• 1,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:31 PM

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 0.4

MOBILITY 0.5

SHELTER 0.5

GOODS/SERVICES 0.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.2

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.2 PLANETS.

I can live with that :D   Although, I know full well it would have been much higher had I taken this quiz before I moved to the city.

Apparently, you don't need perfect answers to get a 1.0, because when I tried it without including any overseas trips I've made, that's what I got, even though I do have electricity and running water in my apartment.

I just wanted to see what impact the trip had on my score, seeing as I flew to Africa where I built huts and school houses (it seems that's the only reason I'm not a model citizen of the Earth :p ).

Even though it gave me a good score, I'm thinking this quiz is pretty bogus.  I don't see how the country you live in should matter, except in the ways that it affects the other questions.  Gender and age should not have anything to do with it.

Now I'm curious, though.  I'm going to have to take it as a US citizen and see if it comes out any different.
Not knowing where the rock came from DOESN'T MAKE IT CHEESE.
--Kissing Hank's [Butt]

#62 Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Fallen... and I can't get up

• Islander
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 1.7

MOBILITY 0.5

SHELTER 1.2

GOODS/SERVICES 1.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.1 PLANETS.

Hmm... at first, I thought my score was higher, because my total footprint was 5, as opposed to 2.2, but then I realized they are different units of measure, and I'm not even going to try to convert.

Apparently, I would be slightly more environmentally friendly if I moved south of the border??

I have to attribute this to a problem in imperial/metric conversion again.  The difference was the dwelling size question.  I live in a small apartment.  More than 50 square metres, but less than 500 square feet.  It was therefore the second smallest option on the Canadian version, but the smallest on the American.

Perhaps they didn't realize that 50 m is closer to 150' than 500'?

Um... now I'm getting scared I misread a question and am making an idiot of myself.  Oh well, feel free to set me straight :look:
Not knowing where the rock came from DOESN'T MAKE IT CHEESE.
--Kissing Hank's [Butt]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Quiz, Carbon footprint, Climate Change, Science

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users