18 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/4073897.stm

A reduction in the time people spend asleep could partly account for soaring obesity rates, a study has revealed.
Researchers at the University of Bristol have found that hormonal changes caused by lack of sleep could lead to increased appetite.

The population-based study examined more than 1,000 volunteers.

Report author Dr Shahrad Taheri said: "Individuals who spent less than eight hours sleeping were shown to have a greater likelihood of being heavier."

The research, carried out in conjunction with US scientists, is one of three published in recent weeks to produce similar results.

It found that people who habitually slept for five hours had 15% more ghrelin, a hormone which increases feelings of hunger, than those who slept for eight hours.

Those who slept for less time were also found to have 15% less leptin, a hormone which suppresses appetite.

"These differences are likely to increase appetite and, in societies where food is readily available, this may contribute to obesity," Dr Taheri said.

"It is important for people to realise there is more to obesity than just stuffing your face."

The results of the study were replicated in a second piece of research, led by the University of Chicago.

This study found people who slept for only four hours a night for twonights had an 18% reduction in leptin, anda 28% increase in ghrelin.

The young men in the study also tended to eat more sweet and starchy foods when sleep was cut short.

A third recent study, by Columbia University, also found found people who slept four hours or less per night were 73% more likely to be obese.

Thoughts?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

So if a person sleeps 12 hours, or more, a day they should be skinny? Hmmm, think I'll go to bed now. Wake me in 24hours...lol.

Seriously, I do find this study interesting. Perhaps that's why new parents seem to gain weight. Waking up every couple of hours to feed the baby.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

I have head it said time and again by healers -

"Sleep is food"
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:02 PM

Hmm, it's not clear to me how these experiments were run. If they just asked people how much they usually sleep, or keep track of how much someone sleeps, then the research is correlational only and could just mean that hungry people sleep less.

But if they took a random sample, and forced people to sleep a certain amount, then this would be more credible.

But, like most news of this nature, the details are skimmed off.

#5 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:37 PM

I sleep so much, Hambil nicknamed me Koala Bear. Does this mean I'd eat even more if I slept less? :eek2:
Posted Image

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

I average 4 1/2-5 hours sleep a night. On rare occasions, 6 hours.  :eh:

At one point I was getting way too heavy-but I've increased my cycling and cut down on eating. I've lost weight.

Unfortunately, my days are rather jam-packed and stressful.

:pout:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:17 PM

I have trouble sleeping more than 6 hours a night myself and my sleep doctor is always telling me to get more sleep and of course to lose weight, which should help out overall, but my bladder won't allow me to get too much sleep and of course my urologist wants me to go to the bathroom more often.  :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:23 PM

I don't know about that. I think I've become...slightly emaciated of late, with my all-nighters and whatnot. Of course, I'm not eating very well lately, either. That could be part of it.

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:04 PM

The study doesn't say much. It could mean people who put more emphasis on eating and living well include healthly amounts of sleep w/ that.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#10 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:58 PM

In a primitive society and in many farming communitiesí even today, people have little to do when the sun is not up. So their bodies rest and have ample time to convert the ingested animal fats in to glucose.

When the body is awake longer then it should be it looks for other food sources to get the needed sugar, the glucose, faster. Starches and good old sucrose are compounds that can be converted to glucose, much faster then the ingested and stored, animal fat. The body having evolved over extended periods of famine has learned to store the excess animal fat it gets, for leaner times. So the combination of a 24-hour society, and all kinds of foods in super abundance, results in obese populations. Which by the way is just one of natureís ways to limit the population in time of plenty, given that obese people are susceptible to a whole host of fatal illnessí.

I am not a partygoer; I suffer sleep apnea, to the rate of stopping breathing 100 times a night, and am awake about every hour. I have suffered this all my life and since age seven have been over weight. I now have colon cancer, a disease linked to obesity, which I am. If the cancer does not kill me, the obesity will.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:53 PM

I suffer sleep apnea, to the rate of stopping breathing 100 times a night, and am awake about every hour. I have suffered this all my life and since age seven have been over weight.

You should see a sleep doctor and get either a Bi/PAP or CPAP machine, I use one anbd I get a full night's sleep and your breathing won't stop.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

^^^
Been there done that. I cannot sleep without my CPAP machine, and my breathing still stops. Iím still awake almost every 45 minutes or an hour, with the CPAP machine.

Edited by emsparks, 17 December 2004 - 07:04 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

^^^Sorry to hear about that, maybe it needs a higher adjustment.  :unsure:

#14 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

What this survey says to me is not that obese people are that way because they don't sleep much, but that people who don't sleep much for one reason or another run a risk of becoming obese...

