185 replies to this topic

#161 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:29 PM

Wikipedia List modified for readability

Here's a link to a page listing current donations world wide.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#162 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:34 PM

Awesome link Shal. it's a tad incomplete, but it's very cool

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#163 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting those stories, 'shana. They show a bit of hope. :cry:

#164 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

One more hopeful story that demonstrates that, when it comes to understanding the power of nature, animals have it all over us humans:

http://news.yahoo.co...y_s_best_friend

When the boy didn't follow, Sangeeta was crushed by grief, believing she would never see him again. The family dog made sure she did.

Dinakaran had not followed her but ran instead to the safest place he knew the family's small, concrete-walled hut just 40 yards from shore.

While water lapped at Sangeeta's heels as she rushed up the hill, the scruffy yellow dog named Selvakumar ducked into the hut after the boy.

Nipping and nudging, he did everything in his canine power to get the boy up the hill.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#165 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

for the record the british people have raised 60 million.....about a pound a person. that's amazing.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#166 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

^

Cardie,

Have you been reading my mind?! ;)

I started a thread on that wonderful dog.

:D
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#167 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:05 PM

Pickles, on Dec 29 2004, 10:27 AM, said:

[Edited by Nick to fix the Wikipedia link--Hope ya don't mind, Pickles. ;)]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tanx. Don't mind in the least. :)

shambalayogi, on Dec 29 2004, 11:46 AM, said:

and, Pickles, wikipedia does a good job of covering this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I like wikipedia for much of my research. :)

Awesome stories y'all have posted. They give hope. Not sure if these two pics have been posted or not ... just in case:

before and after satellite photos of Indonesia tidal wave

http://crisp.nus.edu...om_in_old_d.jpg
http://crisp.nus.edu...om_in_new_d.jpg

#168 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has asked for an inquiry to be set up to establish why Thailand didn't receive a warning about the Tsunami. Thailand has a lot of questions to answer.

An Indonesian fisherman has been found under his boat, severely dehydrated but alive.

The world's only remaining Stone Age people, the Sentinelese are safe according to a helicopter pilot who overflew their island.

The markets have opened in Banda Aceh today for the first time, selling fresh fruit and the local newspaper which lost dozens of reporters has produced its first issue since last Sunday.

Tropical storms in the Indian Ocean area are hampering aid operations and making sanitation conditions worse due to severe flooding in some areas, but at the same time in other areas are providing clean water.

The carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln has arrived off Aceh and is helping enormously with aid operations. There is only one useable airfield in Aceh because of the destruction caused by the Tsunami and that can only take one aircraft at a time, which has been causing a massive bottleneck.

Six P3C Orions from VP8 and elements of VP4 are carrying out survey operations over South-East Asia.

Twelve ships from the US Navy's Military Sealift command are sailing for the Indian Ocean, six from Maritime Prepositioning Ships Squadron 3 - five of those ships can produce 25,000 gallons of clean water a day and pump it to shore, two Oceanographic survey ships, two oilers and two combat support ships.

The UK's Type 22 frigate HMS Chatham along with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Diligence (the Navy's foward repair ship) are due to arrive on Tuesday off Aceh.

The UK government has agreed to pay all transport costs of all of the aid being sent from the UK.

An RAF C17 left Denmark last night ferrying supplies from Scandanavian countries. The RAF are likely to be despatching C130 transports to the area in the coming few days. British troops may follow but that will depend upon the
report made by the 10-man reconnaisance team that have now arrived.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#169 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:20 AM

Here's something interesting- Tsunami_Space images

I read ... somewhere... that there were officials in India that knew about the tsunami but weren't able to get the word out because of red tape. It also seems that there is a cyclone warning system in place with the coast covered in emergency receivers.

And what I have read about Thailand was that there were some that knew, but gossip is that they didn't want to upset the tourists with a false alarm.

Bad Equipment Hurt Tsunami Warning Efforts

By MIKE CORDER, Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand - Faulty equipment, poor communications and cumbersome bureaucracy are being blamed for the failure of nations around the Indian Ocean's rim to warn communities about to be hit by one of the world's most devastating natural disasters.

A sensor system in Indonesia that could have warned of Sunday's huge waves was not working because it had been hit by lightning. In India, bureaucrats faxed a warning of possible disaster to the wrong official. A Thai meteorologist acting on a hunch sent an alert to radio stations, but it doesn't appear the warning was widely relayed.

