Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tsunami Kills Over 295,000

Natural Disasters Tsunami Indonesia Sri Lanka

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:15 PM

Asian Quakes' Tsunami Kill More Than 7,200

JAKARTA, Indonesia - The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years triggered massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across southern and southeast Asia on Sunday, killing more than 7,200 people in six countries.

Tourists, fishermen, homes and cars were swept away by walls of water up to 20 feet high that rolled across the Bay of Bengal, unleashed by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake centered off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

In Sri Lanka, 1,000 miles west of the epicenter, more than 3,000 people were killed, the country's top police official said. At least 1,870 died in Indonesia, and more than 2,000 along the southern coasts of India. At least 289 were confirmed dead in Thailand, 42 in Malaysia and 2 in Bangladesh.

But officials expected the death toll to continue to rise, with hundreds reported missing and all communications cut off to Sumatran towns closest to the epicenter. Hundreds of bodies were found on various beaches along India's southern state of Tamil Nadu, and more were expected to be washed in by the sea, officials said.

The rush of waves brought sudden disaster to people carrying out their daily activities on the ocean's edge: Sunbathers on the beaches of the Thai resort of Phuket were washed away; a group of 32 Indians including 15 children were killed while taking a ritual Hindu bath to mark the full moon day; fishing boats, with their owners clinging to their sides, were picked up by the waves and tossed away.

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

:Oo:

(edited 2-9-05 to change the death toll figure)

Edited by Digital Man, 09 February 2005 - 10:18 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:31 PM

oh my word!!!!!! how horrific.

wonder what consequences this has for the future if the earth's rotation was disturbed?

#3 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

Eek. That's not good.

Thanks for sharing this, Digital man.

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:38 PM

This is a stark reminder that while some of us might be having a Merry Christmas/ enjoyable vacation time, others aren't. :(

Let's keep these people in our thoughts.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

I've been following this story for hours now- the death toll is now approaching 10,000 with the numbers expected to rise. This is really bad.  And what they aren't saying - and unless you look at a map you don't realize - is that these numbers don't include info from Myanmar (Burma). Burma is currently Communist and I doubt we'll hear much info from them.

Quake map

JAKARTA, Indonesia - The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years struck deep under the Indian Ocean off the west coast of Sumatra on Sunday, triggering tidal waves up to 20 feet high that obliterated villages and seaside resorts in six countries across southern Asia. Nearly 10,000 people were killed in the devastation, and the death toll was expected to rise.

Tourists, fishermen, homes and cars were swept away by walls of water that rolled across the Bay of Bengal, unleashed by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake. The tsunami waves barreled nearly 3,000 miles across the ocean to Africa, where at least nine people were killed in Somalia, witnesses said.

At least 4,185 killed in Indonesia, the country's health ministry said.

In Sri Lanka, 1,000 miles west of the epicenter, more than 3,000 people were killed, the country's top police official said; that number, however, does not include the 1,500 deaths reported by rebels who control part of the country.

Elsewhere, about 2,300 were reported dead along the southern coasts of India, at least 289 in Thailand, 42 in Malaysia and two in Bangladesh.

New update as of 5 minutes ago- more than 11,300 have died.

http://story.news.ya...&u=/nm/quake_dc

Edited by Shoshana, 26 December 2004 - 02:15 PM.

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:43 PM

^

:eek3: :egads:  :argh:

Ack.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Posted Image

#7 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:44 PM

My heart goes out to all the people and their families that have been touched by this tragedy...
After spending such close quarters with family members who have petty issues whirling among them during Christmas no less, one is always reminded just how pointless such squabbling really is...

------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:52 PM

cylkoth, on Dec 26 2004, 02:44 PM, said:

My heart goes out to all the people and their families that have been touched by this tragedy...
After spending such close quarters with family members who have petty issues whirling among them during Christmas no less, one is always reminded just how pointless such squabbling really is...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, some people are aware of what's important and what's happening to folks across the globe. Others don't care because tragedies like this too far away, and it doesn't affect "them".

:smirk:
Posted Image

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:18 PM

8.9!! :crazy: :fear: When I heard that, I knew it had to be the most powerful quake in years. That's just horrific...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:22 PM

Undersea earthquakes are the scaries things around, just because of those tsumani..............

Deepest sympathies..
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#11 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:01 PM

6,000 dead a few hours ago... 7,000 when this was posted, BBC now reporting over 10,000. How horrible. And the Doctor who teaches me history is travelling in India...
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:03 PM

I haven't the words. May they rest in peace

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

Reuters is reporting the death toll upward of 11,000 now, and it's going to get worse.  Some of the "aftershocks" are in the major-quake range themselves (7+).
Even Somalia has been affected.

Gods rest those poor folk.

waterpanther
Posted Image

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

The Pacific Ring of Fire is a real bitch, isn't it?

:glare:
Posted Image

#15 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:19 PM

You've got that right, DM.  This may be as bad as Krakatau before it's done, even though the tsunamis weren't as high.

waterpanther
Posted Image

#16 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

waterpanther, on Dec 26 2004, 04:19 PM, said:

You've got that right, DM.  This may be as bad as Krakatau before it's done, even though the tsunamis weren't as high.

waterpanther

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I remember correctly, Krakatau was comprised of 3 volcanic islands. In 1883, two of them literally blew up-and the explosions combined with the tsunami killed 36,000 people. :( Sunsets were blood-red for almost a year.

:Oo:
Posted Image

#17 tvbuff

tvbuff
  • Islander
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

Oh my God.

My heart goes out to the people of Southeast Asia and surrounding regions.

DM, have you heard whether this was felt in New Zealand?  And what kind of impact might this have if earth's rotation was disturbed, as I read above?  

Geez...this is scary..not only for the tragedy that has effected tens of thousands of men, women and children but for its implications on the environment.

#18 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:39 PM

Many thousands  missing, some areas not heard from/reporting at all.  

waterpanther
Posted Image

#19 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

Just the images shown on ABC national news this evening were almost too much to bear... a few images were not explained....a mother hysterically sobbing with a child in her arms and a row of children with a blanket over them but their faces were showing....wasn't said but strongly implied to me at least that they had not survived.

Makes me hold my children that much tighter tonight :(

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#20 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

It's now being reported as a 9.0 earthquake. With 12,000+ deaths.

http://earthquake.us...ws/2004/usslav/

tvbuff - NZ was more likely to have felt the quake that was closer a couple of days ago - Magnitude 8.1 - NORTH OF MACQUARIE ISLAND 2004 December 23

http://earthquake.us...ws/2004/ussjal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Indonesia, Sri Lanka

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users