Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Hunter Wants to Kill Cats!

Animals Cats Open Season Wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:28 PM

http://story.news.ya...us/hunting_cats

Wisc. Hunter Wants Open Season for Cats

MADISON, Wis. - Hunter Mark Smith welcomes wild birds on to his property, but if he sees a cat, he thinks the "invasive" animal should be considered fair game.

The 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse has proposed that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species" that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

His proposal will be placed before hunters on April 11 at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearings in each of the state's 72 counties. ]

Um... I kinda understand this, but.... um... :(

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,341 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

That's just wrong.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#3 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

Nope.  Not a clear cut issue.  Feral cats are a huge problem in some areas.  (as are feral dogs)

Of course, the difficulty in determining whether any cat is a pet that has temporarily escaped its owner's custody or an unowned feral remains a problem.  Folks shouldn't use such laws as an excuse to shoot the neighbor's pet cat; but they should be able to protect their property and themselves from a non-native cat species that may threaten their health or the health of their own pets.
Moreover, such non-native interlopers can cause severe harm to the natural ecosystem, particularly when they are permitted to multiply freely.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#4 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Well, it does suck, and I wouldn't want to be one of the ones blasting the lil' kitties (my cat, Thirteen, would never speak to me again.  Not that he speaks to me, anyway.  Not since I got better meds! ;) ) but they can be a problem if too many strays get in an area, go feral, and start overbreeding.   It's ugly, but, sadly, necessary.

It's just another good reason to be responsible and spay or neuter your pet.   Thirteen's going in for his week after next.   So, he probably won't speak to me again, anyway... and if he does, it'll be higher pitched than it already is...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#5 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

May Lady Sekhmet eat his heart.
Posted Image

#6 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

What does this hunter propose to do with the carcasses if they are allowed to kill "free-roaming domestic cats."

Reminds me of a dog I had once.  My daughter kept pet gerbils and hamsters.  Max would go break one of the rodents out of its cage, run into the room I was in and drop the critter on the floor.  Once I saw it, he'd pick it up and run off with it again.  I'd have to chase him down to save it.  He figured free-roaming domestic rodents were fair game.

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:11 PM

that's disgusting!!!

too bad for him if the cats are attracted by his bird feeders.  where there are birds there are cats.  it's NATURE. :grr:

this bastard should consider what legal ramifications will land on him if he murders someone's pet because he mistakes him or her for a feral.  but of course jerks like this don't think...it's beyond their capacity. :glare:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

^Depending on the area it could very well be legal for him to shoot the cat.

My question for the cat owners is the following:  What right does your cat have to tramp over the property of another person hunting the birds that they pay money to feed?  The last time I checked a hundred pound German Shepherd is over a cat in the food chain but if that dog ate your cat on your property I bet people would be calling the police or animal control.  

Myself I don’t advocate shooting cats on sight unless they are real pests.  As someone who grew up in a rural area with ferals the best way to deal with some of them is a .22.  Over the years a lot of our own cats have been injured by ferals that passed through and broke into the garage or barn. I have found a slingshot with a rubber ball in it is very effective for driving off the neighbors cats that are after our cats or the feeders.  Overall though some cat owners really need to be more considerate about what their cats do when they wander.

Take responsibility for what your cat does and if you hear serious complaints about it, which includes raiding neighborhood feeders, then contain it.  Otherwise you shouldn’t complain if your cat disappears.  I would expect the same if I let one of my dogs run wild in the neighborhood.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 08 March 2005 - 11:59 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#9 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

Depending on the area it could very well be legal for him to shoot the cat.

yea right....

there is no leash law for cats so comparing roaming cats to roaming dogs is like comparing the Andromeda to today's airplanes.  and them chasing a few birds is NOT A REASON TO MURDER CATS.  anyone who feeds birds should know that cats who may chase those birds come with the territory and not whine about it.

I have found a slingshot with a rubber ball in it is very effective for driving off the neighbors cats that are after our cats or the feeders.

then there's no reason to murder them if you yourself have proven that to be so effective.

if this jerk actually gets people to pass this he better be prepared to have his a** sued when he murders someone's beloved feline family member because said cat was acting on INSTINCT.

if he assumes they are all feral cats, then he should get the local animal control to lend him some humane traps so they can be caught and taken to a shelter.  NOT try to pass an asinine law so he can go around shooting them.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#10 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:46 AM

Ok, so would this be for getting rid of feral cats, or just any cat that is out on the street? If its the former, I hate to say it, but I'm not totally against it. A couple of my own beloved kitties were killed by feral cats over the years, and anyway to get rid of them is welcome.

If it is the latter... I'm not for it at all. Just because my cat is outside hanging out sunning himself does not mean that this jerk gets to kill him. But, that is not to say that the owners shouldn't be keeping an eye on their animals anyway. I know we have to chase away our cats from our bird feeders every now and then (although the likelyhood of my pudgy kitty actually catching and killing a bird are slimmer than a snowballs chance in hell) but still.
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:50 AM

I ask again what right do you have to let your cat wander on land that doesn’t belong to you?

Cheile: yea right....
The law is wrote in many areas to deal with pest animals so they allow shooting them.  It allows people to shoot first and ask questions later.  Now it is typically used on dogs after livestock but I have heard of it for cats after birds or causing other disruptions.  

Cheile: there is no leash law for cats so comparing roaming cats to roaming dogs is like comparing the Andromeda to today's airplanes.
Some areas do have leash laws and containment laws for cats and really urban areas should have them.  