Even if the Indian Ocean had an international tsunami alert system, like one in the Pacific, the warning likely would have come too late for the people of Sumatra, the Indonesian island closest to the epicenter of the magnitude 9 earthquake that set off the killer waves.

Indonesian officials said they do have a bare-bones sensor system to gauge the possibility of a tsunami hitting the nation's main island of Java but it was knocked out by a lighting strike two weeks before the disaster.

Yet, even if had been working, Indonesian officials acknowledge they have no way to alert villages.

"Even if we did know about the tsunami, how can we (disseminate) information," said Prih Harjadi of the Indonesian Meteorological & Ge

ophysical Agency.

Media reports of the tsunami also didn't prompt any alerts from the agency, he added. "We didn't call anyone because we didn't know who to call."

Most residents and foreign tourists in southern Thailand's resort region were caught unaware.

"There was no warning from the meteorological department or any other agencies," said Phuket Gov. Udomsak Asawarangkul.

An alert of some kind got through to some places at a few beaches officials yelled through bull horns telling tourists to get off the beaches. Most people got no warning.

"The (first) warning was that the ocean went out and people were walking down the beach wondering why there were fish flapping on the sand," said Steve Hall, an Australian who moved to Thailand a decade ago. "By the time they realized, it was too late."

Kathawudhi Marlairojanasiri, a meteorological department weather forecast chief on duty Sunday, said the office did send warnings to radio and television stations an hour before the first waves hit on a hunch the quake off Sumatra might trigger tsunami waves.

Thai authorities apparently didn't relay it, in fear of scaring tourists with a possible false alarm.

"Five years ago, the meteorological department issued a warning of possible tidal wave after an earthquake happened in Papua New Guinea but the tourism authority complained that such a warning, if it turned out to be false, would hurt tourism," said Sulamee Prachuab, director of Meteorological Department's Seismological Bureau.

"There was a 7.6-magnitude earthquake occurred in the same location in Sumatra five years ago but there was no tsunami," she added.

The first word Indians got of the tsunami was on the news after the water roared ashore, even though waves swamped India's Andaman and Nicobar islands north of Sumatra an hour before they reached the southern coast of the Indian mainland.

Officials in southern India who had gotten a report from a military base on a Nicobar island mistakenly faxed the news to the home of the government's former science and technology minister, rather than his successor.

"It looks like they forgot to update their records," said Ashok Kavdia, an aide of the former minister, who was away from home Sunday.

Sri Lanka's president said Thursday that the leaders of a seven-member group of South Asian countries plan to discuss installing a disaster early warning system at a summit Jan. 9. The 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations will discuss the idea next week.

Even a high-tech warning system might not help India, a political analyst said.

"In such disasters, we require rapid and specific responses. The Indian bureaucracy by its training and conditioning can't do it," said Balbir Arora, a New Delhi-based professor of public administration.

I guess it's cause I watch the History and Weather channels - but if I were at the beach and saw the water go out like that, you bet I'd be screeching my head off.  And running for higher ground (and I'd be one of the idiots taking pics too I'm afraid! But not till I was on higher ground)

#170 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

West Midland scuba diving club safe and sound.  I just saw a great picture of one of my co-workers hugging her best friend at the airport on the news.

Absolutely wonderful news :)
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#171 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

^That's great!

I saw two more rescue stories this morning. woman was picked up by a boat after floating for days hanging onto a uprooted palm tree and a group of sailors were rescued after their boat was disabled.

Some good news:

Found: Sri Lankan village of 4000 survivors

A UN refugee agency representative has found about 4000 people in an eastern Sri Lankan village who've been cut off from outside help since a tsunami battered the area eight days ago.

The villagers have been without shelter or access to clean drinking water or regular food supplies, the officials said on Monday.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees representative reached the village on Monday, and was the first outsider since the tsunami washed away the bridge, the agency said.

He arranged for survival equipment to be delivered on Tuesday, it said.

And here's something interesting- sraeli Company Offers Free Tsunami Alert System

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli company said on Monday it planned to distribute free to Asian countries hit by last week's tsunami a device it says could save lives by warning holiday-makers directly that a tidal wave is coming.

The system developed by Israeli inventor Meir Gitelis uses land and water sensors, smaller than a shoe box and each costing $170, to measure seismic activity and wave motion.

