• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:59 AM

Just when you think this kind of thing can't happen any more....

A weekend television weatherman was fired after he made an on-air racial slur about Martin Luther King Jr., station officials said.

Rob Blair of KTNV-TV was delivering the extended forecast Saturday morning when he said: "For tomorrow, 60 degrees, Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Day, gonna see some temperatures in the mid-60s.

Excuse me??!?!

Jim Prather, vice president and general manager of the ABC affiliate, said Blair stumbled but the excuse was not enough to save his job.

Blair apologized during the station's 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Saturday newscasts.

"On a weather report earlier this morning, I made an accidental slip of the tongue when talking about the Martin Luther King holiday, and what I said was interpreted by many viewers as highly offensive. For that I offer my deepest apology. I in no way intended to offend anyone. I'm very sorry."
  Yeah,  that c#$n business just kinda sliped out..... :crazy:  :angry:

full story here..

http://www.sfgate.co...1420EST0052.DTL

gc   :devil:

Edited by gaius claudius, 18 January 2005 - 11:05 AM.

I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#2 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:23 AM

^
Actually, I'm pretty willing to believe that it did. It could easily be an unintentional spoonerism -- "King Junior" becomes "Kun Jinior" -- that the poor guy caught halfway through.

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

It is always good to remember that racism is an active reality - and that racism against blacks in America is still very real.  It may be dying a slow painful death, but its pretty fiesty going down.

We desire but the good of the world and the happiness of the nations; yet they deem Us a stirrer up of strife and sedition worthy of bondage and banishment.... That all nations should become one in faith and all men as brothers; that the bonds of affection and unity between the sons of men should be strengthened; that diversity of religion should cease, and differences of race be annulled -- what harm is there in this?

(Baha'u'llah, The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. viii)

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

Dev F, on Jan 18 2005, 11:23 AM, said:

^
Actually, I'm pretty willing to believe that it did. It could easily be an unintentional spoonerism -- "King Junior" becomes "Kun Jinior" -- that the poor guy caught halfway through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonsense.  That "Coon" joke was a favorite in civil rights era.  If it slipped out, it slipped out because it was on his tongue in the first place.

"Coon" by the way, was yet another derogatory name hurled at blacks.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

My guess is that that's what he called the holiday around his friends, and it slipped out during crunch time.

#6 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

Handmaiden07, on Jan 18 2005, 11:29 AM, said:

Nonsense.  That "Coon" joke was a favorite in civil rights era.  If it slipped out, it slipped out because it was on his tongue in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My same thought exactly!

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:47 AM

I see. So now we are firing people because of their beliefs. Hmmm. Interesting. Next thing will be firing because of their religion. Oh, wait. That is also a part of their beiliefs....

Unfrelling believable. I hope this weatherman sues the broadcast station and wins.

Was what he said offensive and inappropriate. Yes, without doubt. And if the station had suspended him, I'd say fine. He got what he deserved. But to fire and ruin a man's career over a mistake....BS.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

For note, something similar happened to a football announcer in the UK last year who wasn't aware the mike was still on when he made some rather, erm, disparaging remarks concerning football players with dark skins.

I would hope that he would be given the benefit of the doubt, but it appears that isn't so.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

Dev F, on Jan 18 2005, 12:23 PM, said:

^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

junior/King/Junior....

kunior ???

Jing???

You gotta be kidding me... :devil:  :crazy:

If this isn't the text book defintion of a Freudian slip...then I don't know what is...

I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#10 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:52 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 18 2005, 12:47 PM, said:

I see. So now we are firing people because of their beliefs. Hmmm. Interesting. Next thing will be firing because of their religion. Oh, wait. That is also a part of their beiliefs....

Unfrelling believable. I hope this weatherman sues the broadcast station and wins.

Was what he said offensive and inappropriate. Yes, without doubt. And if the station had suspended him, I'd say fine. He got what he deserved. But to fire and ruin a man's career over a mistake....BS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So if he had said something like "Happy N*GG*r Day" .you would just  say "Oh Well, different belief system" .pat him on the back and let him go on his way??

gc  :devil:
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 18 2005, 11:47 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What beliefs are you speaking about here?  And what right does he have to foist those beliefs on the rest of the station?  He isn't there to talk about his beliefs, he's there to report the weather.  He violated the terms of contract by speaking up about his "beliefs" on company time and in the name of the company, if that's what he's doing.

