55 replies to this topic

#41 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 08:05 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 6 2003, 04:25 AM, said:

Oh, it's endlessly fascinating. I'm waiting for conservative commentators to start calling for a boycott to California......
They like just laugh or shake their heads.  

France is a seperate issue. I support  taking back our honored dead. From their "Supposed" respected cemeteries.  I also favor tell the French that they count on low turnout of tourist from America "Something about warning that folks there will either attack you in the least spit on you." issued by our state department.

Now while the above statment is false it will deter some folks from going to France. The joy of the worlds lagrest economy not comming and spending money in your country. Add in a more advertising about England Ireland Spain or even Eastern Europe one could see the Euro keep it's gains but France lose even more ground with the EU.

Add in my last statements about offer those corporations that are trying to leave France the resources nessicary to do it,and you can here a possible crash in the market.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#42 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 08:06 PM

A Karas, on Apr 6 2003, 08:35 AM, said:

Freedom Fries?  Liberty Toast?  What kind of new crack is Washington D.C. Smoking?  Sheesh.  I would like to go to the moon too please...this is getting out of hand.  What did they rename French Vanilla BTW?
ah Vanilla? Who cares

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#43 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:58 AM

Hey, G, while you're doing your "superior American, scum-sucking French" routine, why don't we destroy the Statue of Liberty? I mean, the *French* gave her to us. We don't need that. What with Homeland Security, we don't really need any symbols of liberty around. After all, liberty's evil -- note what's become of the word "liberal"? Just an evil label without any deeper meaning.

I read a great letter in the April 14, 2003 edition of THE NATION. Here 'tis...

"Don't you just love Freedom Fries? Especially with... But did you know that hamburgers are named for a city in another country that refuses to get in line and do what it's told? So let's call them Patriot Patties. Now that I think about it, we sometimes call hot dogs 'frankfurters', and that's another city in that country. How about Stars and Stripes Sausages? Can't have a good Fourth of July picnic without Patriot Patties, Stars and Stripes Sausages, and Freedom Fries.
"Oh, and Russian Dressing. We'll have to change that to Democracy Dressing. And then there's the distressing problem of Chinese food, an entire cuisine named after a country that doesn't do as it's told. We could call it Homeland Security Food. (Dang! I'm running out of alliterations!)
We have avoided one close call, however. We almost had to rename turkey. I don't think Thanksgiving would be the same with Yankee Doodle Tom, although 'Yankee Doodle Drumstick' does have a certain je ne sais quoi... Whoops! I don't know what got into me! Just a small faux pas. Whoops again!
While we're renaming things, how about that statue in New York Harbor? You know, the woman with the torch. I suggest 'the Statue of Empire.' Hey, c'est la guerre, y'all."
(Bob Blau of Austin, TX)

:glare: but :lol: at the same time...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#44 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:22 AM

I haven't read everything in this thread... It's a little bit of a sensitive subject with me- I majored in french in college, lived in France for 6 months, and I love the language and the country.  Doesn't mean I always agree with their politics, but I'm bothered by all the anti-french sentiment I see around these days.  

For example...

Today my brother and I went to a Phillies baseball game in Philadelphia (I'm not a fan, but he had tickets, and it was something to do...  We got there really late, and missed most of the game, but that's another story ;))   Anyway, I'm sure everyone is familiar with the guys who hang out outside the stadiums at events like this and sell cheap t-shirts... Well, among all the Phillies t-shirts they were selling were t-shirts printed with "The French Suck" along with a graphic of what looked like (I only got a quick glance) Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes) relieving himself on the Eiffel Tower.   As we walked throughout the parking lot, all we heard were cries of "the french suck!" "french suck t-shirts!" as they advertised.  :hmmm:

I'll tell ya, I almost said something very rude to those guys in french when we passed by them.  That kind of thing is just rude and ignorant, and encourages more ignorance.   I've been among the french.  They're not all the stuck-up, MacDonald's hating stereotypes the rest of us have a tendency to make them out to be.    

