Climate Change Science Weather

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

Clinton's integrity to his family is his family's business, just as George H. W.'s mistress was his and Mrs. Bush's, uhm, affair.  Whatever situation has Condi Rice referring to George II as her "husb--" is among her, Laura and the sad excuse for a man between them.  Something tells me, though, that Hillary was and is quite capable of dealing with Big Dawg on her own.

As for his integrity to the country--gee, those eight years of peace and prosperity sure do seem to go down hard for some folks!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Never fear, though.  Your Boy George is working on getting us into endless war and long-term economic stagnation.  

waterpanther

Edited by waterpanther, 29 December 2004 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:29 PM

Mr.Calgary said:

I'm sure everyone will laugh as hard when we include Clinton's integrity, to family and country. Yes?

Why does *everyone* assume that if one doesn't like Bush, one must've adored Clinton? Pffft. :rolleyes:

[Edit for clumsy grammar...]

Edited by Norville, 29 December 2004 - 01:31 PM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#43 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

waterpanther, on Dec 29 2004, 10:22 AM, said:

Clinton's integrity to his family is his family's business, just as George H. W.'s mistress was his and Mrs. Bush's, uhm, affair.  Whatever situation has Condi Rice referring to George II as her "husb--" is among her, Laura and the sad excuse for a man between them.  Something tells me, though, that Hillary was and is quite capable of dealing with Big Dawg on her own.

As for his integrity to the country--gee, those eight years of peace and prosperity sure do seem to go down hard for some folks!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Never fear, though.  Your Boy George is working on getting us into endless war and long-term economic stagnation. 

waterpanther

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more I read, the bigger fan I become waterpanther.  :D

Lil
Posted Image

#44 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:00 PM

Thankee, ma'am.  (bows)

waterpanther
Posted Image

#45 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:18 PM

Whatever happened to criticizing the policies and not the man? I didn't vote for him but I'm sick of the baseless slander waterpanther, it serves no purpose and as far as I have noticed has no evidence behind it.  hatemongering helps no one.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#46 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

tennyson, on Dec 29 2004, 12:18 PM, said:

Whatever happened to criticizing the policies and not the man? I didn't vote for him but I'm sick of the baseless slander waterpanther, it serves no purpose and as far as I have noticed has no evidence behind it.  hatemongering helps no one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my point as well, too subtle perhaps?     :eh:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#47 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:05 PM

I'm glad the two of you agree that Clinton has been baselessly--as well as basely-- slandered.  The hatemongering can stop any time you want to stop posting messages such as

I'm sure everyone will laugh as hard when we include Clinton's integrity, to family and country. Yes? hmmm.       

waterpanther
Posted Image

#48 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

I spent the better part of the 1990s thinking Clinton was an opportunistic, triangulating sleaze who combined political risk aversion with personal recklessness.  But compared to his successor he comes across as Jefferson, Lincoln and FDR rolled into one.  Funny how that happened...
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#49 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:14 PM

I've never posted a thing talking about Clinton the man that I'm aware of anywhere, only about the policies that were enacted during his term nor have I ever voiced an opinion so why am I being grouped in this waterpanther? Do we all not deserve to be judged upon our own merits and faults and not to be lumped into the merits and faults of others?  I meant the current George Bush that you are talking about since I am a democrat and voted for Clinton back in 1996, the first presidential election in which I could vote. I found your comment about Bush and an affair to be baseless slander of someone that has no place here.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

#50 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

Yes, tennyson, I know you meant Bush.  You're grouped with Mr. Calgary because silence gives consent, and you object to remarks critical of the Bushes' private lives while letting those concerning Clinton's slide.  

Now, specifically, which remark concerning which Bush do you find slanderous?

waterpanther
Posted Image

#51 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

If you want to discuss this then the reason I made no remarks in relation to Clinton was that his martial infidelity is a matter of court and public record, admitted to by the man himself, his wife and his mistress with no doubts or innuendo about it. Then you insinuated that the current Bush is having an extra martial affair with his national security advisor based on a slip of the tongue that could have come from a lot of different sources from an attempt at a joke to simply working with that person a lot. You have no evidence for this claim of martial infidelity that I can see and as far as I understand it this falls under the catagory of slander. and if you want to know why I don't bother with Ogami either on the subject of silence is because I've known him for so long across so many boards that I know talking to him about certain things is about as productive as repeatly slamming your head into a brick wall so" why bother" has become my attitude. Engagement doesn't always work.

