105 replies to this topic

#101 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

A slightly late response...

eloisel said:

I'm curious as to why you would think about it though. Not that you aren't wise to consider the possibility, but it is my experience that most people under the age of 35 or so don't think much about end of life issues for themselves unless they, or someone close to them, have a terminal or possible fatal illness.

There you have it. I mentioned what I did above, then realized that I'd neglected to mention that, as a little kid, I wasn't certain I'd live into my teens due to medical issues; I never expected to live into my 30s, but here I am. ;) I tend not to talk about that very much, but it definitely influences me, and it's made me think a lot about death and in what conditions I'd want to continue existing. Saying "It was something I started considering in my teens" in my previous post is inaccurate; it started a lot earlier. But I don't think I want to weigh in on this case, because it's so controversial and uncertain.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#102 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

It doesn't even take unusual circumstances like that or seeing someone deteriorate up close to cause one to think of this kind of stuff by 26. I've had nothing like that happen in my life until the last few years (dying grandparents), but I've known about the possibility and made sure my family knew how much I wanted to avoid it for essentially all of my life.

#103 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

Perhaps, then, it is my experiences are different from the norm.   Even now at my advanced age, and the experiences that go with it, what is foremost in my mind is now that I've prepared for my retirement, what to do between now and then.  Although, prepaid funeral arrangements are on the list for this year simply because I don't want my daughter to make them for me.  She would likely have me cremated and carry me around in a mayonnaise jar in her purse for years.

I do admire you young people that seem to be so much more on the ball.  Good for you.

#104 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

^I'm not "you young people," ;) but I can testify that it doesn't take massive organization - all it takes is one of these intolerable experiences in your own family and you all take the time to express what you would want done if something like this happened to you - it takes the burden off your loved ones if you take the time to think it through. One bad experience and EVERYONE in my family has the appropriate documents, regardless of age.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#105 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:17 AM

The feeding tube was removed 3/18/05.  Mr. Schiavo's attorney said he was too emotional to be there when it was done.

As far as Terry making any statement as to this is not how she would want to live, I wonder if she made any statement as to how she would not want to die at the hands of those seeking her best interests.

#106 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

Edit: Wrong thread  :blush:

Edited by eryn, 19 March 2005 - 10:00 PM.

If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Teri Schiavo, Feeding Tube

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users