Public Health Avian Flu Pandemic feared 2005

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

At Yahoo news, this article paints a pretty bleak picture of the possibility of a huge avian flu pandemic.  72% mortality rate.  Possibility of mutating into a disease to kill millions of humans? High.

Hug your loved ones.  There have been some wonderful sci fi novels about this scenario (my favorite, The City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy) but this reality frightens me.

Kathy
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

Well it should be interesting when WHO gets ahold of this one because CDC tends to be more levelheaded in their warnings.  I wouldn't lose sleep on this one but just keep it in the back of the mind.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

I'm not terribly worried either. If I die, I die. *shrug*
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:48 AM

From everything the scientists have been saying over the last 5-6 years, we're way overdue for a pandemic. Bad news is how much faster it could spread because of world travel, good news is that it would be noticed way faster than the 1918 pandemic and maybe possibly they'll have a vaccine ready...

'shana

#5 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:55 AM

Shoshana, on Feb 22 2005, 04:48 AM, said:

good news is that it would be noticed way faster than the 1918 pandemic and maybe possibly they'll have a vaccine ready...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus there's not a Great War underway with lots of soldiers crowded into troop transport ships and infecting one another during the trans-Atlantic voyage.

Edited by Solar Wind, 22 February 2005 - 05:20 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Avian Flu, Pandemic feared, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users