• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:37 AM

Prince Harry Apologizes

Hello! That is not exactly the best choice of costumes for anyone, and especially not a member of the Royal Family to be seen wearing.

:blink:

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:40 AM

Dumb choice, but really this is a little 'tempest in a teapot' for me.

I've been to fancy dress parties, folks dress up for them. I've yet to hear someone complain about the dude in the devil getup, or the guy dressed as a rotting corpse, or as 'death'

It's a costume, it doesn't mean he is a proponent of the philosophies the costume represents, nor that he walks around in jackboots during his day to day life.

it was a dumb choice, but it really isn't front page news in my opinion.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:09 AM

It was not the brightest move on the Prince's part, but I wonder if people would have been less upset if he had showed up in an NKVD uniform? Stalin is given credit for 20 million dead, but was more culturally diverse in his slaughter. Then again, who would recognize an NKVD uniform?  :wacko:

#4 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:02 AM

you gotta give our royal family credit, at least they keep things....interesting.

you gotta wonder though...Prince Harry must have people who are meant to look after him...carers, bodyguards what have you. surely at least one of them  would have noticed that this was a bad idea?

but like you said, not front page news really.
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#5 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

The dysfunctionality of the royal family has me wondering why Britons don't just abandon those hapless fools and become a republic.  Monarchies are a relic of a thousand years ago.

#6 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

Meh. Harry is an idiot; he got, what, 1 A-Level (an E) in art, and even then there have been some reports that his teachers cheated to get him there. He'll get a large slap on the wrist and hopefully grow up. Silly boy, considering the timing - 60th anniversery of VE/VJ, and less than two weeks before Holocaust memorial day.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:31 PM

Steven_Q, on Jan 13 2005, 02:40 AM, said:

Dumb choice, but really this is a little 'tempest in a teapot' for me.

I've been to fancy dress parties, folks dress up for them. I've yet to hear someone complain about the dude in the devil getup, or the guy dressed as a rotting corpse, or as 'death'

It's a costume, it doesn't mean he is a proponent of the philosophies the costume represents, nor that he walks around in jackboots during his day to day life.

it was a dumb choice, but it really isn't front page news in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. People were all kinds of costumes to um...costume parties - doesn't mean they have any interest in being Caesar or Marie Antoinette either. :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:31 PM

hawkeye, on Jan 13 2005, 06:02 AM, said:

you gotta give our royal family credit, at least they keep things....interesting.

you gotta wonder though...Prince Harry must have people who are meant to look after him...carers, bodyguards what have you. surely at least one of them  would have noticed that this was a bad idea?

but like you said, not front page news really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minders? :p :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:57 PM

Looks like he's been spending too much time with Prince Phillip...
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#10 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:22 PM

Minders! thats the word i was looking for :D

and i have every hope that the crown will skip phillip and go to William. he seems ok. he went as a lion to the costume party :p
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#11 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:42 PM

I can't wait until Harry ends up at Sandhurst.  :devil:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

hawkeye, on Jan 13 2005, 03:22 PM, said:

Minders! thats the word i was looking for :D

and i have every hope that the crown will skip phillip and go to William. he seems ok. he went as a lion to the costume party :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean skip Charles and go to William.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#13 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

yes but in the end, it's a frikkin costume party. not real life.
I'm certain that if he went in any other country's military uniform of *60 years ago* he would not have been given a hard time, nor if he'd gone in say.. a Bush mask.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#14 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:20 PM

I don't think the Prince's "handlers" are allowed to tell him what to wear and what to do. He is a prince after all. But Prince Harry has never been notorious for making good choices. I think he takes after his father in that respect.
I think there's a good chance that the crown will bypass Charles in favour of William. Then we can hear women across the Commonwealth (which, being Canadian, I am part of) heave one collective sigh of adoration.

Rhys Hayden
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#15 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

while i agree it's not front page news, i would think Diana would have taught Harry better.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#16 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

What a smeghead!! :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#17 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well, I wish I could give him a break, because we've all done something stupid, and continue to do stupid things in spite of ourselves.

But this isn't just stupid.

He wore a costume of the very people who killed millions of Jews, and bombed his country mercilessly, and almost changed this world, maybe irreversibly.

Now, I hear Charles wants him to go to the Auschwitz concentration camp. And that it's not an option.

I hope he then learns just how stupid this was.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#18 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:12 PM

Since Prince Harry IS in the spotlight quite a bit,
and available to impressionable peers,
I think it best that he learn to carry (and dress)
himself in a manner that is less controversial and
perhaps a bit more dignified for a person of his
station.

If it were an average run-of-the-mill Joe (or
Josephine  ;) ), world-wide press coverage would
not have been an issue.

Charles has done the right thing in ordering his
son to view the Auschwitz camp.  Perhaps an
upclose and personal look at one of the death
camps will open his eyes to what atrocities were
put upon the prisoners, and make him realize
that some things in this world aren't to be made fun of.

Just my opinion.

Gambler

#19 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:30 PM

It was in poor taste to be sure, but since when does wearing a costume imply approval?  Especially when so many costumes are meant to evoke images of things we fear and hate?  As others above have pointed out, how many people go to costume parties dressed as pirates or 1920s gangsters, to name two examples-- not exactly nice human beings?  If Prince Harry had come to the party dressed as Sid Vicious, would that mean he was endorsing shooting heroin and stabbing one's girlfriend to death?

Harry deserves a slap on the wrist for this, but all the hysterical fulminating is beginning to look silly.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#20 Brynhilde

Brynhilde

An ardent admirer

• Islander
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:31 PM

I think this has been blown right out of proportion. When my sister worked at a costume shop a bloke came in asking for a Nazi costume, which they advised him against, and then while he was getting changed into it some Germans came in. Egg on his face. My point is that not only do people sometimes not realise now seriously things can be interpretted, but a lot of people dress up as things like Nazis. I'm not says its a good idea, but my Grandfather who served all over the world during WW2 and was really anti-Nazi, dressed up as Hitler for a fancy dress party. If this were anyone else in the world nobody would have cared and it certainly wouldn't be front page news. 150,000 people died last week and this is all people are interested in?

Fact is, Harry tends to make bad choices, from cheating in exams to drugs to whatever. He apologised, he issued a statement, he admitted he was wrong. Although making him see Aushwitz might make him feel bad about the people who died, it might not stop him from doing something equally stupid again.

Although I can't help thinking that if he'd gone the whole hog and dressed as Hitler with a moustache and everything that people might just have laughed it off?

:unsure:
"Ah, get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift..."

~ Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, Prince Harry, Halloween Costume, Nazi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users