• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:25 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Feb. 01 2003,07:41, said:

Iíve seen a nice one of a F/A-18 on video going mach on a flyby past the flight deck.
A friend of mine was on the Stennis when the pilot did that. The Captain was mad as hell.

Here's one you'll like in the 'just how gullible can anyone be' category.

Ark Royal (the predecessor to the current one) was in the yard being refitted and tests were being carried out on the steam catapult. In order to test them you have steam catapult test pieces (basically a big lump of metail) which you fire and you can work out trajectories and velocities etc. An announcement went out through the ship that they were looking for a 'steam-catapult test-unit pilot' and they got a message from some lowly ME in the engine room who must have thought it a great opportunity to get some fresh air.

They (who shall not be named) †brought him up from the engine room, then told him that he'd need a physical to make sure he was healthy enough, so they headed for sickbay where he spent the whole of the next 3 days being poked and prodded by a doctor and eventually was given the all clear. The day after that they got him suited up in full flight gear, took him to the pilot's brieing room and explained to him what was involved, that he'd have to sit on this lump of metal while it got fired off the end of the carrier.

Then they went up to the flight deck, and there was this test piece set in position, with an ordinary wooden chair masking taped to it (at this point you'd think he'd have smelled a rat) and then they showed him what would happen, they triggered the catapult and this lump of metal went flying,literally, off the end of the ship and landed in the sea with a huge eruption of spray but the guy was still up for it.

He subsequently spent another 3 days in sickbay coughing up riverbed and he still didn't realise it was just a practical joke.

Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 03:31 AM

:laugh:

ah the navy, truly the best and brightest amongst us

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#43 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:49 PM

USS John C. Stennis in an emergency turn

When I saw this photo I was reminded of this thread so decided to to post it here rather than a new one.

Here is a copy of the orginal since the other link is down.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#44 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

They all come up as "forbidden" for me. :(

Maybe you can attach them instead of linking?

#45 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

^
http://www.navsource...s/02/027440.jpg
http://www.navsource...s/02/026824.jpg

Copy and paste them right into the browser.  That should work.  If it doesn't then Plan B. ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#46 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

Copy and paste works great. :) Cool pictures, too. :cool:

Man, I wouldn't want to be drinking coffee when the captain orders that kind of turn. :p
Per aspera ad astra

#47 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

^Most of the sailors I've met pride themselves on their ability to stand up in a rowboat in a hurricane and not spill a drop of their coffee. ;)
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#48 Fire_Storm20

Fire_Storm20

I love the smell of napalm in the moring...

• Islander
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:14 PM

Meh, just another emergency turn.  We do them all the time on my ship when we are out.  The Williamson Turn is mainly used to go on a reciprocal heading to pick up MOB's (Men Overboards).  Our humble 547 foot ship can heel over twenty degrees and still maintain 20 knots out of a maximum 25 throughout.   We can even cheat a little and hit the bowthuster to turn her really fast.   :cool:

#49 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

Yow!  Great pictures!   :o

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#50 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:30 AM

Very impressive!
Thanks for the pics. :eek4:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, Navy, USS Nimitz, Emergency Turn

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users