*sigh*
The machine guns are roaring, The puppets heave rocks
The fiends nail time bombs to the hands of the clocks
Call me any name you like, I will never deny it
Farewell Angelina, The sky is erupting
I must go where it's quiet.
-Bob Dylan

#45 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{bob}}}}}}}}}}}}

You excercised better restraint than I would have.
Posted Image

#46 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:37 AM

^Well that's pretty disturbing and un-called for I think.  I have nothing against the French really.  They are just people to me, and this anger towards them does not speak well to me at all.  I hope this does not turn into hate crimes or something.   {{{{{bob}}}}}  Forget those guys, they are just a bunch of losers with no futures.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#47 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:44 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 6 2003, 11:23 PM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{bob}}}}}}}}}}}}

You excercised better restraint than I would have.
{{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}} Part of me wishes I hadn't. ;)

{{{{{{{{{A Karas}}}}}}}}} Thanks...  With these guys I think it was mostly a matter of capitalizing on the image of the french that's being propagated these days...  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have all that much interest in the political situation at all, they just saw an oportunity to make money off of other peoples' ignorance.   Anything to make a buck.    :pout:
-Bob Dylan

#48 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:56 AM

^Exactly.  {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Bob}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}  I likes yas though :)
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#49 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:12 AM

Gee sorry you do not like my point of view norville maybe you should guess how little I really care.

Bobby sorry if my pov about France is in your opinion blind but their government is the bad guy to me. I am also sorry about the hurt feeling you are having.

TANSTAAFL

#50 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:22 AM

{{{{{{A Karas}}}}}} Islers are the best. ;) :D

I see what you're saying G, and you have every right to disagree with their government.  I don't necessarily agree with them myself on everything.  It's just the generalizing I see happening of making everything french into the "bad guy", not necessarily by you in this discussion, but by those guys I saw today, that really made me mad today...
-Bob Dylan

#51 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:55 AM

Hey, I've got no problem with the French. As I've said from the beginning I think this will blow over in at most a couple of years just like the renaming of German foods during World War 1 didn't last.  People will say stupid things on both sides of the Atlantic and then we will move on, I just don't see what the big deal is, tensions happen between countries just like they do between people and like any true friends eventually reconcilliation will happen.  I myself find some of actions of the French government, among them the patronizing tone of Chriac towards Eastern Europe around January and the sale of goods to Iraq through a UN embargo to be bad things but that doesn't mean my opinion of the French has a people has been changed one iota.

Edited by tennyson, 07 April 2003 - 10:07 AM.

"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#52 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:01 AM

Ok I'll bash the French because a French waiter in Nimes bashed a group of us making an effort to use French during our visit there. Proved the language snobbery to me he did indeed.

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#53 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:12 AM

Anastashia, on Apr 7 2003, 02:50 AM, said:

Ok I'll bash the French because a French waiter in Nimes bashed a group of us making an effort to use French during our visit there. Proved the language snobbery to me he did indeed.

Ani
Yeah, there are some people like that.  But, I met plenty of perfectly nice and open-minded french people as well.   There are jerks in every country.
-Bob Dylan

#54 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 05:28 PM

The problem with stereotypes is that they rarely stand up against complex, RL humans.

Unfortunately, some people don't let that stop them, and type away. Crass always translate too well.

No country, even the most autocratically governed one, is one monolithic opinion. To assume it does is middling stupidity and in the 90% percentile of bad taste.

I disagree with the French on this (and, well, several other subjects). I also disagree vehemently with my own government on occasion. Why would I assume anyone one else agreed with a particular government due to their taste in geography? Even more so, their parents taste in geography? :crazy:

In the end, I'm with Forrest Gump. "Stupid is as stupid does."

Ro

#55 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:21 PM

I didn't mean to condemn all French people either. The people who we were working with very graciously made an effort to provide us with American style breakfasts on occasion. They failed in their efforts but it wasn't from lack of trying only lack of experience. I was honestly surprised by the dining experience but it perhaps proved that the stereotype has some basis in fact.

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#56 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:35 PM

Anastashia, on Apr 7 2003, 12:10 PM, said:

I was honestly surprised by the dining experience but it perhaps proved that the stereotype has some basis in fact.

Ani
FTR, I wasn't thinking of your example in particular, Ani, but the general principle.

For example, I have a friend who's lived in this country many years. She's raised a family here, has become a citizen and speaks English much better than I speak Japanese (which is hardly at all). She has a phone job, and she was telling me about a number of times when a customer calls, and when she answers the phone insists on speaking to a "real American" for their business.  :glare:

Most prejudices have some basis in experience, but I'm not so sure about fact. Maybe those persons had a communication difficulty in the past, (I'm being generous here) but that doesn't make it fact based, simply experience based. From a statistically invalid sample. ;)

Ro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, French

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users