137 replies to this topic

#41 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:23 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 7 2003, 11:11 AM, said:

Rumsfeld pretty much confirms Ali is dead, and recounts the civilian damage the Iraqi army has done...
You're talking about "Chemical" Ali correct??

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#42 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:31 PM

^

Correct. Chemical Ali is a dead man.

In the Pentagon briefing, they showed the missile hit on his home. The first one missed by a few metres; interesting that they're so open with that, innit?

The second video was a missile being fired at a rocket launcher.... but a civilian truck got in the way, and the missile was instead guided into the river. Poor Fish. ;).

#43 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:31 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 7 2003, 01:11 PM, said:

Rumsfeld pretty much confirms Ali is dead
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the greatest! He was so bad, he made medicine sick! He shook up the world! Him! Whee!

Oh, you mean 'Chemical Ali'. Not Muhammad Ali.

My mistake.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#44 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:38 PM

Ro-Astarte, on Apr 7 2003, 08:46 PM, said:

CNN reports that according to a Russian journalist accompanying the diplomatic convoy that got shot up, they were met by American armored vehicles when they first left Baghdad and may have gotten caught in the cross fire.
TV showed that they arrived in Syria and their cars were examined by experts. It appeared, after all, that at least some of bullets were 5.56 mm (they didn't tell that every single bullet was like this, though). Probably, they found plenty of those in ambassador's car, because it moved first in the convoy.

However, it was a clearly marked diplomatic convoy.

This means that the first car (with ambassador) carried the Russian flag and cars with reporters had "TV" marks on them. However, reporters and diplomats mentioned something about Iraqi jeeps(sp?) that either traveled with the convoy, or just moved along the same road and could be seen as moving with the convoy. Maybe those jeeps were the desired target.

The ambassador's driver had to be left in hospital en route with another staff member staying behind to look after him. :(

Plans are now made to evacuate them to Russia as soon as the driver's health will allow to move him (Iraqi medics said 2-3 days).

No direct comment as yet from the ambassadorial staff.

If you'll count the interview with ambassador on Iraqi-Syrian border for "direct comment as yet from the ambassadorial staff", the ambassador said that they did see large amount of American armored vehicles (tanks & etc.) in about 50 meters from their cars shortly after the firing and those armored vehicles appeared from the direction of the firing (well, one of directions). He also said that it is a miracle that he is alive (at this point the expert was showing the bullet trace in ambassador's car and demonstrating how the bullet could have hit the ambassador in his head if it wasn't for some detail of car seat).

The Federation Council ("upper house"(?) of Russian parliament) called this all "an accident" and the media's reactions are pretty tame here. One of reporters who were with the convoy said that it were American who started to shoot first, but he contradicts himself every 30 seconds so I wouldn't listen to him too much.

Oh, and of course Iraqi ambassador in Moscow said that Iraqi has nothing to do with this. It is a whole separate issue (with Iraqi ambassador, I mean) - ever since the start of this war he was always eager to talk to reporters. His Russian is pretty good and he gave several interviews to different TV and radio companies and information agencies. As for this accident, he kept silence for quiet some time, though.

Lina

#45 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:17 AM

[QUOTE]However, reporters and diplomats mentioned something about Iraqi jeeps(sp?) that either traveled with the convoy, or just moved along the same road and could be seen as moving with the convoy. Maybe those jeeps were the desired target.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that certainly could have caused some confusion.

[QUOTE]No direct comment as yet from the ambassadorial staff.[/QUOTE]

If you'll count the interview with ambassador on Iraqi-Syrian border for "direct comment as yet from the ambassadorial staff", the ambassador said that they did see large amount of American armored vehicles (tanks & etc.) in about 50 meters from their cars shortly after the firing and those armored vehicles appeared from the direction of the firing (well, one of directions). He also said that it is a miracle that he is alive (at this point the expert was showing the bullet trace in ambassador's car and demonstrating how the bullet could have hit the ambassador in his head if it wasn't for some detail of car seat).
[/QUOTE]

Definitely count that. :)  It sounds like it was a tremendous stroke of luck that no one was killed outright.