And I note that you are in effect agreeing that this was not a mistake - but a belief.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:01 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 18 2005, 12:47 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess what..After thinking some more about this issue..You may be right..Suspension...coupled maybe with some type of racial sesitivity trainning or some type of community service may be a better solution.  

I can forgive ignorance.....I don't forget..but I can forgive..

- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

Handmaiden07, on Jan 18 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

What beliefs are you speaking about here? And what right does he have to foist those beliefs on the rest of the station? He isn't there to talk about his beliefs, he's there to report the weather. He violated the terms of contract by speaking up about his "beliefs" on company time and in the name of the company, if that's what he's doing.

And I note that you are in effect agreeing that this was not a mistake - but a belief.

HM07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I don't think it was a mistake...I know someone else mentioned the possibility that he got caught between the words King and Junior, but no matter how I tried to join the two words, I still don't come up with c**n...Although, I'd like to see the original broadcast before making a final decision on that.

As for what beliefs...IMO, this person IS racist. But, as disgusting as I find that to be, it IS his RIGHT to believe that. And you're correct, he shouldn't have spoken about HIS beliefs on air...but would he have been fired if he had said: "GOD is giving us good weather today, sunny and 60 degrees all day."? I don't think he would've. Nor should he be fired for this.

Suspended, yes. Fired no.

edited tthe "C" word so as not to offend others.

Edited by LORD of the SWORD, 18 January 2005 - 12:24 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:27 PM

Nope.  It counts as hate speech, which IS a crime, and violates the ethics standards of most companies.  There are some things for which you can get immediately fired for.  Ethical misconduct that exposes the company to lawsuits and the like count.

The company made a quick and expedient management decision to sack an employee who violated ethical standards, jeopardized the FCC license of the station, put the station in jeopardy for lawsuits, etc.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:35 PM

Maybe the weatherman suffered from Teretz??

:p :smirk: :p
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#16 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:47 PM

Handmaiden07, on Jan 18 2005, 11:29 AM, said:

Nonsense.  That "Coon" joke was a favorite in civil rights era.  If it slipped out, it slipped out because it was on his tongue in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's certainly possible, but I would hesitate to assume it about someone about whom I know absolutely nothing, especially when I don't even have a recording of his statement to consult. People make slips of the tongue all the time, and sometimes they're totally linguistic in nature, not Freudian at all. (And sometimes they're Freudian but not indicative of real malice; you can get something horrible stuck in your head and end up saying it out loud simply because you kept thinking about how awful it would be if you accidentally said it.)

My point is, if there's even a possibility that this was an innocent accident, I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

#17 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:49 PM

^Fair enough.  That's a good standard to repair to, and I'll readily admit a degree of sensitivity on the subject.  God alone is the judger of hearts, after all.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#18 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

I can't believe anyone could seriously even for a moment consider something so monumentally ridiculous as to claim that "of course" it MUST have been a racist thing. Reversing the vowels of two consecutive or nearby syllables is one of the most common speech fumbles there is, especially when those syllables have consonants in common, as is the case here. We've all done it many times ourselves, so we all KNOW it's true, even if the results are usually off-air and don't coincidentally happen to make other real words. But now we're supposed to pretend it's impossible for any such thing to ever occur, just because that particular load of BS in this case creates an opportunity to yell "Racism! Raaaaacismmmm!". The depths to which some people are willing to sink for the cause of creating this kind of problem from nothing at all continue to amaze.

#19 Rockhound

Rockhound

I've seen so much "spin" I'm getting drunk!

• Islander
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

Digital Man said:

Maybe the weatherman suffered from Teretz??

^ LOL.

I'm back.  Work has kept me down, but I got free. :p

Ya know, firing him was a little harsh.  As to his beliefs, it's not like he said "well, it's going to be good weather today, so if you wanna hang a ni**er, then by God this is the day to do it! Oh, and Bobby Lee's birthday will be even better, so save up five to hang on that day!"

Meh.  The guy was stupid.  Fine'im and move on.  Hit him where it hurts, and he'll straighten up.

I'd be more impressed if Martin Luther King's name was actually "Martin Luther."  It wasn't...it was Michael King Jr...or if he'd actually earned that "Dr." instead of having it handed to him.

But that's just me.  Remember, opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. ;)

Edited to include quote. Sorry...

Edited by Rockhound, 18 January 2005 - 03:03 PM.

"Wow. This is a ga'damn greek tragedy." ---Rockhound

#20 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

Um, Saul, taking a winger here, but people with Tourette's probably don't get hired as on air announcers much.  ;)

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, MLK, Racial slur, Weatherman, KTNV-TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users