49 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:00 PM

***OOOF***

ERm, sorry, that silly closet Tyrant brother of mine is playing games again.

*Lil takes off and flies back to filks*

:hehe:

Posted Image

#22 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:02 PM

Runs into thread.

Excuse the interuption. Has anyone seen my silly sister around here?

Back to filks!!

I'll get you sis!!!!!!!!!!

Runs back out of thread, tripping over a picture of agreat aircraft carrier.

#23 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:16 PM

???

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#24 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 05:32 PM

Since this thread is off track, here are some photos that I've been sent. CJ AEGIS likes ships, but airplanes are my thing. One photo is of an F-18 going super, the other is a really unauthorized flyby of an F-14. At least they're Navy jets!

http://image1ex.vill...asp?id_=1476991
http://image1ex.vill...asp?id_=1476992

Geez, I hope this works!  :Oo:

Anna

#25 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 05:35 PM

that's incredible

the actual moment the plane goes supersonic

i've never seen anything like that

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#26 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 07:36 PM

Wow... very impressive pic of the jet going supersonic... and eeek @ Nimitz.  I wouldn't mind watching from a distance, but I certainly wouldn't want to be on it at the time... :eek: ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:41 PM

RPITA, on Feb. 01 2003,00:32, said:

:eek: WOW :eek: These are really cool pictures too, thanks for posting these as well. :cool:  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:03 AM

RPITA, on Jan. 31 2003,16:32, said:

Since this thread is off track, here are some photos that I've been sent. CJ AEGIS likes ships, but airplanes are my thing. One photo is of an F-18 going super, the other is a really unauthorized flyby of an F-14. At least they're Navy jets!
Those two pics are absolutley Awesome!!

Like Gode, I have never seen a picc of that exact instant, and it is fascinating to see the air itself 'give way'

It almost looks as if the plane is emerging from a mid air Star Gate

and the other..OH MY GOD...and I think it was worth it too!!

What and impressive fly by..I wonder who needed to pick them selves up off the deck after that..It looks as if he was really close.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#29 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:39 AM

CJ Aegis wrote:

This one was too good to not share.  You could call this how the Navy has fun with carriers or how to break every single piece of glassware as a 90,000 ton carrier skids around.  

http://www2.trettel....ives/nimitz.jpg

Oooo, I want one of those! :o

Waycool picture, CJ!

A Karas wrote:

The best spot to me would be standing on the flight deck when this happens :)

You'd stand on the deck when that monster tips over???  :oh: Wow...

RPITA wrote:

Since this thread is off track, here are some photos that I've been sent. CJ AEGIS likes ships, but airplanes are my thing. One photo is of an F- 18 going super, the other is a really unauthorized flyby of an F-14. At least they're Navy jets!

http://image1ex.vill...asp?id_=1476991

Awww yeah! Seriously :cool: !

:crazy: !

Man, it's brown trouser time for those guys!  :hehe:

Per aspera ad astra

#30 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:41 AM

RPITA: the other is a really unauthorized flyby of an F-14

I’ve seen a nice one of a F/A-18 on video going mach on a flyby past the flight deck.

The flyby by the F-14 is a total Photoshop job and bears all the classic signs of being tampered with.  That one has been floating around for a few years and has tripped up a lot of people.  If you look at the area around the F-14 you’ll see some “funky” pixelation.    

Godeskian : and a testament to naval engineering that a ship the size ofthe Nimitz can do something like that

Supertankers use a similar variant of the maneuver if they have to take serious evasive actions.  Though I’ve never seen an image of one doing it.    

A Karas: see equipment on deck, but no planes (for obvious reasone)

That was the interesting part.  The tilly for some reason isn’t fastened down securely next to the island like I would expect it to be.  I assumed it has some tie downs on it or the captain was asking why it wasn’t tied to the island a few seconds after this picture was taken.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#31 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:57 AM

Now anyone care to guess what this maneuver is for?  

1) Disco night!
2) Ran out of 100% Columbian coffee.
3) Fleet bowling tournament: the Admiral has a legendarily bad hook.
4) Jealous of those cool NASA zero G videos
5) Evading floating whale poo. [Ambergris]
6) Splashing that other CVN you secretly have a crush on.
7) Ship isn't maneuvering. Marlon Brando is on goodwill visit.
8) Steam catapult dead? Emergency Deck catapult maneuver!
9) Captain! SI bikini shoot detected at heading 090!
10) And you thought the DoD was bad at balancing *budgets*
11) B7... E3 ... You sunk my battleship!
12) When the ship's a-rockin', don't come knockin'
13) Not only is there a Divine, but He has a sense of humor.
14) Writing dirty messages only visible from space
15) When I say "All hands on deck", I mean "All hands on deck!"
16) First off, quit yelling 'Skipper!" Second, what do you mean  we ran over your "uncharted desert isle"?
17) Secret experiment in chaotic mathematics: if the flap of a butterfly's wing in Monterrey can create a blizzard in Chicago,  a 100,000 ton CVN should be able to trigger the nude musical ep of Andromeda that the engineering crew has been demanding since they decided the show was about to...
18) ...Jump the shark! Jump the shark! Jump the shark!...
19) I don't know why, Senator Stevens [Chairman, Senate Appropriations Cmte], but they all seem to do this. It'd take $100 million a pop to fix 'em -- but where could we find *that* kind of money?
20) Wave off! Wave off! -- no, not you, helmsman! The fighter!

#32 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:11 AM

Orph!!!

ROTFLMAO

Boy I needed the laugh!!

:hehe:  :hehe:  :hehe:  :hehe:  :hehe:

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#33 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:44 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Feb. 01 2003,07:41, said:

The flyby by the F-14 is a total Photoshop job and bears all the classic signs of being tampered with.  That one has been floating around for a few years and has tripped up a lot of people.  If you look at the area around the F-14 you’ll see some “funky” pixelation.
Dang! I liked that picture, too. It was fun.  :p

Anna

#34 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:44 AM

:D

thanks Orpheus, that laugh i needed

Defy Gravity!

#35 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:24 PM

India! Pakistan! Quit squabbling. DO NOT make me pull this carrier over. I'll do it too! I swear I will!

#36 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:42 PM

Orpheus thank you again for the smiles.

ER...that avatar looks familiar.....anyone I know?

:)

Posted Image

#37 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:48 PM

lol

pulling a carrier over indeed

and who is your av Orpheus? i don't recognise him

Defy Gravity!

#38 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,864 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

I dunno if it's someone you know. Why? Is it someone you'd *want* to know?

#39 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:14 PM

Well, somebody certainly has a screw loose. :laugh:

Note to Andi: Perhaps you should restart the "They Said What?" game. ;)

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#40 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:22 PM

RPITA, on Feb. 01 2003,16:44, said:

Dang! I liked that picture, too. It was fun.  :p
There is a nice real video though of a F/A-18 doing a supersonic flyby of a carrier at fairly close range.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, Navy, USS Nimitz, Emergency Turn

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users