But I'm sure that like so many things in life, it ain't that simple an equation. There are lots more factors involved too.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:49 PM

DWF, on Dec 17 2004, 03:53 PM, said:

I suffer sleep apnea, to the rate of stopping breathing 100 times a night, and am awake about every hour. I have suffered this all my life and since age seven have been over weight.
You should see a sleep doctor and get either a Bi/PAP or CPAP machine, I use one anbd I get a full night's sleep and your breathing won't stop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get my CPAP machine Thursday.  I was skeptical about it at Sleep Clinic last September, but the third nose thingee they tried worked for me.  I couldn't sleep with the ones that cover the nose or the nose and mouth, but when they tried the one that comes up over the head and shoots air into the nose without covering it, I was out before I was finished grumbling that I wouldn't be able to sleep.  :rolleyes:

emsparks, on Dec 17 2004, 04:04 PM, said:

Been there done that. I cannot sleep without my CPAP machine, and my breathing still stops. Iím still awake almost every 45 minutes or an hour, with the CPAP machine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently there are more options now.  The techs I'll be seeing Thursday also have sleep apnea.  They found that trying the newer nose thingees helped them.  Also, the one I'm getting allows me to sleep on my side instead of my back, and that helps me too.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Brynhilde

Brynhilde

An ardent admirer

• Islander
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:28 PM

Hmm.. thats interesting. I'm a little over 7 stone, at 5 foot 7 in height, and I eat like a horse and sleep.. usually 8 hours or so, and yet, when I had insomnia (didn't sleep for about 3 or 4 days) sometimes I had interrupted sleep as well... I actually lost weight. Odd, possibly stress levels which connect the two could have something to do with it, but its an interesting study :)

I suppose the longer you're awake, the more you tend to do, so the more you burn energy and respire and stuff, so the more energy (food) you need.  Fairly basic biology points towards that.
"Ah, get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift..."

~ Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

#17 The Groovy Mule

The Groovy Mule

Scratch My Nose

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

Interesting study, but all it really seems to say is that people who get less sleep eat fattier foods, and the fatty foods put on the weight.

Well hellsbells, that's not news...we've known for several thousand years now that eating fatty foods expands the waistline.

As The Groovy Mule sees it, it's not really about the sleep...that's just a cop out.  It's about eating things in amounts you shouldn't.  In other words...discipline or the lack thereof.  Aside from those who have genuine medical conditions that affect weight, obesity comes from diet, and searching for excuses is just pinning the "Pity Me" badge on at a different angle.

The Groovy Mule suggests you pull a plow for a few hours a day and see where the weight goes.  "Eat right and exercise" is the time-honored solution to flab.  If you're not into pulling plows, take a long walk or ride a bike and whatever you do...lay off the Ho-Hos.

#18 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:51 AM

Groovy Mule, your right, but what I think this study is talking about is that the brain is made up of sugar. It craves sugar. If it gets the big 8 hours it has been sugar deprived and goes into a type of hormone replacement therapy, Those two hormones noted above, I'm speaking of. It will also take the sugar from the blood stream so it doesn't turn to fat.

Those of us who run on split sleeping patterns or less than 8 hours sleep at a go, need more sugar/starches to keep our brains happy so we might over eat on the sweets, more than the snoozers.

Still, it's what you eat and how much. How much of your body is muscle, because muscle burns off more calories than bone and fat to maintain.

So while your waiting for that page to load you guys and gals on dial up, grab some weights or go isometric like I do. Man I have some tight glutts for someone who sits in front a machine for long hours.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#19 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:41 AM

There are many factors not mentioned.
For instance, at 5'8" I weighed in at 130 just this last summer, muscle, no fat.
Now I weigh... yeah, more than I should. Why? Well, I work graveyard and that means messed up sleeping patterns. This was fine last summer cuz I was working days on the farm and eating very little during the day. While at my night job I ate to keep awake. It worked great.

Now, I am not working on a farm, but still working graveyard. I can't sleep more than three hours at a time most of the time, that means I am dead tired at work.

After about a week, I generally crash for most of a day, waking up to do chores, feed my son, take him to school, but falling right to sleep the second I sit down.
Anyway, I still eat at night just to keep awake, the job is front desk at a smalltown motel. But I also eat in the daytime, which if I was working on the farm, I wouldn't be...

Confusing, I know. Basically, if I had a day job, too or simply worked days and not graveyard, I would still be trim. I'm not obese, at least my doc says I'm not, I feel like I am, but that must just be me, ~yeah right~, but I am very uncomfortable at this weight.

Stress will and has caused me to lose sleep and weight.

So yes, this study is lacking many factors, tho as an overall basis, it is correct.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Obesity, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users