[QUOTE]The Federation Council ("upper house"(?) of Russian parliament) called this all "an accident" and the media's reactions are pretty tame here. [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain in was an accident as well.  Hard to imagine either side wishing to bring Russia in as a combatant against themselves.

[QUOTE]Oh, and of course Iraqi ambassador in Moscow said that Iraqi has nothing to do with this. It is a whole separate issue (with Iraqi ambassador, I mean) - ever since the start of this war he was always eager to talk to reporters. His Russian is pretty good and he gave several interviews to different TV and radio companies and information agencies. As for this accident, he kept silence for quiet some time, though.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like he wasn't altogether sure himself of what happened at first. Discretion is sometimes the better part of diplomacy.

Ro

#46 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:24 AM

^^^ during last 2 weeks I got a strong impression that discretion = being talkative where this man is concerned. He was always so eager to make various claims, and his silence just didn't sound right.

Lina

#47 Aurora335

Aurora335

not a force to be reckoned with

• Islander
  • 634 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:27 AM

The recent pictures of the chemical weapons in the bunker I found really interesting. . . particularly the barrels marked "Produit d'Urgence."

I could be wrong, but that sure looks like French to me. And France said they wouldn't participate unless chemical or biological weapons. Hmmmmm.

#48 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

Aurora335, on Apr 7 2003, 10:16 PM, said:

The recent pictures of the chemical weapons in the bunker I found really interesting. . . particularly the barrels marked "Produit d'Urgence."

I could be wrong, but that sure looks like French to me. And France said they wouldn't participate unless chemical or biological weapons. Hmmmmm.
Oopsie, could France's dirty (chemical) little secret be out?

Time will tell I guess.

D'

#49 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:35 AM

Aurora335, on Apr 7 2003, 05:16 PM, said:

France has also been dealing all sorts of military gear to Iraq-- including its entire air defense grid --for years.

"Produit d'Urgence" means, if I remember grade ten correctly, "emergency use only". I mean, for all we know they were just bottles of eyewash.

Then again, I always got a kick out of the fact that bombs were shipped to Vietnam in crates labeled "DO NOT DROP". ;)

Personally, I would love to see Chirac eat cake over this when it turns out that the same WMDs that France is going to war in Iraq over couldn't have been created in Iraq without French material support.

Now that's what I call a material breach.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#50 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 05:44 AM

There are now reports that we may have just turned the Head Mustache himself into a dark smear on the floor of a great big crater.

Intelligence reports indicated that the Head Mustache and his two sons were in a house on the outskirts of Baghdad. Before anyone had a chance to leave, we dumped a half-dozen bunker-buster bombs on the house.

All that's left is a smoking crater.

The story is developing . . .
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#51 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:08 AM

Updates:
- CENTCOM: A B-1B dropped four JDAMs into a building in Baghdad.  At least thirty intelligence officials and senior Baath party officials were at the site.  The building is located in the Mansour neighborhood.  CNN reports the attack killed nine people and wounded 13 others. A restaurant and apartments were reported to be destroyed in the attack.   Initial reports say Saddam and perhaps his sons were at the site.  
- Three battalions of the 2nd Brigade 3ID have moved into Baghdad with intent to “remain in the city” and US forces have taken at least two of Saddam's palaces in Baghdad.  At least 4 US armored vehicles are reported to be at Saddam’s main palace complex. US military officials say 65 Abrams and 40 Bradley fighting vehicles took part in the latest incursion into Baghdad.  Iraqi fighters fled along the Tigris river to escape the force.
- An Iraqi missile landed nearthe tactical operations center for the U.S. Army's 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division in Baghdad killing two U.S. soldiers and two journalists and wounding 15 other individuals.  
- At an agricultural complex in Hindiya near Karbala the 101st Airborne Division found what might be a stock of nerve and blister agents.  They were hidden inside barrels in underground bunkers. Initial tests indicated the presence of non-weaponized chemical agents.
- Irregular Iraqi forces ambushed a U.S. Marine platoon of LAVs Monday in the central Iraqi city of Ab Diwaniyah.  The U.S. unit escaped without casualties and reported some of the fighters were wearing women's clothing,
- UK troops are advancing into the old city of Basra without an armored support as they establish control over the area.

