64 replies to this topic

#21 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:14 PM

Um... okay...

I have never seen an episode of Spongebob and I never intend to. He's about as much my icon as Barney the dinosaur is. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#22 Guldorak

Guldorak
  • Islander
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

From what I read they completely distorted the meaning of  some video that the sponge appeared in to reach that conclusion.

#23 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:05 PM

Well, I've heard that Teletubbies is a favorite among stoners over on the other side of the pond.   Something about the program appeals to you when you're baked.   :lol:

As for the wingnuts targeting Spongebob, I'm not exactly surprised.  

Here's a new nickname for Dr. James Dobson, care of James Wolcott.   :devil:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#24 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

Duh.  Everyone knows that Squidward is the gay character on Spongebob, especially given Spongebob's affection for Sandy Cheeks.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#25 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

MuseZack, on Jan 22 2005, 09:21 PM, said:

Duh.  Everyone knows that Squidward is the gay character on Spongebob, especially given Spongebob's affection for Sandy Cheeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pfffffft.  Sandy is just Spongebob's beard.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#26 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

My Steelers are getting their butts whupped, so I decided to take a break from the game and distract myself online. I found this, which made me laugh--even as the Steelers suck:

http://www.realityba..._frog_on_d.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

So who's next on the hit list, Boohbah? :D

http://www.boohbah.com/

:eek4:  :eek4:  :eek4:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:05 PM

Call Me Robin, on Jan 22 2005, 01:26 PM, said:

MuseZack, on Jan 22 2005, 09:21 PM, said:

Duh.  Everyone knows that Squidward is the gay character on Spongebob, especially given Spongebob's affection for Sandy Cheeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pfffffft.  Sandy is just Spongebob's beard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quit already, you two! You just made me snort Diet Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard. :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#29 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:21 AM

DWF said:

:eek4:  :eek4:  :eek4:

The Boohbah's are too stoned to have any sexual inclinations whatsoever. :p

#30 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,213 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

I wish I had paid better attention to Hannity & Combs last week. Dr. Dobson was on there and he says he never attacked Spongebob. Both Hannity and Combs agreed with him after reading what he had really said. I just don't have specifics. Sorry, I was at the computer and only half heard part of it.

#31 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:05 PM

So, this must be why SpongeBob and Patrick cheer when David Hasselhoff introduces himself to them? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, kids do not learn to become gay/lesbian, so the cartoon could at most, teach them tolerance. Isn't that just terrible.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#32 Redshirt #24

Redshirt #24

Bill the Redshirt

• Islander
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:31 PM

Kevin Street, on Jan 24 2005, 08:21 AM, said:

DWF said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way.  Whatever they're on, it's far too powerful to be just weed.  :D

#33 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

So, this must be why SpongeBob and Patrick cheer when David Hasselhoff introduces himself to them? 

That's the most damning evidence I've seen against Bob yet!!
Can't Touch This!!

#34 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thank gppdness they never noticed that Timon and Pumbaa were a male couple raising a child. :eek2:
Posted Image

#35 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

Kevin Street, on Jan 24 2005, 03:21 AM, said:

DWF said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That what people thought about Keith Richards too. :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#36 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:07 AM

waterpanther, on Jan 25 2005, 01:16 AM, said:

Thank gppdness they never noticed that Timon and Pumbaa were a male couple raising a child. :eek2:

:Oo: :blink:  :dontgetit:  :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#37 JchaosRS

JchaosRS

Ordered Chaos

• Islander
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

It would be nice if these groups could focus on more important issues facing society.

Edited by Rommies Slave, 25 January 2005 - 01:14 PM.

Will be eternally Rommie's Slave
Jays Music Videos | Jeremy Farnum | LexaFans

#38 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,213 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:18 PM

Well, I did think that family was very important (and I still do), but after reading several threads in OT and seeing how people seem to feel about families vs single parents, I can see why we have the attitude in society we do.It seems like the youger generations now feel that children do better without a complete family.

I fear for our family structure now more than ever. :(

Edited by Lover of Purple, 25 January 2005 - 01:18 PM.

#39 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

Well, I did think that family was very important (and I still do), but after reading several threads in OT and seeing how people seem to feel about families vs single parents, I can see why we have the attitude in society we do.It seems like the youger generations now feel that children do better without a complete family.

Actually, I think the best argument for gay marriage is that it puts the children who are being raised in gay families on the same legal footing as those raised in straight ones. And there are many children being raised by gay/lesbian parents, couples who simply want to make the same legal commitment to a stable relationship as do their straight counterparts.

It's amazing to me that people's desire to enter into the institution of marriage is perceived by folks like Dobson as a threat to marriage. Makes no sense.

As to single-parents vs couples, I think the best situation is for a child to have two, healthy parents--gay or straight--mainly because childrearing is a tough job. But if one of the parents is a jerk, the child and the other parent may be better off without him/her. Growing up with one of your parents being a self-centered, emotionally immature, abusive and/or controlling drain on the family is not necessarily preferrable to growing up with one, responsible and loving parent.
So it all kinda depends....
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#40 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:31 AM

Steven_Q, on Jan 25 2005, 07:07 AM, said:

waterpanther, on Jan 25 2005, 01:16 AM, said:

:Oo: :blink:  :dontgetit:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:eek4:  I agree!  ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, Spongebob squarepants, Conservatives, Homosexual

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users