Natural Disasters Tsunami Indonesia Sri Lanka

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#21 tvbuff

tvbuff
  • Islander
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

Thank you for the information Shoshana.  I will check that out.

;)

My God....I saw these reports....this is unbelieveable.

:eek4:

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:27 PM

That is a massive rearthquake and the pictures are alittle shocking with it being the tourist season as well. :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

I work with a number of people from Madras (Chennai), one of the hardest hit cities in India, which at last count had 1700+ casualties.  I hope that their families in Chennai were unaffected.

:o  :eek:  :(

I don't even know what to say to them when I get into work...It's so awful it's beyond mere words.
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#24 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

I can't help hoping that the science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, who lives in Sri Lanka, survived. I've read that he lives on the opposite side of the area that was hit hardest, so maybe he did.

A 9.0 (or even 9.2) quake??! I still can't get over how apocalyptic that is. :fear:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#25 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

For tvbuff:

http://www.nzherald....bjectID=9004724

This lists the death toll at 12, 600.

:eek4:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#26 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 11:32 PM

What IS the most powerful earthquake known to have occured? This one must rank near the top.

:Oo:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#27 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

It looks like the damage is on the coastal areas facing the quake origin area - I'd think if Arthur C Clarke was at home he'd be ok.

This earthquake is tied for #4 since 1900

News sources saying 14,425 now were killed.  http://story.news.ya...&u=/nm/quake_dc
USGS has a list of biggest earthquakes worldwide since 1900.

http://neic.usgs.gov...maps_world.html

Location  Date UTC                                            Magnitude 
1.  Chile     1960                                                          9.5 
2.  Prince William Sound, Alaska  1964 03 28                  9.2
3.  Andreanof Islands, Alaska  1957 03 09                      9.1 
4.  Kamchatka  1952                                                    9.0 
4.  Off the West Coast of Northern Sumatra  2004 12 26  9.0 
6.  Off the Coast of Ecuador  1906 01 31                        8.8 
7.  Rat Islands, Alaska  1965 02 04                                8.7 
8.  Assam - Tibet  1950 08 15                                        8.6 
9.  Kamchatka  1923 02 03                                           8.5 
10.  Banda Sea, Indonesia  1938 02 01                          8.5 
11.  Kuril Islands  1963 10 13                                       8.5

According to http://www.ig.utexas...q/faq/world.htm

Q: What was the biggest earthquake ever?

A: The biggest earthquake known in historical times occurred on 22 May 1960 in Chile, with a magnitude Mw of 9.5. It occurred because of a rupture in the Earth's crust that extended horizontally about 1000 km along the coast of South America; in some places this quake caused vertical uplifts as large as six meters. The second biggest earthquake known, with a magnitude of 9.2, occurred in Alaska on 27 March 1964; it had a rupture length of 800 km, and caused as much as 11 meters of uplift.

Theoretical calculations suggest that these earthquakes are just about as large as possible for planet Earth. Suppose a hypothetical earthquake ruptures the entire 100 km thickness of the rigid tectonic plates, and suppose this rupture extends along a fault with length 1000 km with an average slip of 10 meters. Calculations show that this hypothetical earthquake would have a magnitude of about 9.3. Larger earthquakes would have to rupture an even longer fault with an even greater average slip; apparently this just doesn't happen.

Edited by Shoshana, 27 December 2004 - 01:13 AM.

#28 Redshirt #24

Redshirt #24

Bill the Redshirt

• Islander
  • 707 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:55 AM

As of this morning, both Yahoo! and CNN are reporting the death toll has cleared twenty-one thousand.

I'm just...numb.  And I'm stuck thinking "God, I hope that the people that were taken didn't suffer." :(

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

Redshirt #24, on Dec 27 2004, 07:55 AM, said:

As of this morning, both Yahoo! and CNN are reporting the death toll has cleared twenty-one thousand.

I'm just...numb.  And I'm stuck thinking "God, I hope that the people that were taken didn't suffer." :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm listening to NPR, and the figure has gone up to 23,000 dead.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Posted Image

#30 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:41 AM

The only thing of decent news I can report, is that my colleagues at the desk in India are all-right, and so are their families.

but in every other way, this is a pretty downbeat way to end the year. :(

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#31 Laconiq

Laconiq
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

I'm listening to NPR, and the figure has gone up to 23,000 dead.
:(
I fear it will continue to rise...
I heard a report that many people may have gone back to the shore to have a look after the first wave, and got caught in the wave that followed.
A further problem in Sri Lanka is that land mines buried there during the civil war have now been dislodged by the massive water surge.

