• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#141 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

I"m going to be afraid to see what the numbers are tomorrow morning. They have increased so much every day...  :( :( :(
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#142 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

Two Observations on the Situation and US aid Response that I have picked up:

1) Most of the roads in the area are dirt roads and even surfaced roads run along the coastlines in these countries.  That means most of your aid supplies needs to be transported by cargo planes and helicopters.  Typically with such a huge and fairly unevaluated area of disaster creates a bottleneck at airports.  The first wave of supplies is usually backed up in ports and airports and thus wasted.  So really just throwing money and aid at the situation from the start won’t do jack if you can’t get it to the people.  You need to build a base and infrastructure to move aid.        

2) In case no one has noticed the US Military has tasked the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group to relief efforts along with an ARG with a hospital ship to top off the resources.  Anyone care to call a entire CVBG plus a LPD a small contribution?  The helicopters will be invaluable to relief efforts and those ships are massive floating logistic bases that are virtually immune to any thing that can harm a base ashore.  In addition the LCACs and other amphibious assault platforms that are tasked to the ARG can carry more relief supplies than any helicopter and a lot more than most militaries in the region.  

U.S. Military Support to Tsunami Relief Efforts
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#143 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:00 PM

Good point, CJ AEGIS. That may save many lives.

I sure hope so. :(
Per aspera ad astra

#144 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

Yahoo and a local radio station report the death toll at 120,000.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#145 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:06 AM

According to radio 4 yesterday, they have had the first reports of cases of dysiterie (can't spell today) in the refugee camps.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#146 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:03 PM

I'm listening to the BBC on shortwave right now-and the anchorman says that death toll is approaching 150,000.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#147 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

Shoshana, on Dec 29 2004, 06:15 PM, said:

The Lituya Bay wave is generally described as the largest tsunami ever recorded in modern times, and has been given the special name of mega-tsunami. It was caused by a massive landslide, triggered by an earthquake of magnitude 8.3. When the wave rushed across the bay it ran up the valley walls to a height of 576 m at its maximum, (1720 ft) and over 100 m for the rest of the bay area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, thanks, 'shana.  I think I've actually heard about that one, but only briefly, during one of my geology classes.  I'd forgotten about it entirely, but I remember it was astonishingly high because of where it was.  :Oo:

I think the reason the previous high death toll from a tsunami didn't sound right was because I was actually thinking of *earthquakes*, not tsunami.  The most deadly ones this past century have been in Asia; one in China in the '70s, which killed about 250,000, and I think the other really deadly one was also in China in 1920 or so, and killed 200,000 or so. :(

WRT the population of Indonesia; I was curious about it myself, so I looked up my rather old desk atlas, and apparently back in 1990 or so it had a population of 185,000,000, and a growth rate of around 1.8%.  Of course, spread across that many islands..... :wacko:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#148 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

***I'm listening to the BBC on shortwave right now-and the anchorman says that death toll is approaching 150,000***

It will get MUCH worse.

http://www.msnbc.msn...667405/#041230a

The State News Agency in Malaysia, Bernama, quotes Indonesia's ambassador to Malaysia as saying today that three large communities in the Acheh province appear to have been totally destroyed— but are, as yet, inaccessible. "Aerial surveillance found the town of Meulaboh completely destroyed with only one building standing," said Ambassador Drs H. Rusdihardjo.

Until Sunday morning, Meulaboh had 150,000 residents.

The Ambassador also says there were "no signs of life" in Pulau Simeuleu. It had a population of 76,000. Access to these areas— if only to see if anybody is still alive there— has been cut off due to the destruction of roads, and rapidly depleting fuel supplies. Aerial views of the area show not just devastation, but obliteration. Some communities are recognizable only because a few building foundations remain intact, like the chalk lines around a dead body. Others look like images from the 1889 flood in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, or the 1900 hurricane that destroyed much of Galveston, Texas.

Ambassador Rusdihardjo concluding that the death toll in Acheh Province, could exceed 400,000.

There are no words.....

sp

Edited by schoolpsycho, 31 December 2004 - 08:54 PM.

Love is hard...and all there is.

#149 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Heya sp.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. At this point, 3/4 of a million deaths from this disaster wouldn't surprise me.

:(
Posted Image

#150 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:03 PM

Hey, Saul.

Neither am I...

Looking at the before and after pictures, it's unreal.  Every part of Acheh Province got hit, and from the air, it looked like there was nothing left.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#151 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:03 PM

Me either, DM, as I began to figure out how many people were living on the islands closest to the epicenter.  Geography and population of that whole region is pretty much neglected in US schools, along with most political concerns (at least in my schools, but that's a whole different topic/rant).
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#152 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

400,000? In Indonesia alone? That's... I have no words...

