• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:03 PM

Kosh, on Jan 19 2005, 04:00 PM, said:

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has asked for an inquiry to be set up to establish why Thailand didn't receive a warning about the Tsunami. Thailand has a lot of questions to answer.

I can save him some money. The countries in the affected area have never gotten together to put a system in place to warn of Tsunami's, mainly because they are so rare outside of the Pacific.

There were people monitoring from the moment the quake happened, but they had no way to warn anyone, try as they might. They didn't know for sure there would be a Tsunami untill it hit the first place. I think they said they were able to reach someone in Africa, but it still didn't do much good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was also a meteorologist in Thailand that tried to get the word out that there was a strong possibility but no one wanted to upset or scare the tourists....

#182 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

^

Yeah, I saw the new death toll figure. :(

Time to update the figure again.... ***sigh***

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#183 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:25 PM

Another update...

Death toll in tsunami disaster tops 295,000

The number of people believed killed in December's tsunami disaster topped 295,000 today, six weeks after the catastrophe, as Indonesia again increased its number of dead.

Indonesia was hardest-hit by the December 26 quake and tsunamis, with a total of 242,347 people listed as dead or missing, the health ministry said in its latest figures.

The ministry said the number of people confirmed dead had risen to 114,573 while the number of people missing and almost certainly dead remained at 127,774.

Thailand's toll remained at 5393 confirmed dead. A further 3071 people were listed as missing, more than 1,000 of them foreigners.

The toll in Sri Lanka, which was second hardest hit by the catastrophe, stood at 30,957, according to the Centre for National Operations.

The number of people listed as missing was 5637, but many were expected to be among those never formally identified, hurriedly buried and included in the confirmed death toll.

In neighbouring India, the official death toll was 10,749 with 5640 still reported missing and feared dead.

The government was soon expected to draw up final casualty figures in which the missing were declared dead.

Myanmar has said 61 people were killed in the tsunamis.

At least 82 people were killed and another 26 were missing in the Maldives.

Sixty-eight people were dead in Malaysia, most of them in Penang, according to police, while Bangladesh reported two deaths.

On the east coast of Africa, 298 people were declared dead in Somalia, 10 in Tanzania and one in Kenya. Relief workers have said they believe the figure for Somali fatalities to be exaggerated.

#184 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

^

One report I heard today said 300,000 dead. :(

So-I was right. More than a quarter of a million people were killed by these tsunami.

***sigh*** Another edit...

:cry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#185 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:28 PM

Tsunami 'landslide' revealed

The Royal Navy's HMS Scott has been taking underwater sonar readings off the Indonesian island of Sumatra to try to find out how the earthquake unfolded and then produced the giant waves that have killed nearly 300,000 people in 11 countries.

The ship's officers presented the readings in the form of coloured digital mapping at the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office in Somerset, England, indicating a large landslide some 100m high by 2km in length.

HMS Scott's Commanding Officer Steve Malcolm said initial assessments by scientists indicate two of the earth's tectonic plates clashed together, causing a ridge on the seabed which forced sea water to travel upwards to form the devastating tsunami on December 26.

It must have occurred "like the rumpling up of a carpet," he said.

He said he hoped the survey would give a warning as to when this could happen again "with the aim of removing the likelihood of such a terrible loss of life".

The survey will provide the "base map" for future extensive research into the process of how earthquakes work and how they produce tsunamis.

Data will help produce charts to build a picture of what happened on December 26 and what might happen next.

The commander said it was hoped the Indonesian government would permit the release of as much information as possible to the wider local community "to give warning to prevent such a tragedy happening again".

He said the survey and its images, though unable to give exact predictions of when earthquakes will occur, could indicate a level of risk.

The depth of the water in the area of the epicenter varies between 200m and 5000m metres, all of which is within the HMS Scott's capability, scientists say.

The epicenter of the quake, which measured a massive 9.0 on the Richter scale, lies within the Indonesian Exclusive Economic Zone.

The survey will fall under the definition of Marine Scientific Research under the UN Convention on Law of the Sea.

:blink:
Posted Image

#186 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:54 AM

100 m by 2 km... the mind boggles.  :suspect:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Indonesia, Sri Lanka

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users