There was also a rather large undersea earthquake, measuring 8.1, halfway between Australia and Antarctica on Xmas Eve:

http://www.theaustra...255E421,00.html

#32 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:12 AM

I just heard from a friend visiting Burma....She's ok, thank heavens, but both old mobiless mashed, she's got a new one, but yahoo, aol and hotmail are all blocked as are mobile phone signals...very little detail so far, as things are still chaotic, to say at the least.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#33 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:13 AM

I was looking at some photos-morgues where dozens of bodies were-and in one photo, among the bodies was the corpse of an infant. :cry:

Two others of children that I saw included a bunch of folks standing around a dead boy, and one Indian man carrying a dead girl to a mass grave. :cry:

Oh man.....

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
Posted Image

#34 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:35 AM

Whoa, this thing hit Chennai? I have family there!

It was just the coast, though, right? It didn't affect the main city? Does anyone know?

#35 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

Norville: A 9.0 (or even 9.2) quake??! I still can't get over how apocalyptic that is.

I can't even begin to get my mind around it.

What a horrific thing.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#36 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Lyric Z D}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Folks, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has issued the following appeal:

http://www.ifrc.org/....pl?04/2804.pdf

Most likely due to internet traffic, that site is absolutely horrendous to pull up.  I am therefore attempting to attach the appeal here.

In any event, here are some key quotes:

THIS PRELIMINARY EMERGENCY APPEAL PROVISIONALLY
SEEKS CHF 7,517,000 (USD 6,658,712 OR EUR 4,852,932) IN CASH,
KIND, OR SERVICES TO ASSIST SOME 500,000 PEOPLE FOR 6
MONTHS

CHF 1,000,000 HAS BEEN ALLOCATED FROM THE
FEDERATIONíS DISASTER RELIEF EMERGENCY
FUND (DREF)

Immediate Needs, and Red Cross and Red Crescent Action
Based on preliminary reports from offices and delegationís in the region, the Federation anticipates massive relief needs for approximately two-three weeks, with considerable longer-term rehabilitation needs thereafter. CHF 1,000,000 has been released from the Federationís DREF to support the initial assistance and relief activities. In a quick and appreciated response to the scale of this disaster, ECHO has indicated that EUR 3 million will be immediately made available to support the initial operation.

The affected countries have indicated that they have the required trained technical personnel, but there is a critical need to provide support in procuring and delivering relief supplies, along with logistics/transportation assistance. The national societies in the affected area are immediately focusing on search and rescue activities, and treatment of the injured. Basic relief items are needed, along with shelter, and basic building materials to damaged or destroyed dwellings, and to replenish household items in the form of tarpaulin sheets; family kits, and mosquito nets. A
crucial part of the operation is tracing and family linking, and the Federation is working with the national societies to provide the required technical support, particularly focusing on restoring family links (RFL). The following details have been received for the following countries:

∑ Sri Lanka: 1,500 deaths, and initial reports indicate that between 750,000 and one million people are affected. The Federation is sending 10 New Health Emergency Kits (NEHK) and 2 cholera kits. The Government of Sri Lanka has declared a state of emergency.
∑ Indonesia, Aceh Province: 438 deaths, with hundreds of houses swept away and thousands displaced from their homes by high tides in the towns of Medan and Banda Aceh, the capitals of two of Sumatra's provinces. Power and telephone networks in the area have been disrupted, making it difficult to assess the extent of the devastation. Indonesia's worst-hit region appears to be Aceh. Most of the 400 dead were drowned by waves. Part of Banda Acehís largest hotel is said to have collapsed. In November, 29 people died when an earthquake struck Indonesia's eastern province of Papua.
∑ Maldives: reports indicate that most of the low-lying islands were completely submerged, but there is very limited additional information or details available.
∑ India: 1,625 deaths.
∑ Thailand: close to 156 deaths, with over 2,000 injured or missing, mostly in the tourist island of Phuket when the wave, 5 to 10 metres (16 to 32 feet) high, crashed onto hotel-lined beaches at the peak of the tourist season. The government sent helicopters to Koh Phi Phi, another island popular with tourists, and other smaller islands in the Andaman Sea to assess the damage. A lack of medical personnel is reported.