I still haven't heard anything about the two islands they were worried about in Indonesia - I linked to the article upstream I think - one had 170,000 and one had 500,000 people. And there's been no word fron either...

Re pop of Indonesia - I found this link ... population broken down by province

Population of Indonesia by Province

From the BBC

US pledges $350m in tsunami aid

World's worst disasters
2004: Asian quake disaster - more than 124,000 dead
2003: Earthquake in Bam, Iran, officially kills 26,271
1976: Earthquake in Tangshan, China, kills 242,000
1970: Cyclone in Bangladesh kills 500,000
1923: Tokyo earthquake kills 140,000
1887: China's Yellow River breaks its banks in Huayan Kou killing 900,000
1826: Tsunami kills 27,000 in Japan
1815: Volcanic eruption of Mount Tambora on Indonesia's Sumbawa Island kills 90,000
1556: Earthquake in China's Shanxi and Henan provinces kills 830,000

'shana

#153 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:57 PM

:down:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#154 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:26 PM

Yes  :down:
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#155 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:33 PM

I've been seeing some interesting stories of how different people survived and thought y'all might be interested:

Elephants sensed waves coming

Khao Lak _ Agitated elephants felt the tsunami coming, and their sensitivity saved about a dozen foreign tourists from the fate of thousands killed by the giant waves.

``I was surprised because the elephants had never cried before,'' mahout Dang Salangam said yesterday on Khao Lak beach at the eight-elephant business offering rides to tourists.

The elephants started trumpeting _ in a way which Dang, 36, and his wife Kulada, 24, said could only be described as crying _ at first light, about the time a massive earthquake cracked open the sea bed off Indonesia's Sumatra island.

The elephants soon calmed, but began wailing again an hour later, and this time they could not be comforted.

``They just kept running for the hill,'' said Wit Aniwat, 24, who helps tourists mount the elephants.

Those with tourists aboard headed for the jungle-clad hill behind the resort beach where at least 3,800 people, more than half of them foreigners, would soon die. ``Then we saw the big wave coming and we started running,'' Mr Wit said.

Around a dozen tourists also ran toward the hill from a nearby resort. ``The mahouts managed to turn the elephants to lift the tourists onto their backs,'' Mrs Kulada said.

She used her hands to describe how the huge beasts used their trunks to pluck foreigners from the ground and deposit them on their backs.

The elephants charged up the hill through the jungle.

Buffalo, also sensing the approaching danger, led an entire village in Ranong's tambon Muang Kluang to the safety of higher ground, a villager said.

Kornee Art-harn, 42, said about 100 buffalo were grazing near the beach at Bang Koey village when the entire herd suddenly lifted their heads and looked out to sea, ears standing upright. They turned and stampeded up the hill.

Bewildered villagers ran after the buffaloes fearing the beasts would be lost.

Mr Kornee said within minutes of the villagers making their way to the hilltop, the huge tidal waves slammed into the fishing community.

``Not a single one of us sustained a scratch,'' he said.REUTERS

I'm thinking all these animals heard the earthquake and the tsunami ....

'shana

Edited by Shoshana, 02 January 2005 - 02:50 PM.

#156 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:36 PM

Swedish mother defies the odds

SHE ran fearlessly into the tsunami in a desperate bid to save her three sons - and miraculously survived.

For a week the world thought Karin Svaerd and her children were dead, among more than 127,600 victims of the Asian tidal wave disaster.

The images of a panic-stricken Mrs Svaerd were published around the world, including The Daily Telegraph on Friday, showing the panic-stricken mother running into the surf as tourists around her fled in fear of their lives.

"I had to try and save my children, nothing was going to stop me," Mrs Svaerd, 37, said yesterday.

In a remarkable story of survival, the Swedish policewoman yesterday told of the worst hour of her life - and how her entire family somehow made it through the waves of destruction unscathed.

With the final death toll still unknown, amazing stories of survival are emerging in the wake of the 10m waves that devastated South-East Asia.

Mrs Svaerd was at Thailand's Hat Rai Lay beach, near Krabi, with her husband and their sons Anton, 14, Filip, 11 and Viktor, 10, who could not see the first wave as it thundered ashore.

"I was yelling at them to run, run but they couldn't hear me," Mrs Svaerd said.

When they did not hear her, she started running towards them, screaming: "Oh my God, not my children."

Mrs Svaerd was barely 20m from the boys when the family was engulfed by the tsunami and separated.

She clung to a palm tree after the wave swept her to land but lost her grip and was washed to higher ground alone.

"I could see a white wall of water coming towards the beach from the horizon getting bigger and bigger," she said. "People were starting to shout and scream, 'Get off the beach, get off the beach'.

"I started to shout, 'Run in, run in' at my boys. They'd been snorkelling and playing in the surf.

"But because of the noise on the beach and because they were 200m away they couldn't hear me.

