21 replies to this topic

#1 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:53 PM

Marines taste defeat on football pitch

UK military forces may be making strides on the battlefield in Iraq, but it was a different story on the soccer pitch for 11 Royal Marines.

The British soldiers suffered defeat on the dusty streets of Umm Khayyal, when they took on the local football team.

A thousand spectators came from all ends of the town to watch the match, with the players wearing full strip, boots and squad numbers.

The home side was rallied to a 9-3 victory by throngs of screaming men and children, who marked out the boundaries of the pitch.

In the face of such passion, Leading Airman Dave Husbands said the Marines were beaten from the start.

"We turned up to play and there was no one around, just a few kids messing about," he said.

"Then suddenly, out of nowhere, came this kitted-up football team together with a referee and two linesmen.

"The boys thought they must be the Iraqi international side or something. In truth, they thrashed us."

Children chanted

Amid a dusty old market square, 11 of 42 Commando's K Company's finest struggled to gain supremacy in stiflingly hot conditions.

There were no jumpers for goalposts here - even the referee had a whistle and cards in his pocket, two linesmen proudly carried flags.

Hundreds of children chanted, some sporting the red shirts of Manchester United or Arsenal, carrying playing card pictures of David Beckham and David Seaman.

Behind the "pitch" were old defensive military positions, trenches used two weeks ago by the Iraqi army.

By Wednesday they had become dug outs, sand pits for children to play in.

'Mister Beckham'

The Marines' game plan could be described as a game of hustle, bustle and long ball.

While the Umm Khayyal XI made merry, skipping around the robust tackles and passing the ball around with glee.

As the Marines shook the dust from the hair, the throngs of men and children on the sidelines grew as news filtered through the town of the Iraqi triumph.

Locals came by foot, on bicycles and pedal-carts.

Football is their passion and, needless to say, "Mister Beckham", Manchester United's star midfielder, is their man.

Rematch?

"Beckham is best, Beckham is best!" shouted Mohammad, a 21-year-old spectator.

"You need him," replied his friend, pointing to the pitch. "You lose bad."

Meanwhile, the commander of the unit, Lieutenant Colonel Buster Howes, attempted to be magnanimous in defeat.

"We want a rematch," he said with a smile.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/2915451.stm

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 25 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#2 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:39 PM

:blink:

LOL?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:40 PM

Football, the REAL international language. :)

Except in the States where we call it "soccer", but that's just a dialect. Same language.  ;)

Ro

#4 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:50 PM

Ro-Astarte, on Apr 4 2003, 03:29 PM, said:

Football, the REAL international language. :)

Except in the States where we call it "soccer", but that's just a dialect. Same language.  ;)

Ro
Not the same thing. We really don't know that much about Football/Soccer,. There are places that play the game, there have been some Pro leagues formed, but most have failed. I don't think it will ever be as big here as uit is in the rest of the world, but atr least there are Soccer leagues for kids, so maybe in another 20 or 30 years...

That's a great story. Things like that may help the healing process for Iraqis. I wish we did play.

:wideeyed:  < "Goooaaaallll!!!!!!!!"
Can't Touch This!!

#5 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:57 PM

Well, since my nephew and nieces all play soccer, and I see increasing coverage (when I'm bothered with sports at all) of soccer and the US national teams, I'd say we're learning about it.

Ro

#6 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:46 AM

Here Here!  This is exactly the type of thing we need to have happen more often!  They always say the British Forces are the experts at this type of hearts and minds operation.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#7 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:49 AM

Here Here! This is exactly the type of thing we need to have happen more often! They always say the British Forces are the experts at this type of hearts and minds operation.

No jugment on any armed forces here, but whenever I see pictures of American soldiers in towns they always are in full combat gear inside jeeps waiting for an attack any moment, wheras the British soldiers seem to jump at the first opertunity to take off their hard hats and walk amoungst the people sharing chocolate rations.

Of course with our media, who knows what I am seeing  :angel:
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:57 AM

Ro-Astarte, on Apr 4 2003, 03:46 PM, said:

Well, since my nephew and nieces all play soccer, and I see increasing coverage (when I'm bothered with sports at all) of soccer and the US national teams, I'd say we're learning about it.

Ro
That all started when I was in Jr High school, and Pele came to the USA to play in the pro league here. Abotu 30 years ago. We may catch up some day.

:upside:  < Woo Woo Woo Woo

Edited by Kosh, 05 April 2003 - 12:58 AM.

Can't Touch This!!

#9 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

Ilphi, on Apr 4 2003, 09:38 PM, said:

No jugment on any armed forces here, but whenever I see pictures of American soldiers in towns they always are in full combat gear inside jeeps waiting for an attack any moment, wheras the British soldiers seem to jump at the first opertunity to take off their hard hats and walk amoungst the people sharing chocolate rations.
That would be a result of a different mentality largely.  The American military has always been a tool meant to break things and kill people with the most firepower than it can bring to bear.  That is something it is rather good at as you see the Republican Guard get ground apart on TV.  So their mentality of the situation is more minded to carrying out that type of mission.  That said the US military can and does play the game very well.  The US military has carried out some good PR calls in this one.  Some Marines with 1st MEF took time out from rest to assist a farmer with repairing a irrigation pump and grabbing batteries out of their vehicles to get it running.  The situation at the home of the Ayatollah where the CO of that patrol from the 101st had them drop to their knees and lower their guns when approached by a crowd was an excellent diffusing movement.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#10 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 4 2003, 01:35 PM, said:

Here Here!  This is exactly the type of thing we need to have happen more often!  They always say the British Forces are the experts at this type of hearts and minds operation.
There was that article in The Sun the other day about that pretty young blonde that was touring Safwan... ;) ;) ;)

But in all seriousness, this is *great* news. There's nothing like a little friendly competition to help make hatred and mistrust melt.

Good for the Brits, and good for the Iraqis.

:) :) :)

Edited by jon3831, 05 April 2003 - 01:34 AM.

"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#11 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 4 2003, 09:35 PM, said:

Here Here!  This is exactly the type of thing we need to have happen more often!  They always say the British Forces are the experts at this type of hearts and minds operation.
Hearts and Minds:

http://www.operation...do_children.jpg

http://www.operation...s/brig_3cdo.jpg

http://www.operation.../ops/sweets.jpg
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:37 AM

Ha!

That's an awesome story.. wonder if there's any footage? :D
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:37 AM

Talkie Toaster, on Apr 4 2003, 10:23 PM, said:

Hearts and Minds:
Thanks TT!  

To add to my comment above; the US military is good at hearts and minds.  It just happens that the Brits are among if not the best in the world at it.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#14 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:47 AM

Oh, the US Soldiers are doing a fantastic job :)

I just get a little concerend when i read articles like this:
http://palestinechro...030403074310930
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#15 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:56 AM

The link doesn't work... or is it just me?  :eh:

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:58 AM

mystic, on Apr 4 2003, 10:45 PM, said:

The link doesn't work... or is it just me?  :eh:
Same here....  And why do I get a slight twitch when I read Palenstine and wonder if it is connected to that....
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#17 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:21 AM

It took a really long time to load, but finally I saw it.

It's very disturbing, indeed.

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 05 April 2003 - 05:23 AM.

#18 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:49 AM

I can't get to it either.... :eh:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:55 AM

http://www.arabnews....644&sct=Western journalists&

Try it that way....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#20 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 06:16 AM

^
:blink:

Umm.... meep.  And meep again.  :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users