The government also ordered the immediate evacuation of areas hit by a tidal wave in three southern provinces, which included beaches on the resort island of Phuket popular with western and Asian tourists and in peak season. Recent reports form the Thai Red Cross indicate 61 dead, 1,139 injured and many people missing. The headquarters is sending 5 doctors and several nurses to Phuket. 1,000 packages
consisting of food, cloths and water will be distributed to the affected people.

And most importantly (but not in the appeal):

http://www.ifrc.org/...te_response.asp

Acting locally, Responding globally

In a world of poverty, war, displacement and disaster, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies serves those in need without regard as to race, religion, class or political belief.

The International Federation directs and coordinates international assistance to some of the world's most vulnerable people. Together with Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies, the Federation acts locally to respond to humanitarian challenges everywhere, everyday.

You can help communities around the world by making a donation today.

Instead of donating online, you may also donate at your local Red Cross/Red Crescent.  To find one visit: http://www.ifrc.org/...s/directory.asp  Again, note - due to international response (I'm surmising), this site is extremely slow.  It will load, but you'll have to be patient.

HM07

Attached Files

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#37 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:20 PM

It's the fourth most powerful earthquake on record (since they started keeping records in 1896.)  One faint silver lining is that this may get many of the internal and regional conflicts in the area to look pretty stupid in comparison.  Pakistan is supposedly sending significant aid to India, for example.

I'm afraid the casualty statistics are gonig to go much, much higher.  :pout:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#38 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:29 PM

I was watching ABC News Now and they had an interview with a UN Rep. He was saying that they don't have any kind of accurate idea of the numbers- that they can't even get thru to their people on Sumatra closest to the epicenter of the earthquake.

Now they're saying that entire villages and hundreds of people are missing in the coast of Somalia - thousands of km away.

I sure feel for all those people affected- both by the wave itself and the problems that are bound to occur because of the disruption in clean water supplies, raw sewage spills, disease and of course dislodged land mines...

Tsunami death toll rises to 23,500

I was wondering about this tsunami vs the one that occurred after Krakatoa blew in the 1800's and found this article-

Asia's killer tsunami echoes 1883 Krakatoa wave

AKARTA, Dec 27 (Reuters) - The weekend mega-quake off Sumatra and ensuing tsunami waves that killed more than 22,000 people in southern Asia were not the first apocalyptic seismic events in Indonesia to devastate the region.

Probably the most destructive tsunami in recorded history originated in what was then the Dutch East Indies, when the island volcano of Krakatoa erupted in August 1883 in a series of four cataclysmic explosions that spewed ash around the world and generated a wave felt through the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Author Simon Winchester described the event as "The day the world exploded".

History books describe how a series of large tsunami waves, some reaching a height of nearly 40 metres (120 ft) above sea level, killed more than 36,000 people in the coastal towns and villages along the Sunda Strait on Java and Sumatra islands.

Most of the victims were killed by the wave and not by the eruption that destroyed two thirds of the island.

Tsunami waves from the eruption were recorded or observed throughout the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the American West Coast, South America, and even as far away as the English Channel.

The giant waves devastated everything in their path and hurled ashore coral blocks weighing as much as 600 tonnes. A warship in the area was carried 3 km (2 miles) inland by the waves and deposited on a low-lying hillside.

It took 12 hours for the tsunami from Krakatoa's explosion to reach Aden on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula -- a distance usually sailed by a good steamer of the time in 12 days.

According to Winchester, bodies were washed up in Zanzibar and the sound of the island's destruction was heard in Austalia and India.

'shana

Edited by Shoshana, 27 December 2004 - 12:30 PM.

#39 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:36 PM

Lyric... I think it was a coastal event. I'm attempting to find out more for you on the net. Can't stay online long tho cause one of my computer fans just started screeching!

Will be back - all the news sources in local areas have bogged down websites...

'shana

#40 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:43 PM

{{{HM07}}}

{{{'Shana}}}

That's okay, you don't have to look anything up. If something happened to them, we would have found out two days before all this happened. :) News travels extra fast in my family.

Thank you for your thoughts, guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Indonesia, Sri Lanka

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users