John Kerry Iraq

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:17 PM

Hmmmmmm... Interesting, might have put his foot in his mouth with the exact wording IMO, but interesting...

thoughts?

Sen. Kerry calls for Regime Change

D'

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:25 PM

Wow the morden version of Janus,the two faced God. God of Doorways and Clintons and I guess Sen. Kerry.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Kahoutek

Kahoutek

Space Otter

• Islander
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:03 PM

Talk about idiotic comments ...

This senator is demonstrating why Americans treat politicians and elections like TV shows -- pick one (or not) based on symbol usage and emotional appeal.

I would love to have an hour to talk with him about what he defines as a "regime"!  One of the basic properities of the American governing system is that a "regime" is almost impossible to develop; a regime can happen only when a person or small group of people maintain and expand their power over an extended period of time.

If American did really have a regime, Sen Kerry would fear having his tongue cutout for making a treasonous remark.  As it is, Sen Kerry only has to worry about his brain coming back on line at some point.

Kahoutek :wideeyed:

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

One can only hope this was logged to hang him with in the future...
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:11 PM

Eh.  Kerry's not my favorite Massachusetts politician (come to think of it, there have few enough Mass. politicians I even really liked), but I don't see the problem with him saying something that non-candidates have been saying with impunity.

Heck, didn't Harrison Ford give a similar statement, a couple of weeks ago?  Nobody's talking about impeaching Jack Ryan... ;) :p

#6 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:15 PM

Kahoutek, on Apr 4 2003, 09:52 AM, said:

As it is, Sen Kerry only has to worry about his brain coming back on line at some point.
Well, THERE'S a thought that boggles the mind! :lol:

Thanks, Kahoutek, you made me giggle this morning.

I think I heard on TV last night that Kerry has said this previously, before the war started. I guess he didn't think those words were ill-chosen after the shootin' starts...

Methinks he can kiss his Presidential bid goodbye. But we'll see how silly the "Democratic Presidential Food Fight" ™ gets before making final judgement. In the meantime, it's good sport. :p

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:24 PM

But whatever the motivation for Kerry's comments, House Speaker Dennis Hastert refused to sit back and take them. He issued remarks Thursday, calling Kerry's comments misplaced during this time of war.

"Once this war is over, there will be plenty of time for the next election. But the war is not yet over, and we still have much work to do to rid the world of Saddam Hussein and his brutal regime," Hastert said in a statement.

"Sen. Kerry's remark, equating regime change in Iraq with regime change in the United States, is not what we need at this time. What we need is for this nation to pull together, to support our troops and to support our commander-in-chief."

Yet another person equating a lack of support for Dubbaya and his little War to anti patriotism.

Right, that's EXACTLY what we need.

Not.

So Kerry could have worded it a bit different.  Big deal.  He is entitled to OPPOSE what Bush is doing.  If that right is suddenly in question then maybe his use of the word "regime" was not so out of left field after all was it.
Posted Image

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:28 PM

Oh my God!  A man who's running for President actually criticizes the man he's running against!  Oh, the humanity!

Once again, the Fox News/talk radio spin machine takes RNC talking points and uses them to smear a Democratic politician.  In this case, a bona fide war hero.  

Here's the press release from GOPTEAMLEADER:

Dear XXX,

Yesterday, John Kerry shocked many Americans when he called for "regime change" right here in the U.S. By comparing our commander-in-chief to Saddam Hussein's brutal regime at a time of war, Kerry showed just what he is willing to say to appeal to liberal Democrat primary voters.

RNC, Chairman Marc Racicot quickly responded saying, "Senator Kerry crossed a grave line when he dared to suggest the replacement of America's commander-in- chief at a time when America is at war. Critical analysis offered in the best interests of the country is part of a healthy democracy. But this use of self- serving rhetoric designed to further Senator Kerry's political ambitions at a time when the lives of America's sons and daughters are at stake reflects a complete lack of judgment."

Here's the response from the Kerry camp:

"Clearly, Senator Kerry intended no disrespect or lack of support for our commander in chief during wartime, but the point of this campaign is, obviously, to change the administration of this government," said Kerry spokesman Robert Gibbs. "And unlike many of his Republican critics, Senator Kerry has worn the uniform, served his country, seen combat, so he'd just as soon skip their lectures about supporting our troops."

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:31 PM

MuseZack, on Apr 4 2003, 05:17 PM, said:

Oh my God!  A man who's running for President actually criticizes the man he's running against!  Oh, the humanity!
Shocking.  And SO Un American.

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, it's just election rhetoric, though badly-worded (idiotically implying a moral equivalency between these two "regimes") and badly-timed. Sen. Kerry is only harming himself.

Shoot, is election year so close? Seems like we just chased all these clowns out of the county, and now they're preparing to return already. Poor New Hampshire.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:46 PM

Oh my God!  A man who's running for President actually criticizes the man he's running against!  Oh, the humanity!

Once again, the Fox News/talk radio spin machine takes RNC talking points and uses them to smear a Democratic politician.  In this case, a bona fide war hero. 

Here's the press release from GOPTEAMLEADER:

Dear XXX,

Yesterday, John Kerry shocked many Americans when he called for "regime change" right here in the U.S. By comparing our commander-in-chief to Saddam Hussein's brutal regime at a time of war, Kerry showed just what he is willing to say to appeal to liberal Democrat primary voters.

RNC, Chairman Marc Racicot quickly responded saying, "Senator Kerry crossed a grave line when he dared to suggest the replacement of America's commander-in- chief at a time when America is at war. Critical analysis offered in the best interests of the country is part of a healthy democracy. But this use of self- serving rhetoric designed to further Senator Kerry's political ambitions at a time when the lives of America's sons and daughters are at stake reflects a complete lack of judgment."

