paying attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well last year they did have a big benefit for it.  http://www.netaid.org/  This had a mega-"Live Aid" kind of feel to it as a they had a massive concert.  Everyone from U2 to The Corrs to Beyonce to Queen to...well you get the picture, took part in a several hour long concert which aired on several networks (MTV, VH1, [I think WGN]...and the internet [which up until they redid their site a little while ago you could still watch the stream of it].  The name was Nelson Mandel's prisoner number (I forgot sorry) as he was the one who started it.  (I think there was another reason why which I also have forgotten.  Sorry.  sue me.  :hehe:)

This is another project Bono has helped start/create and has been promoting it very well across the globe and media.

www.data.org/
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, World AIDS Day, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users