• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 03:45 AM

That article is hysterical!!  I'm glad I wasn't eating when I read it.  And I love the bit about the protesters.....

#22 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 04:09 AM

MichaelHinman, on Apr 5 2003, 07:28 PM, said:

What about French kissing?
Yup. That would become "Freedom kissing." ;)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#23 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

Jon's evil liberal twin

• Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 04:12 AM

Avalon, on Apr 5 2003, 11:57 PM, said:

And hey, Rov or Io -- could you guys maybe (pretty please?  :)  ) translate for those of us who are Old-English-impaired?   :)
Yeah, I'm on it... ;)
"Many have an Opinion not wise; That for a Prince to Governe his Estate; Or for a Great Person to governe his Proceedings, according to the Respect of Factions, is a Principall Part of Policy..." -- Sir Francis Bacon, Essayes or Counsell Civil and Morall
"You really do have a squee problem, you know that, right?" -- John
Visit Dangerously Slow Productions @ http://www.dsproductions.org Status: Complete. Go listen to the play! And coming soon, Henry IV, Part I, now in production!

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:47 AM

I do not think we need to remove the French influnce on our language. I think we need to make a new reality show French Secret service hit bombs and fouls ups.

A show where the CIA NSA and FBI turn out each and every screw up that the French DSGE has ever done.  What to know more about the guys who blew up the Rainbow Warrior here they are. Want the truth behind the bombings in Paris back in the 90's who did it and what the French did about it.
Care to know what  know what third world Countries have had changes in government by the French and for whom they did it for.

Basically make sure the French have a wonderful time explaining why they did things
Then offer incentives French Companies to relocate out of France and to drop their status as a french based Corp. Even if it's not to America just gut their economy and make them understand what picking a fight with us entails.

Nice? Not by any strech of the imagination but neither are the French nor the folks who want to support them.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:51 AM

MichaelHinman, on Apr 6 2003, 12:28 AM, said:

What about French kissing?
See I'd have a problem with "Freedom Kissing".  I just don't associate tongue action with the American Flag.

:)
Posted Image

#26 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:51 AM

You have GOT to be kidding me. While we're at it, let's conceptualize an American blunder reality show too! Hell, let's do a worldwide reality show!

This "bait and insult the French" crap that seems to be going around the country these days is REALLY wearing thin.

Edited by Josh, 06 April 2003 - 06:52 AM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#27 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:56 AM

Josh, on Apr 6 2003, 03:40 AM, said:

This "bait and insult the French" crap that seems to be going around the country these days is REALLY wearing thin.
Yup.

And it makes Americans look REALLY bad.  As if that were possible.

Like the French even CARE what we do with our language.
Posted Image

#28 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:58 AM

^

I think what makes it even worse is how PETULANT it ends up sounding.

"Waaaaaaaaah! You didn't do what we wanted you to do... so we're going to make complete fools of ourselves now!"

#29 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:05 AM

Josh, on Apr 6 2003, 03:47 AM, said:

^

"Waaaaaaaaah! You didn't do what we wanted you to do... so we're going to make complete fools of ourselves now!"
Precisely.

And it just hilights the bully aspect behind this war.  "Do what I say and if you don't I'll beat you up."
Posted Image

#30 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:06 AM

Keep in mind that only a small snippet of the population is doing the French renaming thing, and this article is a joke.

Also keep in mind that European and Arabic establishments are boycotting us, so it's illogical just to say the Americans look bad.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#31 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:10 AM

^

I'm aware of the article... and it doesn't matter how small the population of the offenders may be...

The press has blown it so far out of proportion that the damage has been done. As the superpower, I think there's a certain amount RESPONSIBILITY that should be involved here. Whether or not we like it or not, the sheer POWER that we have demands a tact that I rarely see these days.

#32 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:11 AM

Gee, boycotting bullies who start wars over speculation.  Shockingly bad behaviour...;)
Posted Image

#33 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:17 AM

I'm aware of the article... and it doesn't matter how small the population of the offenders may be...

But it's their choice whether to boycott or not. I'm not engaged in it personally, but people have the right to boycott any country's goods at any time. And if you don't like the way the media is covering it, don't watch. *shrug*.

Gee, boycotting bullies who start wars over speculation. Shockingly bad behaviour... ;)

That's your perspective. And it's no different than the attitude that says "Boycotting countries that are more interested in their financial interests than WMD and human rights. Shockingly bad behaviour ;)"."

I find neither one accurate, fair, or helpful. YMMV.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#34 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:23 AM

Yep. It's yawn-inducing to have to "prove" one's patriotism by incessantly bashing another country.