Here's the response from the Kerry camp:

"Clearly, Senator Kerry intended no disrespect or lack of support for our commander in chief during wartime, but the point of this campaign is, obviously, to change the administration of this government," said Kerry spokesman Robert Gibbs. "And unlike many of his Republican critics, Senator Kerry has worn the uniform, served his country, seen combat, so he'd just as soon skip their lectures about supporting our troops."

Zack
No of course he has not disrespect for these people yet he says things that casue feeling of disrespect but he's a democrat so that is ok.

Where if he's a republican he needs to drawn and quareted by the Democrates whatever groups want to feel offended and then the totally unbiased press(Yeah Right)  taking turns at the wheel on the rack.

Kerry's Military service is why I supported him.  But maybe he needs a refresher of what the folks he's slamming look like they will remember him in the polls

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#12 JustMe

JustMe

What a spectacle.

• Islander
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:47 PM

What bothered me was the swing of his POV.  From: "Just a day prior to the war, Kerry, a Vietnam veteran, told the International Association of Firefighters that it was time to leave international diplomacy behind and get behind the troops." To equating the President with Hussain.  It just made his later statements lack credence, to me anyway.

Edited by JustMe, 04 April 2003 - 08:47 PM.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:47 PM

Drew, on Apr 4 2003, 05:32 PM, said:

Yeah, it's just election rhetoric, though badly-worded (idiotically implying a moral equivalency between these two "regimes") and badly-timed. Sen. Kerry is only harming himself.

Shoot, is election year so close? Seems like we just chased all these clowns out of the county, and now they're preparing to return already. Poor New Hampshire.
Well Alec Balbwin never left. (pity)

TANSTAAFL

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:50 PM

Hey if he's contradicting himself I'm sure someone will make hay of it.

But the Speaker's reaction to it is appalling.

The cornerstone of this nation is the right to oppose what those in charge are doing and it really bothers me that so many people are using this war to try and undermine that concept.
Posted Image

#15 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:50 PM

Once again, the Fox News/talk radio spin machine takes RNC talking points and uses them to smear a Democratic politician.  In this case, a bona fide war hero. 
I'm pleased to report, even paying for the expanded channel selection of their digital cable service, Comcast Cable's Detroit lineup doesn't include the Fox News Channel.

It's also amusing how CNN caught the Fox News Channel stealing their video feed during the Columbia tragedy by flashing the CNN logo. :D

So many news channels, so little need for Fox News...

Banapis

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:02 PM

G1223, on Apr 4 2003, 05:35 PM, said:

No of course he has not disrespect for these people yet he says things that casue feeling of disrespect but he's a democrat so that is ok.

Where if he's a republican he needs to drawn and quareted by the Democrates whatever groups want to feel offended and then the totally unbiased press(Yeah Right)  taking turns at the wheel on the rack.

Kerry's Military service is why I supported him.  But maybe he needs a refresher of what the folks he's slamming look like they will remember him in the polls
Okay, this has been increasingly bugging me.

I want you to step back and listen to me for a sec okay?

It is obvious to me that you have very very strong feelings about this and I respect that.  It is obvious to me that you support this War, Bush, and our troops.  While I disagree with you about the War and Bush I respect your opinion.  And I support our troops.

Gordon can you please please try to stop equating opposition to Bush and the War to a lack of support for the troops or to a lack of patriotism?  It is simply not the case.  I DO NOT support the War or Bush.  Do you think I'm un American? Do you think I don't support our troops?

Kerry did not in any way say anything that was unsupportive of either this country or of the troops.  He expressed an opinion about Bush and his administration.  Yes the word "regime" was loaded but I suppose that's political posturing and rhetoric for you.  

I can't MAKE you feel something but I've got to remind you, as your friend, that each and every time you make a comment to the effect that you equate opposition to this War or the Bush administration to being anti American or not supporting the troops, you are personally insulting ME because *I* virulently am ANTI this War and ANTI Bush.
Posted Image

#17 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:07 PM

BTW, here's a great political analysis article at http://abcnews.go.co...US/TheNote.html  that demonstrates exactly how the GOP to Fox/Drudge/Rush attack machine works, using this particular case as an example.

And the rank hypocricy of these people beating up on Sen. Kerry and Daschle for criticizing a president during wartime is just rich, given the behavior shown by Lott, DeLay and company before, during, and after the Kosovo war.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#18 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:21 PM

Politics are dirty, period.

My problem with Kerry speaking out in this manner at this time? He pledged not to do this while the war was going on. Now he's just shown me that he is NOT a man of his word. But then, what politician is?

As to the "the GOP to Fox/Drudge/Rush attack machine" is no worse or better than the "DNC to Washington Post to Hillary to ABC/NBC/CBS,etc machine".

As Americans, we are free to speak out and state out views. Sen. Kerry can saw whatever the hell he wants. I wouldn't vote for him on a bet - before or after his comments. But at least he can sleep well, knowing his tongue won't be cut out for speaking his mind.

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:26 PM

Well then I guess I should just leave it at as Kerry is a either a bottom dewelling scum sucker that would even make a catfish ill ,or typical of his party. Saying one thing and then spin the other so they can be seen as fair and understanding.  

Didn't we have this done with our show by Tribune and discover that it was nasty to do. Sorry but I think I would actully support anyone who said exactly what they thought and stood by it. I know Bush is the same way but I disliked the other guy even more.

TANSTAAFL

#20 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:36 PM

MuseZack, on Apr 4 2003, 09:17 AM, said:

:p :p

I happen to agree with him - Dubya scares the hell out of me. Plus, at least Kerry has fought for his country, which is more than I can say for the Prez.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Kerry, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users