Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

United in Prayer - Add Your Prayer Requests

• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:16 AM

This message is reprinted with some small edits, from Planet Baha'i, where we have been maintaining this  effort since December 2003. The link is here: http://forums.delphi...ges?msg=4522.21

"We invite you  to participate in a concentrated prayer effort in which people all over the world will be setting aside about 1/2 hour or more once a week to pray together for those requesting prayers. This endeavor takes place each Friday, to accommodate our vast array of busy lives. We are asking that you take time between the hours of 12 noon and 12 midnight (local time) every Friday, to join in prayer.

This will be an ongoing effort. It would be ideal to participate weekly, but feel free to join us any time you are able. Also please extend this invitation to others you think might be interested. Our objective is that it will continue to grow indefinitely.

I believe the power of prayer can have a tremendous effect. Regardless of what Faith community you belong to, we all pray to the same God and can be united in that knowledge. This started as a Baha'i initiative but it is open to people of all Faiths who wish to participate. Feel free to say any prayers you choose. The Rosary, Our Father, any repetitive mantra of your choosing, Dhikr, or Pater Nostra or Om Mani Padme Hum (the Baha'i's who are participating will be saying 1 Tablet of Ahmad and 95 Remover of Difficulties). We can pray for our personal intentions, our prayer lists, each other, our leaders, our oppressors, etc. with the knowledge that God and the concourse on high will assist us in our endeavors. If we can expand this effort, extending farther and farther around the planet, united in our love for God and our desire to make the world a better place, I believe we will feel the impact of our efforts.

"As ye have faith, so shall your powers and blessings be."
-Abdu'l-Baha

We would love for you to join us in this endeavor if you are able.  Also, feel free to list any prayer requests you may have so that we can all support one another with prayer.

One of the Planet Baha'i members shares this story each week, and I am highlighting it for reflection.  This is actually from a talk given by the Hand of the Cause of God Abu’l-Qásim Faizí. A transcript of the talk is available at www.bahai-library.org. Here is the story:

“...What do we pray? The Báb says that when we pray, what do we take to God, what do we talk to Him about, what do we offer Him? Do you offer your knowledge? He is the source of knowledge. Do you offer Him your wealth? Do you offer Him your strength, the strength of body or mental strength? All those things are not even worthy of being mentioned in the sight of God.

Therefore, why do we pray? The Báb says that He will give an example. Suppose you want to go and visit a king. You will go here and there and ask many people what is it that the king does not have in his treasury, because you would like to take it as a gift to him. If someone says that you can take a moonstone from Australia because he does not have it, then you will take it to him.

Now if you take all the treasures of the world, God has them; all of the knowledge of the world. He is the source of it; strength, He is the source of power. But as the Báb says, and as I advise and tell you, there is one thing that God does not have in His treasure house, and that is nothingness. Take your nothingness to Him. When you sit down in front of Him and pray, have an attitude that you are nothing as compared with God. You take that attitude, and He says that this will immediately be acceptable.”

Edited by QueenTiye, 23 September 2005 - 03:58 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

I think this is an excellent idea, HM! Thanks for it.  

Our yoga studio has started a regular healing circle once a month where several regulars and anyone else comes and we chant mantra for those who come and sit in our circle.  It's mostly literally physical healing but I suspect all kinds of requests are made during the time we're there.  We get about 20-25 people each month and we do take prayer requests, too.

Oh yes, the mantras we use are Om and the Gayatri mantra, known to Hindus and yogis. Gayatri  (pronounced, I think, guy-'yay-tree, stress on the yay syllable) known particularly for healing physically.

Edited by shambalayogi, 04 February 2005 - 11:42 AM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for that!  

Indeed, that's the kind of prayer we are actually encouraging (chanted/repeated prayers), although there's no hard and fast rule. :)

I'm putting in a prayer request for Ex Isle - that it continues to be a beacon of friendship and harmony.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

I always include ExIsle with my other net boards and lists in my own prayers.  I'm better about doing this since I actually have a prayer bowl with names and issues written on them.  I have an altar of things that mean a great deal to me personally at home and I try to light a candle there once a day and say prayer then.  Not that I haven't prayed all my life and believed in it but I'm more regular with it.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

bump! :)

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

bump for 2/11/05

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

i like this idea, HM!  very nice!

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

Bumping for tomorrow.