Iraq may have set up Russian convoy attack: senior US official

The official, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, said there were indications the Iraqis had tried to create an international incident by altering the route of the convoy to pass through a contested area west of Baghdad on Sunday.

Report: U.S. Finds Missiles with Chemical Weapons

NPR, which attributed the report to a top official with the 1st Marine Division, said the rockets, BM-21 missiles, were equipped with sarin and mustard gas and were "ready to fire." It quoted the source as saying new U.S. intelligence data showed the chemicals were "not just trace elements."

I stress I have not found much further to back this one up...  But if it proves true.  Of all things to report it NPR...

A poignant picture of Abrams rolling under the famous crossed swords in Baghdad:
http://i.a.cnn.net/c...d.monday.ap.jpg

Drew: Before anyone had a chance to leave, we dumped a half-dozen bunker-buster bombs on the house.

It was 4 JDAMs from a B-1B according to CENTCOM and no reports of GBU-28s as far as I know.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#52 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:11 AM

D'Monix, on Apr 7 2003, 05:23 PM, said:

Aurora335, on Apr 7 2003, 10:16 PM, said:

Oopsie, could France's dirty (chemical) little secret be out?

Time will tell I guess.

D'
"They told me they were making Perfume!!"
Sharoc
Can't Touch This!!

#53 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:14 AM

Drew, on Apr 7 2003, 09:33 PM, said:

There are now reports that we may have just turned the Head Mustache himself into a dark smear on the floor of a great big crater.

Intelligence reports indicated that the Head Mustache and his two sons were in a house on the outskirts of Baghdad. Before anyone had a chance to leave, we dumped a half-dozen bunker-buster bombs on the house.

All that's left is a smoking crater.

The story is developing . . .
MSNBC says that Though we may never know for sure, the white house believes Sadam and his sons have, indeed, been smeared!

Edited by Kosh, 08 April 2003 - 04:13 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#54 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:28 AM

A note on the level of destruction of the AA defenses in Baghdad:  CNN is showing live footage of a A-10 Warthog flying low and slow over it during the day.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#55 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:40 AM

Picture of the day:

US troops chill on Saddam's Sofa
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#56 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:15 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 7 2003, 09:29 PM, said:

LOL!!!!  I love that picture ;).  And there are other neat pictures at this site too.  Thanks, CJ! :)

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 08 April 2003 - 08:15 AM.

#57 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:47 AM

Sig quote. ;).

That's an AWESOME picture. I hope they bring in some Iraqi's to pose too :lol:

Here's hoping we got Saddam.... that's one hell of a crater. Let's hope it's also a tomb.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#58 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:27 PM

I don't think smearing him like that is such a good idea.

Unless we can prove he's dead, he'll be back like Elvis.

Having his bloated corpse is a step up from having a splatter mark on the floor.

And I have to admit, my admiration for the infantry only grows with every picture like that one I see. Reminds me of somethin' out of "Band of Brothers" or some other similar film. Very neat.

#59 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

the'Hawk, on Apr 8 2003, 10:16 AM, said:

I don't think smearing him like that is such a good idea.

Unless we can prove he's dead, he'll be back like Elvis.
Well there is always the option of taking the site and sending in someone with Q-tips to look for chunky Saddam Salsa.   Might be enough proof for the US but everyone else.....
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#60 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 04:44 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 7 2003, 10:57 PM, said:

Drew: Before anyone had a chance to leave, we dumped a half-dozen bunker-buster bombs on the house.

It was 4 JDAMs from a B-1B according to CENTCOM and no reports of GBU-28s as far as I know.
Right. It was "breaking news" as I wrote that. And for the next half-hour, the details changed as info came in.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Updates

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users