Like other systems already in operation, the sensors can send alerts in seconds by satellite to governments anywhere in the world. Unlike others, this system can also relay warnings directly to private subscribers over cellphones, pagers or dedicated receivers, spreading the message more widely.

Seaside hotels could install a satellite receiver to pick up warnings broadcast over the system seconds after an earthquake that could cause giant waves. Local cellphone or pager networks could do the same and send SMS messages to their subscribers.

"The sensors determine the tremor's intensity as well as the height and speed of the waves above it," said Gitelis, of Avtipus Patents and Inventions Ltd., which specializes in sensors and communications devices.

"The system can then analyze all the data and predict if and when a tsunami will come, where it will hit and how big its impact will be," he told Reuters.

"We're not doing this to make money," Gitelis said. "He want to help people. We plan to give our product to poor countries for free and we will not charge the countries that were affected by the disaster in Asia."

At least 145,000 people were killed in Asia by the massive Dec. 26 earthquake and the tsunamis that followed.

U.S. officials who detected the quake said they tried frantically to warn that the wall of water was coming, but there was no official alert system in the Indian Ocean because such catastrophes happen so rarely.

Tsunami warning stations exist around the Pacific Ocean.

Gitelis said his system could be particularly effective in holiday resorts like those devastated by the Indian Ocean tsunami, which took an estimated 75 minutes to reach Thailand and much longer to hit Sri Lanka and parts of India.

But in areas with poor communications it could still be hard to warn people of the approaching danger.

#172 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

According to NPR, the death toll is now around 140,000.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#173 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

Well I think we have seen that the planet does not care one wit about us as enities. The earthquake and tidal wave would have happened without us being there.  It is an example of how powerful and dangerous nature truely is.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#174 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:55 PM

I heard on NPR that one reason a lot of people were on the shore in Sri Lanka was because they heard a suspicious sound that made them wonder if the Sri Lanka navy was going on another operation against the Tamil Tiger separatists, and they wanted to check what was happening. Well, no, it turned out to be a tsunami, but they didn't know that... :eek:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#175 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Digital Man, on Jan 5 2005, 05:02 PM, said:

According to NPR, the death toll is now around 140,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, someone's still reporting it.  Most of the news services I run across regularly (which is, admittedly, not very many), have all gone over to recovery effort stories and survival stories, except for reporting the number of American dead and missing.  :wacko:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#176 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

The death toll according to this Yahoo article is now around 160,000.

Posted Image

#177 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

Got to say Stalin in some ways is truely correct."One death is tragic a thousand a number."

Then again I am looking towards sending money locally to help the flood victims in north east Indiana. We had a warm up and the foot of snow was joined by at least nearly a foot of rain.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#178 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

In case no one's posted this yet:

http://homepage.mac..../tsunami/8.html

#179 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

Latest info

Global Tsunami Death Toll Tops 226,000

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Reuters) - The global death toll from the Asian tsunami shot above 226,000 Wednesday after Indonesia's Health Ministry confirmed the deaths of tens of thousands of people previously listed as missing.

The ministry raised the country's death toll to 166,320. It had previously given a figure of 95,450 while Indonesia's Ministry of Social Affairs had put the death toll at around 115,000 before it stopped counting.

Dodi Indrasanto, a director at the health ministry's department of health affairs, said the new death total reflected the latest reports from the provinces of Aceh and North Sumatra, which were directly in the path of the killer tsunami spawned by a magnitude 9 earthquake the day after Christmas.

The new figure lifted the total global death toll from the tsunami disaster to 226,566, although the number continues to rise as more deaths are reported around the region.

<snip>

Governments, aid groups, individuals, corporations and international agencies have pledged more than $7 billion in aid to Asia's tsunami victims.

But donors have to date promised just $739 million of the $977 million the U.N. system says is needed in emergency aid to meet the basic needs of victims over the next six months, according to Kevin Kennedy, a senior official of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

'shana

#180 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has asked for an inquiry to be set up to establish why Thailand didn't receive a warning about the Tsunami. Thailand has a lot of questions to answer.

I can save him some money. The countries in the affected area have never gotten together to put a system in place to warn of Tsunami's, mainly because they are so rare outside of the Pacific.

There were people monitoring from the moment the quake happened, but they had no way to warn anyone, try as they might. They didn't know for sure there would be a Tsunami untill it hit the first place. I think they said they were able to reach someone in Africa, but it still didn't do much good.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Indonesia, Sri Lanka

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users