Also, I'm putting myself on the prayer list.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:54 PM

An update... my son is taking a test to enter a gifted and talented program.  He's had very little preparation for this test, and I'm distressed about it. I'm praying for his success both in the application process and the testing process, and for him to excel in the new academic environment.  The application is due March 1, the test (if his application is accepted) is on March 12.  If anyone wishes to join me in prayer I will be so very appreciative!

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:21 AM

First: A synopsis of what this thread is about, taken from the first post...

Handmaiden07, on Feb 4 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

"We invite you  to participate in a concentrated prayer effort in which people all over the world will be setting aside about 1/2 hour or more once a week to pray together for those requesting prayers. This endeavor takes place each Friday, to accommodate our vast array of busy lives. We are asking that you take time between the hours of 12 noon and 12 midnight (local time) every Friday, to join in prayer.

This will be an ongoing effort. It would be ideal to participate weekly, but feel free to join us any time you are able. Also please extend this invitation to others you think might be interested. Our objective is that it will continue to grow indefinitely.

I believe the power of prayer can have a tremendous effect. Regardless of what Faith community you belong to, we all pray to the same God and can be united in that knowledge. This started as a Baha'i initiative but it is open to people of all Faiths who wish to participate. Feel free to say any prayers you choose. The Rosary, Our Father, any repetitive mantra of your choosing, Dhikr, or Pater Nostra or Om Mani Padme Hum (the Baha'i's who are participating will be saying 1 Tablet of Ahmad and 95 Remover of Difficulties). We can pray for our personal intentions, our prayer lists, each other, our leaders, our oppressors, etc. with the knowledge that God and the concourse on high will assist us in our endeavors. If we can expand this effort, extending farther and farther around the planet, united in our love for God and our desire to make the world a better place, I believe we will feel the impact of our efforts.

"As ye have faith, so shall your powers and blessings be."
-Abdu'l-Baha

We would love for you to join us in this endeavor if you are able.  Also, feel free to list any prayer requests you may have so that we can all support one another with prayer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Handmaiden07, 04 March 2005 - 09:21 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

This week, we have numerous prayer requests from Ex Islers... I hope we will all support one another in prayer...

Prayers for the following Ex Islers:

G1223 says: said:

Well let me tell you guys I have the sort of luck that just really is interesting.

This week we discovered that Dad is suffering from a progressing dementia.

Today My brother had a flat tire and we need to take the tire to the shop tomorrow and get it fixed. So I loaned him the Van and he has somehow caused a fire to have damaged the wiring.

So I can only say I just wondering what I will be getting in compensation for this pain. Becasue Lord above I feel you must have been really bored and wonder what you can do to me.

BTW Lord if this is one of those deals like Job do me a favor and put five down on me so I can get some of the action.

Thanks.

Darkside1 says: said:

I just received some sad news from my dad regarding my Aunt's Father, Ralph McDougall. Based on what I've heard, Ralph was on his way home from a cruise vacation when he passed away in his cabin on the ship. My Aunt Laura and her husband Denis were at the airport to pick him up, when he didn't show up on the return flight. News on this is still sketchy as I've learned very little details from my dad on this. ...
Please keep my Aunt's family in your prayers for me...

A Karas says: said:

Sorry of my absense these past few weeks. The least I could do is explain. The truth is, real life finally managed to knock me down on my a$$, and it's left me with a lot to think about.Unfortuneately, I still am left with no answers, and no work. I've been just so damned depressed with everything in my life.

Gaiate says: said:

CHICAGO - A federal judge who was once the target of a failed murder plot by a white supremacist was under marshals’ protection Tuesday after the shooting deaths of her husband and 89-year-old mother, and investigators were looking into possible connections to hate groups, among other leads.

U.S. District Judge Joan Humphrey Lefkow found the bodies of Michael F. Lefkow, 65, and her mother, Donna Humphrey, 89, when she returned home from work Monday evening, according to authorities and friends.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7048415/

Judge Lefkow and her family are friends of my family.

I don't think I can adequately express how I feel about this.

Please, send whatever good thoughts and prayers you can spare to the Lefkows.

--Te

Handmaiden07 says: said:

Another update... my son is taking a test to enter a gifted and talented program.  He's had very little preparation for this test, and I'm distressed about it. Thanks to all who joined in prayers for his success with his application - he's scheduled for the test on March 12.  I'm praying now for his success on the test, and for him to excel in the new academic environment.  If anyone wishes to join me in prayer I will be so very appreciative!

