• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#1 JillliJ

JillliJ

Loyal Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:41 AM

I know I should be posting more of my other story, but well, I'm bad.  I write better with two fics going anyway.  When I get stumped on one, I work on the other, and vise versa.  Anyway, this one is kind of an experiment anyway, just to see if I can do it.  Don't worry, both fics will be finished.  I always finish, even if I do write slow.

So here it is, let me know how you like it.  I accept both boo's and cheers. :)

Jill

The Winds of Change

Author:  Jill
Archive:  Fine with me, just tell me where it’s going.
Disclaimer:  None of the characters from Andromeda belong to me.  
Rating: PG
Season:  Very AU!  I guess it would have to be pre-andromeda into first season, because all the first season characters are present.
Spoilers:  none
Author’s note:  This story is based in an alternate universe.  The characters are all there, but they might be slightly different in order to fit this universe.
Summery:  Beka thought she had it all; a good life on the “Eureka Maru”, a handsome fiancé, and the freedom and respect to live her life how she wanted to.  Then that scrawny kid showed up and it all went to pot.

Prologue

Rebekah Valentine shielded her eyes with one hand as she stared off into the west, a frown turning the corners of her lips down.  The dark clouds were quickly bearing down on her across the rolling landscape and still there was no sign of anyone.  If her fiancé didn’t get his sorry behind home soon, he was going to get caught in this storm, and she darn well wasn’t about to go out looking for him.  

A sudden intense gust of wind whipped her skirts up wildly and she swatted them down, annoyed.  Beka Valentine was a woman of her own breed.  Never mind that women in 1860 were supposed to conform to certain mores and standards; Beka did what she wanted, when she wanted, and if that bothered anyone, well that was just too bad.  With only her own blood, sweat, and guts she had taken the worn down ranch she inherited from her father and turned it into something to be proud of.  Sure, she still owe a lot to the bank and her father’s creditors, but she was steadily paying it off and the “Eureka Maru” was starting to blossom.  So anyone that wanted to criticize her social conduct could just take a hike, preferably right off a cliff.  If she felt like wearing pants, she was going to wear pants; if she felt like a dress, she would wear a dress.  Today, she had felt like a dress and now she was starting to regret her decision.  She was suddenly reminded how much she hated wind and weather.    

Looking once more into the coming storm, Beka scanned the horizon for any sign of movement but found none.

“Bobby Jensen, you are on your own,” she grumbled as she climbed up the porch steps, stomped across the porch and into her house, slamming the door behind her.

Posted Image

Keeper of Harper's Bunk on Beka's Ship
Keeper of Beka's Unoffical Little Brother

#2 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:56 PM

ooh the characters in a past setting....this should be cool!  took me a min to figure out the Maru is a ranch in this setting.

can't wait to see Harper the immigrant kid (since back then he woulda been considered an immigrant LOL)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#3 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:58 PM

Interesting start Jilli, looking forward to where it goes.

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#4 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

saner than an emu on acid

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

Very cool start. Looking forward to more.
God Save and God Bless!
ChicaFrom3 - corrupting the world, one ex-stoner at a time.
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.
visit member profile for keeper titles

#5 Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom

Chasing nuns out in the yard

• Islander
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:14 PM

Hey, this is cool. Looking forward to more
<~~~Rebekah, Viper pilot. Callsign: "Flash"

And if I die today I'll be the happy phantom. And I will never need umbrellas in the rain. - "Happy Phantom", Tori Amos

Lee and Kara | River Tam | Simon Tam | Beka Valentine | Legolas | Charlie Eppes

Formerly BekaMP3

#6 LittleRedhead

LittleRedhead

Have a Sparky

• Islander
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to more of this AU.
John 3:16

Littleredhead's handle is definitely "Truth in Advertising". - Rov

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

aw man what a GREAT idea!! Can't wait for Harper to show up :D :D

i know i know, one track mind...:D :love:

keep going JilliJ! I love your fics :D :love:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 mizor

mizor
  • Islander
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:27 AM

This could be really interesting.  My mind boggles trying to guess what Rev will appear as.

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

I always forget Rev, i rarely put him in my fics, so he may simply not be in this one either.

More soon! :D i mean, uh, please :look:

Sparky

#10 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:52 AM

mizor, on Jan 11 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

This could be really interesting.  My mind boggles trying to guess what Rev will appear as.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

of course i have no way to get inside Jill's head but i bet Rev will be the traveling priest or something similar.  :D

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 LittleRedhead

LittleRedhead

Have a Sparky

• Islander
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:07 AM

Um is it too early to start coughing?

#12 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:11 AM

yah good idea Cheile :)

And *cough* gads i'm impatient aren't i? :angel: (Rich coming from someone who has on occasion truly forgotten that i'm posting a fic for weeks on end!)

Still...*cough* update *cough*

Dang where'd i put that Calpol...

#13 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

It's never too early to start coughing.

*coughupdatecough*
God Save and God Bless!
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.

#14 janeta-marie siri

janeta-marie siri
  • Islander
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

great story, i love  AU :love:  :love:  :love:

*cough* please *cough* update *cough*
The golden Trancer

Purple duck have no place in kitchen... amen.

#15 JillliJ

JillliJ

Loyal Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:10 AM

Cheile, Ani, Chica, Beka, LittleRedhead, Sparky, Mizor and Janeta......THANKS!!!!  You guys are giving me a big head with too much incouragement, but I really do appreciate it.  I'm having so much fun figuring this fic out.  It's nice you like it too.  As for what Rev (or any of them) will appear as, you will just have to wait and see.  Thanks for the coughing, makes me think faster.  (Just don't give me your colds....hehehehe.)