Cheile: and them chasing a few birds is NOT A REASON TO MURDER CATS. anyone who feeds birds should know that cats who may chase those birds come with the territory and not whine about it.
It is their private property not your cats private playground.  They have a right to feed birds on their property without your cat trespassing and trying to make a snack of them.  Now myself I hope they kindly walk over to the house and tell the owner to control their cat and keep it off my property.  Then try some nonlethal ways to drive it away and if that doesn’t work then I say trap it and let the SPCA deal with it. If someone does all that including the SPCA and whatever the problem is persists then I can’t blame the property owner for shooting the cat.  I would be sad over it and feel that the cat should be sent to another more responsible owner before that but there are limits.  Of course there are less legal issues about shooting the cat then kidnapping it to a location and shelter where the owners won’t find it.

I blame the cat owner for not being responsible enough to realize part of the responsibility of having a pet is controlling it and insuring it doesn’t become a neighborhood pest.  

PS The Bird feeder could argue that it was justifiable self defense to protect the birds.

Cheile: then there's no reason to murder them if you yourself have proven that to be so effective.
It works on some cats and really it takes some skill with a slingshot.  In addition most cats are dumb enough to return several times.  Or if you get a really stubborn one like we currently do than it just runs off and returns.  The point is that it doesn’t work on all cats but myself I would rather live trap or slingshot them.  That said when they start to threaten our own cats or pets than shooting them is on the table.  

Cheile: if this jerk actually gets people to pass this he better be prepared to have his a** sued when he murders someone's beloved feline family member because said cat was acting on INSTINCT.
Good luck floating that one in court in many states.  Many areas have clauses that allow for the shooting of pets and animals that are being pests on private property.  

Cheile:
if he assumes they are all feral cats, then he should get the local animal control to lend him some humane traps so they can be caught and taken to a shelter.
I’ve used humane traps and while they are good many cats will get smart of them and won’t go near them.  On top of that if the trespassing cat is attacking your animals then you shouldn’t have to mess around with trying to trap it.  The better option is just to shoot it with a .22.  

You want a pet then have the responsibility to take care of it properly and that means preventing it from being a pest and wandering on the land of people who don’t want it there.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 09 March 2005 - 12:51 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#12 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

PS The Bird feeder could argue that it was justifiable self defense to protect the birds.

hello....you cannot rewrite the food chain.  wild birds that a person feeds are not YOUR birds.  therefore shooting a cat or cats to "defend the birds" is BS.  the birds are not yours to defend.

Good luck floating that one in court in many states. Many areas have clauses that allow for the shooting of pets and animals that are being pests on private property.

and if someone's cat accidentally gets out--a cat that is NOT an outside cat--is shot??  it could "float" very well.

show me proof that it's allowed to go shooting cats to protect birds that, again, do not belong to anyone.

in addition--before they THINK about passing this law, they need to look into this moron's background.  he's likely a serial killer in disguise.  since nearly all serial killers start by killing animals.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:19 AM

It's the person's property he placed the feeders their for his benefit. Is his property rights to be over ridden for a cat not their own. Can the property owner then be allowed to sue the cat owner for punitive damages for distrubing his privacy.

If a dog was running around eating cats I think folks would be bending over backwards even if the dog stayed on it's property.

So what excuse are we giving to allow cats to roam wherever they feel they want to yet not dogs.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 eryn

eryn

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:21 AM

Cheile: hello....you cannot rewrite the food chain. wild birds that a person feeds are not YOUR birds. therefore shooting a cat or cats to "defend the birds" is BS. the birds are not yours to defend.

That doesn't mean that cat owners shouldn't be taking responsibility for their pets.
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#15 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:28 AM

^ and yet the subject of someone's INDOOR cat that has accidentally escaped who could be unfairly targeted and wrongfully murdered is not addressed.

when there are humane options to remove the cats there is no excuse to be trying to pass a law to murder them.  period.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#16 eryn

eryn

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

(Cheile: I don't know if you're talking to me or G1223 here)

If you did direct that at me, I'm not saying that he should go off and kill somebody's pet here, and I'm not saying that this law should be passed either. All I'm saying is that the cat owner has the responsibility of controlling and taking care of their own cat. This includes that an indoor cat stays indoors.

This law hasn't even been passed, and I really don't think it will be passed anyway.

Edited by eryn, 09 March 2005 - 01:46 AM.

Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#17 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:59 AM

and what about a cat who accidentally gets out?  God forbid it gets disoriented and ends up in the wrong yard....

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#18 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

Depending on how persistent the cat is, there would be several non-lethal ways to chase the critter away.  Pennies make a VERY loud noise when shaken in a can.  :devil:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:08 AM

Of course, the difficulty in determining whether any cat is a pet that has temporarily escaped its owner's custody or an unowned feral remains a problem.

And that difficulty (which isn't going away any time soon) is exactly why this is for me a very clear cut issue.
Posted Image

#20 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:57 AM

Bottom line, it's the job of any pet owner to take care of the pets they own.  I assume that most people would be shooting the cats if they caused a problem.  Kitty sitting on the porch wouldn't be in any danger.  If kitty got out and trespassed on someone elses property, chances are they would still be fine.

Just like with any law, you have to trust people to use common sense.   The farmers I know would really only be shooting the feral cats they saw several times.   Chances are very good that if one of my parents cats was found by a local farmer, there would be a message on the phone by the time they got home.  I would be more worried about the cats getting killed by a dog or cayote then shot if this law was passed.  Not to mention being hit by a car.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Animals, Cats, Open Season, Wisconsin

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users