HM07

Feel free to post additional requests below.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Prayers for Chaddee to continue to successfully transition past the horror of an apartment fire, and to recover a sense of normalcy....

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:46 AM

I'm late for this one, so let it be early for the next one. I don't generally ask anyone to do this for me, but have such a case of what Zen practitioners call "monkey mind", I can't seem to settle my mind down enough to do it for myself, so... just keep me in mind while you do it. It's work-related garbage giving me stress, and a mood that keeps crashing with great force (partly due to work)...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#14 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:52 PM

Handmaiden07, on Mar 4 2005, 10:22 AM, said:

This week, we have numerous prayer requests from Ex Islers... I hope we will all support one another in prayer...

Prayers for the following Ex Islers:

Darkside1 says: said:

I just received some sad news from my dad regarding my Aunt's Father, Ralph McDougall. Based on what I've heard, Ralph was on his way home from a cruise vacation when he passed away in his cabin on the ship. My Aunt Laura and her husband Denis were at the airport to pick him up, when he didn't show up on the return flight. News on this is still sketchy as I've learned very little details from my dad on this. ...
Please keep my Aunt's family in your prayers for me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again for the inclusiion to the prayer request.  I've also acknowledged you in my thread. :)  {{{{{{{{{{ Handmaiden07 }}}}}}}}}}

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:01 PM

Darkside_1, on Mar 5 2005, 10:52 PM, said:

Thanks again for the inclusiion to the prayer request.  I've also acknowledged you in my thread. :)  {{{{{{{{{{ Handmaiden07 }}}}}}}}}}

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I'm sorry!  I didn't see this before!  No thanks required! :) I think its a good thing for us to support one another this way... how is your family?  

All:  Feel free to post new requests or updates here...

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

Thanks All! I do appreciate it a lot ...and will do my utmost to return the favor!

BTW, i've heard now it will be end july at the earliest before i can go back....grrr..

Cheers
Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

That sucks, Chaddee :hugs:

I have a friend who has to have a hysterectomy, don't know when she's going in but keep her in mind, her name is Joy.

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

I rarely rarely post in the Beach (thanks for dragging me out here HM, I'm more of a OT person if anyone's noticed ;) )

I haven't prayed in years, and the last time I prayed it was just out of dispair, I wasn't praying to anyone/anything. So I don't know, if my praying would be considered acceptable to either others of religion or myself (I would consider it improper without religious/spiritual meaning behind it - though I am a spiritual person), but I'll definately send out good thoughts, or prays to the Universe in hopes they might be answsered.

Wow, I hope everyone's situations get better, or at least the burdened is lessened by sharing it with those close to you :(

HM invited me to add in my situation with my Step-Dad, though I'm not sure its really sure its a pray worthy cause, thought I suppose any situation is pray worthy if someone is looking for support :) From people's lips to God's ear.
(basically I'm trying to get him to quit smoking - indoors at least where he endangers four other people's health, though to quit completely would be great.... baby steps though).

What I'm scarred more of right now, is April 4th.... I get nausous just thinking about it.... I've never even had a cavity for the dentist to take care of.... and they are planning on pulling out all my three wisdoms that day.... after the dentist mentioned the risks/possible complications of oral surgery, I felt quite nausous.... I don't even like needles and they are going to have 6 in my mouth and an IV drip in my arm.... I'm shivering just thinking about it!
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 taizu14

taizu14

Bacic Rhadical

• Islander
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

I am asking for prayers on behalf of Jackie Brown, wife of Paul Brown who runs  Andromedaprops and more.

"Paul Brown's wife Jackie had an aneurism and fell into a coma early
sunday morning, if you remember he's the one who help raise all that
money for Katrina.

She is in intensive care, stable, but they sure could use all the prayers and positive thoughts that you and your wonderful friends can offer so if you could forward this story out and maybe just send some positive thoughts
Jackie's way and for Paul and his family they have 3 grown girls together

This happened on the day they were about to take down a display of about
13000 cans of food which his company was donating to the food bank, they
(his family) all work together, they're wonderful people let's pull together and
get her well

peace

steve bacic"

Edited by taizu14, 16 March 2005 - 09:27 PM.

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

Bumping for today!  Feel free to add requests, and please do read through the requests of fellow posters!

An update from me... Sunsport took his test, and felt confident about it  Thanks to all who sent prayers and good thoughts.  Now we just have to wait for the results!

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users