"They didn't know the wave was coming towards them, so I started running into the sea.

"I could hear people shouting at me, 'Get off the beach', as I ran past them but I ignored them.

"Terror was coming up inside me. I could feel it.

"But I was so focused I just started running to my family. My husband Lars started running towards them too. I was shouting to Lars, 'Take the children away'.

"I could see the fear in the boys' faces. They started to move to the beach but the ground was heavy and they were not doing so well.

"I was running towards them. I could see this white wall coming to me and it was coming faster.

"I did not care. I was looking at my children. I wanted to hold them and care for them. I can remember the white foam, how the surf took them up and they disappeared.

"Maybe a second or two later the wave hit me and took me up. I thought I was going to die.

"The strength of the wave was so strong, there was no way I could hold on."

When she washed up on higher ground she was confronted by parents facing the same fears as hers - looking for their lost families.

"I thought my family were dead," Mrs Svaerd said.

"My life was over as far as I could see it. My children were taken away from me.

"It was 10 minutes - the worst 10 minutes in my life - before I found my family together on the higher ground away from the water.

"The boys were with Lars and [their uncle] Per.

"They were all holding each other looking very frightened and confused.

"I rushed to them and yelled, 'Thank God you are alive'. We hugged each other. All around us people were shouting for their families and I could feel their fear."

The family returned to Sweden on Thursday.

#157 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

British girl saved hundreds from tsunami

A 10-year-old British schoolgirl saved the lives of hundreds of people in South-East Asia by warning them a wall of water was about to strike, after learning about tsunamis in geography class, British media reported.

Tilly, who has been renamed the "angel of the beach" by the top-selling tabloid The Sun, was holidaying with her family on the Thai island of Phuket when she suddenly grasped what was taking place and alerted her mother.

"Last term [geography teacher Andrew] Kearney taught us about earthquakes and how they can cause tsunamis," Tilly was quoted by The Sun as saying.

"I was on the beach and the water started to go funny. There were bubbles and the tide went out all of a sudden.

"I recognised what was happening and had a feeling there was going to be a tsunami. I told mummy."

Her intuition was enough to raise the alert and prompt the evacuation of Phuket's Maikhao beach and a neighbouring hotel before the water came crashing in, saving hundreds of people from death and injury.

According to The Sun, no one on Maikhao beach was seriously hurt by the tsunamis.

Mr Kearney told the paper he had explained to his class that there was about 10 minutes from the moment the ocean draws out until the tsunami strikes.

#158 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:45 PM

Elders' Sea Knowledge Spares Some Thais

BANGKOK, Thailand - Knowledge of the ocean and its currents passed down from generation to generation of a group of Thai fishermen known as the Morgan sea gypsies saved an entire village from the Asian tsunami, a newspaper said Saturday.

By the time killer waves crashed over southern Thailand last Sunday the entire 181 population of their fishing village had fled to a temple in the mountains of South Surin Island, English language Thai daily The Nation reported.

"The elders told us that if the water recedes fast it will reappear in the same quantity in which it disappeared," 65-year-old village chief Sarmao Kathalay told the paper.

So while in some places along the southern coast, Thais headed to the beach when the sea drained out of beaches — the first sign of the impending tsunami — to pick up fish left flapping on the sand, the gypsies headed for the hills.

Few people in Thailand have a closer relationship with the sea than the Morgan sea gypsies, who spend each monsoon season on their boats plying the waters of the Andaman Sea from India to Indonesia and back to Thailand.

Between April and December, they live in shelters on the shore surviving by catching shrimp and spear fishing. At boat launching festivals each May, they ask the sea for forgiveness.

#159 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

Last one-

Briton Surfs Tsunami, Survives

HIKKADUWA, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - British surfer Martin Markwell had always dreamed of catching that perfect wave -- but when it finally came along, it was a nightmare.

Markwell was paddling on his surfboard Sunday off the popular Hikkaduwa beach resort on Sri Lanka's palm-fringed southern coast when he was swept up by a tsunami wave and sent crashing over a white sand beach and into a hotel restaurant.

"It was really terrible because I was surfing, I was really surfing on a wave I wasn't supposed to be on," he told Reuters.

"As an experienced surfer, when I saw the wave come I realized something was wrong, but I couldn't escape because my surfboard was tied to my ankle."

His wife Vicki and son Jake looked on in horror from a hotel balcony as he crashed toward the shore. Miraculously, he stayed atop his board until he reached the hotel, jumped off and waded to safety as the ocean rolled back to feed a much larger tsunami wave on its way.

The family regrouped and ran inland into jungle to safety just minutes before a giant tsunami wave 30 feet high crashed into Sri Lanka's coast, killing more than 28,500 people.

#160 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:57 PM

Amazing stories

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Indonesia, Sri Lanka

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users