#52 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

waterpanther, on Dec 29 2004, 04:05 PM, said:

The hatemongering can stop any time you want.....

waterpanther

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.

After some consideration, I'm going to set aside my usual preference not to place anyone on ignore.

I don't have the stomach for this member's hatefulness, especially coming during Christmas.
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#53 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

^

Hmm.

I see there are a few others I'm gonna put on my "Ignore" list myself.

:p  :sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#54 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:28 AM

Tennyson--

Here's what I actually said:

Whatever situation has Condi Rice referring to George II as her "husb--" is among her, Laura and the sad excuse for a man between them.

If I'd meant to say that this proves that Bush and Rice are having an affair, I'd have said, "This proves that Bush and Rice are having an affair."  Frankly, I hope they're not.  Dr. Rice is an intelligent, handsome woman who can certainly do better for herself than Boy George.  

That said, I think you're reaching when you try to find alternate explanations such as their working closely together.  I can't recall anyone of my acquaintance ever confusing "my boss" with "my husb--" or "my wi--," no matter how in synch they were on the job.  Nor do I think anyone in Dr. Rice's sensitive position would make a "joke" of this nature, the less so when apparently she and everyone else at the table was thoroughly embarassed by it.  

But that leaves us with the rather sad situation of Dr. Rice in love with her boss, whether it's requited or un-.  Like it or not, there's a triangle of a sort.  But my actual point, which both you and Mr. Calgary seem to have missed, is that whatever the case, it's none of our damned business.  

Let me repeat that:  a President's private life, of whatever party or political leaning, is none of our damned business.

Any more than Monica was any of our damned business.  

waterpanther
Posted Image

#55 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

Then why did you mention it?

#56 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:32 PM

To make my point:  which is that it's among the persons concerned and ought to remain so regardless of political affiliation.  

It also points up the different treatment Bush and Clinton get in the press.  The media were--and many still are--obsessed with Monica; there's hardly a whisper about Dr. Rice's truncated remark.  Imagine the feeding frenzy if one of Clinton's cabinet members had made a similar slip.

waterpanther

Edited by waterpanther, 30 December 2004 - 05:32 PM.

Posted Image

#57 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:22 PM

Then I guess this whole conversation has served as a learning experience and was a good thing after all. Now to discover a way to achieve this level of englightenment with less postings.

#58 Laconiq

Laconiq
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:55 AM

As posted by Ogami:

At the same time, it could deflect the Gulf Stream, which could bring Little Ice Age conditions to Northern Europe.

Just because you get your environmental information from Fox blockbuster movies doesn't mean we all should. You're going to trust something Fox put out? Heh.
http://dieoff.org/page82.htm

As the North Atlantic warmed, Arctic snowmelts and increased rainfall diluted the salt content of the ocean, which, in turn, redirected the ocean's warming current from a northeasterly direction to one that ran nearly due east. Should such an episode occur today, say researchers, "the present climate of Britain and Norway would change suddenly to that of Greenland."
Btw, that Fox blockbuster you mentioned...had a scene in it about tornados in Hollywood if I recall.
Hollywood...that's not far from Inglewood, is it...?
http://www.jamaicaob...tml/20041230...

A tornado struck the Los Angeles suburbs of Inglewood and Ladera Heights on Wednesday, snapping trees and damaging cars, but causing no injuries. Power outages hit more than 140,000 customers across five counties and portions of several highways were closed because of flooding, mud or snow.

#59 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:16 AM

According to the review of The Day After Tomorrow at this website, http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/
" The near destruction of LA by numerous giant tornados is possibly the second best special effect and is about as scientifically sound as the Statue of Liberty scene. According to NOAA data, there has never been a tornado in California rated higher than an F1 on an F1 to F5 scal. Furthermore, there has never been a single recorded tornado-caused fatality. Obviously, California does not have the terrain required for producing large violent tornados. The tornado scene would have been bizarre even in   Kansas but in LA it's positively, um ... overblown."
There are links to the sources of this information in the review itself.

#60 Laconiq

Laconiq
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:31 AM

As posted by tennyson:

According to NOAA data, there has never been a tornado in California rated higher than an F1 on an F1 to F5 scal. Furthermore, there has never been a single recorded tornado-caused fatality.
Well....there's also never been a 9.0 Richter earthquake in SE Asia with massive tsunamis causing so far 125,000 deaths, 500,000 injured, and 5,000 000 in need of aid until now.....so I wouldn't discount the possiblity too lightly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Climate Change, Science, Weather

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users