Now, I appologize that this is so short.  The plot bunny took an unexpected turn that I certainly didn't authorize and I've had to stop short and rethink.  I never thought I would see this day, but I've actually had to do a little research for this....research for an Andromeda fic....what is the world coming to?  Anyway, thanks for reading, hope you enjoy, and more will be coming soon I promise.

Oh yeah, the poem "Threshold of Tomorrow" is not mine.  It belongs to Catherine Sadler.  I'm just borrowing it.

---------

I stand on the threshold of tomorrow.
Part of me still lies in today,
Part wafts gently through the cobwebs of yesterdays gone,
A still a third part remains in the future, yet to be unearthed.
But for now I stand at a bend in the road
Looking forward on days yet to be traveled,
Gazing wistfully over my shoulder at memories that
will never live again save in my innermost heart.
Tomorrow will bring a new day that bears with it another destiny,
Joy and pain, loneliness and love,
But today I stand on the threshold of my tomorrow
And I am not afraid.

- Catherine Sadler

Chapter 1

Beka woke with a start when she heard the barn door bang loudly.  With a small moan, she realized she’d fallen asleep in the hard rocking chair waiting for Bobby and now she was stiff and sore.  She also noticed it was the middle of the night and the lantern she’d left in the window had burned very low.  The mighty prairie winds were still shaking the frame house and she could hear that rain was now pounding down on the roof as well.  Wondering if the wind had somehow caught the barn door and swung it open, she rose to go to the window and check.

‘Or,’ the more cynical part of her mind added, ‘it could be a bandit or outlaw looking for somewhere to hide out from the storm.’

With a frown, she mentally told her cynical voice to shut up, but she still grabbed her pistol from its holster at the door as she went by.  Stopping at the window, she peered out into the swirling darkness, straining to see through the driving wind and rain.  After a moment she could just make out the imposing shape of her barn, a blacker mass in the general darkness.  Looking closely, she saw that the door was shut, just as it should be.  Nothing appeared amiss and there was still no sign of Bobby.  If he had even one ounce of brains in his head (and sometimes Beka seriously doubted that) he most certainly must have holed up in town to ride out the storm.  He wouldn’t be coming back until it was over.  

She waited a few more minutes but there was nothing suspicious enough to make her brave the storm in the dark.  What ever it was, it could definitely wait until morning when the weather might decide to be decent again.  She was getting too jumpy; imagining things that weren’t there.  With one last look out the window, Beka picked up the sputtering lamp and headed upstairs to her bedroom.  It was time to get some real sleep.  

But she still took the pistol with her.

--------

The faint light of dawn trickled through the window, proving that the storm had finally blown itself out as Beka pulled herself out of bed.  With a sigh, she rummaged around for some clothes to put on, her only criteria that it not be a dress today.  Eventually, she unearthed a slightly rumpled white cotton shirt that buttoned down the front and lacked a collar.  She quickly pulled it on and tucked it into a pair of worn brown trousers.  They were a bit tighter than was respectable, but Bobby never seemed to mind.  Still half asleep, she pulled on her boots and strapped her pistol on at her hip.  Finally, she splashed a little water on her face to help her wake up and ran her fingers through the blonde hair she kept cut short, another breach of social conduct.  Her toiletries complete, she ignored the messy bed and left the room; she had chores to do.

By the time she entered the big barn, Beka was fully awake and enjoying the fresh morning air.  As much as she hated storms, a good rain always did make it feel like everything had been washed clean.  With a smile, Beka grabbed the pitchfork and started to toss some hay to her stock, savoring the sweet scent of the dry grass as she went.  It was such a beautiful day she could almost forgive Bobby for not being there to help out – almost.

Beka finished feeding the horses and was thinking about heading back to start breakfast when something caught her eye, off near the back of the barn in a large pile of hay. Cautiously, she moved closer to investigate.  As she approached, her frown deepened and she instinctively drew her gun.  Poking out from her hay, in her barn, was a small and very dirty hand that most defiantly didn’t have her permission to be there.

-------

Okay, that's all for now folks.  I promise the other characters will be coming shortly.

Jill

Posted Image

Keeper of Harper's Bunk on Beka's Ship
Keeper of Beka's Unoffical Little Brother

#16 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

JillliJ, on Jan 16 2005, 05:10 AM, said:

Poking out from her hay, in her barn, was a small and very dirty hand that most defiantly didn’t have her permission to be there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HARPER!

It's HARPER!

HARPER!

:D :D :D

Is it evident yet that I :love: this?

More, please?
God Save and God Bless!

#17 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:50 PM

What she said ^

Harper!! :D :D :D

Woo can't wait for the next chapter- it's bound to have Harper in it :D

Great update, but yeah too short, i think you should post the next one quicker to make up for it :angel: :whistle:

*Ducks tribble* ok maybe you're not convinced by my innocent look...

Love it! :love:

Sparky

#18 janeta-marie siri

janeta-marie siri
  • Islander
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

HARPER!!!

:D  :love:  :D  :love:  :D   :love:

hmm... i wonder how beka will meet trance...

:purpleninja:  :purpleninja:  :purpleninja:  :purpleninja:  :purpleninja:

great story so far!!! please update soon!!

.~*kate*~.

Edited by janeta siri, 16 January 2005 - 05:55 PM.

The golden Trancer

Purple duck have no place in kitchen... amen.

#19 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

Seems like a cool story, Jill. Yeah, I'm thinking that hand is the hand of Harper as well....

#20 LittleRedhead

LittleRedhead

Have a Sparky

• Islander
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:52 PM

Ooh Harper's making an apperance soon. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users