105 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:12 AM

full story (long) here

i understand the parents' positions, but it seems to me that she made it clear to her husband that if something like this happened she didn't want to be kept alive artificially.  IIRC, past articles have quoted doctors as saying there's little to no chance she'd ever be a functioning person even IF she fully recovered.  they should just let her go so she can be at peace.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:57 AM

This is so sad. :(  I understand that the parents don't want to let go, but they're no longer trying to keep their daughter alive.  They're trying to keep a mass of cells alive.  The individual is dead and all that's left is an empty husk that's capable of breathing and excreting but not much more.  The life of their daughter has already ended and the only reason her body hasn't realized it too is because they're force-feeding it.  So sad.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:57 AM

You know...some Judges just need to be B***h slapped. Wasn't his decision already over ruled??? So what? Now he decides to put a stay on removing the tube? For what? it was already ruled that he had no authority to order the tube in the first freaking place.

GGGGRRRRR!!!!

Let this woman die in peace already. Jeese!

The husband should make it crystal clear to the Judge that he will not foot any further medical bills, and that since the Judge is forcing them to keep the tube in, he will forward all medical bills not coverage by insurance to the judge to pay. Bet the Judge orders the removal of the tube real quick then.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:16 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Feb 24 2005, 02:57 AM, said:

You know...some Judges just need to be B***h slapped. Wasn't his decision already over ruled??? So what? Now he decides to put a stay on removing the tube? For what? it was already ruled that he had no authority to order the tube in the first freaking place.

GGGGRRRRR!!!!

The husband should make it crystal clear to the Judge that he will not foot any further medical bills, and that since the Judge is forcing them to keep the tube in, he will forward all medical bills not coverage by insurance to the judge to pay. Bet the Judge orders the removal of the tube real quick then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's already run out of money to pay for it all.  I *think* the money is coming from an organization or donations.  I can't remember for sure, though and it's a quarter past three in the morning here, so I can't be bothered to look it up.

Anyway, I agree with you.  It's time they just let her die in peace and give everyone some closure.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#5 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

^ i think she's right, LOTS.  the parents have coerced some organization into footing the bills.

but my God the woman's been gone for fifteen years.  let her die in peace already.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:36 PM

If I ever end up in this situation, somebody please hire a couple of hitters to sneak up in the hospital and put a couple of wadcutters through my face.   I can't imagine anything much worse than being left a vegetable wired to a machine while a bunch of do-goody-good idiots won't let you "die" when you're already dead by any real definition.   Take the poor lady off already...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#7 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

Let's keep some stuff in perspective.

This lady is NOT on life support, she's on a feeding tube. If they disconnect the tube, she's not going to stop right away, she is going to STARVE TO DEATH! Think about that a moment before you say "just let her go".

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

TechHarper, on Feb 24 2005, 03:16 AM, said:

LORD of the SWORD, on Feb 24 2005, 02:57 AM, said:

GGGGRRRRR!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's already run out of money to pay for it all.  I *think* the money is coming from an organization or donations.  I can't remember for sure, though and it's a quarter past three in the morning here, so I can't be bothered to look it up.

Anyway, I agree with you.  It's time they just let her die in peace and give everyone some closure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's correct. The settlement money ran out sometime in the last two years...don't remember when. I wish they'd just let the poor woman go. A persistant vegetative state isn't living at all.  :pout:

Which just goes to show you that you need to think these things through ahead of time and make sure paperwork stating your intentions is on file and current. I updated mine right before my back surgery last summer (my whole family does this religiously because of a very bad experience we had with a family member in a persistent vegetative state being kept on life support in Texas). No leaving things to chance, no siree. That takes the burden of making these decisions OFF your loved ones, which is the humane thing to do, IMO.

Edited by Rhea, 24 February 2005 - 03:11 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:41 PM

HubcapDave, on Feb 24 2005, 12:09 PM, said:

Let's keep some stuff in perspective.

This lady is NOT on life support, she's on a feeding tube. If they disconnect the tube, she's not going to stop right away, she is going to STARVE TO DEATH! Think about that a moment before you say "just let her go".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and she's not going to feel it either.  she does not function.  she has no awareness.  it would be doing the parents a favor.  they've wasted fifteen years hoping for something that's not going to happen.  they NEED to let her go.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#10 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

I'd take a gander at the parent's website before you say that.