French-bashing was in style in 1986, too, when France didn't want to help us against Libya or some other problem like that. The French musician Jean-Michel Jarre knew Ronald McNair, an astronaut who died aboard CHALLENGER in '86; McNair was going to play a piece of Jarre's on saxophone sometime while on orbit. Jarre did an album in tribute to the crew, "Rendezvous", with "Ron's Piece" on it. (One of the pieces had a CHALLENGER-related video made.) Where I'm going with this was that, amid the anti-French attitude of '86, a local radio station that operated by having listeners vote on what they'd end up playing played a piece from "Rendezvous", and it was rejected because it was French. It didn't matter that it was in honor of CHALLENGER; it was French, so get rid of it. Groan...

Like the French even CARE what we do with our language.

They're very protective of French and would like to remove English influence from French. Maybe that's where this "Remove French from English" silliness came in, by reversing the sort of thing the French tend to talk about re: English?

Most assuredly...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#35 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:25 AM

^

Yeah, poking fun at a French foible. I honestly never understood the whole "Keep English influences out!" campaign. But it's there, and I think they meet every year to discuss related matters...

It's a cultural thing.  :wacko:.

<I predict the France-bashing will last about six months from the cessation of hostilities, btw>

#36 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:27 AM

But it's their choice whether to boycott or not. I'm not engaged in it personally, but people have the right to boycott any country's goods at any time. And if you don't like the way the media is covering it, don't watch. *shrug*.

Do you realize how ridiculous that last sentence sounded? If you had taken the time to read my last post carefully, you would have noticed I wasn't talking about *my* feelings with the media. I was speaking from a global perspective.

Of course, if you want half of the world to laugh at us for completely questionable and petulant reasons, by all means, support the boycotts!

Hey guys, let's demonize the French! They're bad and evil people! They're in the wrong! They they they, us us us! Us versus them and them versus us!

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THE HUMAN RACE.

... I need a drink.

#37 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:36 AM

Do you realize how ridiculous that last sentence sounded? If you had taken the time to read my last post carefully, you would have noticed I wasn't talking about *my* feelings with the media. I was speaking from a global perspective

Again, from your perspective. I don't have a problem with it; the media is allowed great latitude in this country. Just like I support the senator's right to BushBash, I support the media's right to FrenchBash. S'all good. Again.... their media is doing the same thing. I don't see the problem.

Of course, if you want half of the world to laugh at us for completely questionable and petulant reasons, by all means, support the boycotts!

Again.. why is our citizen supported boycott any worse than theirs? Because you disagree with the war? Or is there something else I'm missing?

The French economy is already starting to suffer, and that's what the boycotters wanted. Agree or disagree with their goals, there's nothing more American than the citizens standing up and doing what they can to make a difference.

Hey guys, let's demonize the French! They're bad and evil people! They're in the wrong! They they they, us us us! Us versus them and them versus us!

I think the usual line is more, "They don't care about American security; why should we care about their economy?".

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THE HUMAN RACE.

Oh, it's endlessly fascinating. I'm waiting for conservative commentators to start calling for a boycott to California......

I need a drink.

Support America, have a Bud! ;) ;) ;)

#38 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 09:58 AM

I started printing this thing off, before I read further into the thread.

You guys!! :p

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#39 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 10:07 AM

Avalon, on Apr 5 2003, 04:57 PM, said:

Aurelius, on Apr 5 2003, 10:11 PM, said:

Surely this has to be a joke!
Well...yeah.  Didn't anybody find this paragraph -- if none of the other things, like the use of Old English or the bit about the police and the protesters -- a dead giveaway?   :dontgetit:

The Liberty and Freedom In Language Act has been fast-tracked by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN), and is expected to easily pass a floor vote tomorrow morning. President Bush has indicated that he will then sign the Act in a solemn Rose Garden telecast at noon, after which he will ceremonially lower his trousers and expose his buttocks eastward, in the direction of France. In a display of bipartisan support for the measure, Congressional Democratic leaders will take part in the signing ceremony by forming a single file line to approach the President, genuflect, and lightly kiss his exposed posterior.

Nope. Sounded perfectly reasonable to me. :lol:
Per aspera ad astra

#40 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 11:46 AM

Freedom Fries?  Liberty Toast?  What kind of new crack is Washington D.C. Smoking?  Sheesh.  I would like to go to the moon too please...this is getting out of hand.  What did they rename French Vanilla BTW?
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, French

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users