#11 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

If their claims that a handful of minor movements and sounds mean she's still conscious are accurate, it only makes their case WORSE, because forcing someone to stay alive in such a state is nothing but torture.

#12 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

and she's not going to feel it either.  she does not function.  she has no awareness.  it would be doing the parents a favor.  they've wasted fifteen years hoping for something that's not going to happen.  they NEED to let her go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no proof that she wouldn't be able to feel it. While I agree that the woman should be allowed to die in peace, I think there are probably more humane ways to do it than letting her starve to death.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#13 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

Delvo, on Feb 24 2005, 02:32 PM, said:

If their claims that a handful of minor movements and sounds mean she's still conscious are accurate, it only makes their case WORSE, because forcing someone to stay alive in such a state is nothing but torture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tell me about it.  especially given that she told her husband she would not want to be kept alive by artificial means.

they're likely assuming "oh she wants to live!" while inside i bet she's silently screaming to die in peace already.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:22 PM

Josh, on Feb 24 2005, 02:36 PM, said:

There's no proof that she wouldn't be able to feel it. While I agree that the woman should be allowed to die in peace, I think there are probably more humane ways to do it than letting her starve to death.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea but i'm sure the parents would have hernias at the thought of putting her to sleep like we would a suffering beloved pet.   :rolleyes:  not to mention that AFAIK, that's still illegal to do to humans.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:39 PM

ZWolf Actually I would just ask for a  overdose of a morphine and just go to sleep. It is a sad case all the way around. I wouldagree simply starving her to death is wrong. I would recommend euthinzation in a humane manner.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

Delvo, on Feb 24 2005, 02:32 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want everyone to take a look at the videos on this page and tell me again this woman is a vegetable.

http://www.blogsfort...o_conversat.php

Also, from what I understand, there are therapies available that possibly could have improved this woman's condition, but her husband refused to let them try (that is, if I am recalling correctly).

Certainly, it isn't much of a life to be left in this kind of state. If nothing else, this is certainly a cautionary tale about not making a living will.

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

A Living Will can be the only thing that prevents a hospital from keeping you in a vegitative state against what might be in your best interest.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#18 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:12 PM

Cheile, on Feb 24 2005, 10:31 AM, said:

^ i think she's right, LOTS.  the parents have coerced some organization into footing the bills.

but my God the woman's been gone for fifteen years.  let her die in peace already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally off-topic, but I'm a he. ;)

#19 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:23 PM

HubcapDave, on Feb 25 2005, 12:21 AM, said:

I want everyone to take a look at the videos on this page and tell me again this woman is a vegetable.

http://www.blogsfort...o_conversat.php

Also, from what I understand, there are therapies available that possibly could have improved this woman's condition, but her husband refused to let them try (that is, if I am recalling correctly).

Certainly, it isn't much of a life to be left in this kind of state. If nothing else, this is certainly a cautionary tale about not making a living will.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For one thing, the husband tried many, many treatments.  Some of them were experimental, because nothing else worked.  He stopped after several years after too many doctors told him that there was no coming back, but he makes sure she gets regular check-ups from her regular doctors in the nursing home.  He just didn't allow the quacks his in-laws hired to see her, as he knew they were basically getting paid to say she would get better one day.  From what I've been given to understand, he's been very good to his wife despite her comatose state.

Second, those videos are misleading.  Terri had a number of random movements as many comatose patient do.  They are random.  Terri's parents went into her room and videotaped for hours...something like 7 or 9 hours at a time....the entire time waving the ballon in front of her face and talking to her with the same script.  They got a few clips were it looked like her eyes were following the ballon and responding to them, when it was just random movement.

I still say let the poor woman die.  The whole ordeal was extended because of an imaging study done on 5 comatose patients in New York that showed that 2 of these patients had somewhat normal brian images when someone they knew well talked to them, suggesting that they replayed visual memories when someone was describing them.  I would much rather they just overdosed her on morphine and let her die peacefully.  She's not going to get better.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#20 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:38 AM

HubcapDave, on Feb 24 2005, 05:21 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

her husband refused because she told him she did not want to be kept alive by artificial means.  he's doing nothing more than fighting to honor her wish.

he = sorry, TH. :)  i was at the library and on a time limit.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Teri Schiavo, Feeding Tube

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users