Animals Cats Open Season Wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:40 PM

So what you are telling us is that you may be one of the contributers to the feral cat problem. You can no longer account for the whereabouts of your cat, which you allowed to run loose.

******** Well, possibly by proxy... but He Who Cannot Be Named showed up at my house as a stray, and I gave him a home.  I really doubt that he ran off anywhere, because he was pretty much of a homebody.  I was going to get him neutered, but he disappeared before that could happen.  Shadow also started out a s a stray, but we got him from someone else.  He got neutered and had his shots (and got a really horrible abcess fixed) a month or so before he got run over.  So, I wouldn't say I was irresponsible with 'em, really - they were just supposed to be yard cats.  We live out in the country, so it's common to let dogs or cats run free.  They'll usually stick around one place because they're getting fed there.  If they're neutered, they lose even more tendency to roam, so it can be done responsibly.  But, alas, it doesn't always work out for the best... so, I've ended up with a housecat 'cuz I don't want to lose another one.  Too bad that it gives the rodents a break, though...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#42 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

Cheile, on Mar 9 2005, 02:59 AM, said:

and what about a cat who accidentally gets out?  God forbid it gets disoriented and ends up in the wrong yard....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my experience, courts don't give a darn about pets. If your dog or cat had real monitary value, like a akc registered dog, or whatever exsists for cats. If it's a pet and not registered, there isn't anything a court can really do.
Can't Touch This!!

#43 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:10 PM

The closest thing to the domestic cat here is the bobcat.

Again, untrue.  Go look up jaguarundi.  Also, while you're at it, margay and ocelot.

A small bobcat is no bigger than a large domestic cat.  They can and do climb trees, thank you very much, and have no need to fly to reach roosting or nesting birds.  

Birds are preyed upon by any number of species:  cats of all kinds, foxes, coyotes, wolves, raccoons, opossums, weasels and other mustelids of all sorts, snakes and other birds. With relatively few exceptions, they're prey species, not predators.  

Now, I wonder what this bozo's going to do when a Cooper's hawk or merlin shows up in his yard and settles in to dine.  (If you have feeders, you will also attract hawks and owls, who will then view your yard as the local Stop 'N Shop.)
If he shoots one of those, he's in all kinds of trouble with the law.
Posted Image

#44 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

Invasive species .... hmmm ....
another reason to use an instrument designed to kill ... hmmmm
slippery slopes .... hmmmmm

Sorry, neighbor, that I shot you in the head.  I was aiming at a roaming cat.

#45 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

waterpanther, on Mar 9 2005, 08:10 PM, said:

Again, untrue.  Go look up jaguarundi.  Also, while you're at it, margay and ocelot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK... Jaguarundi, Margay, Ocelot.

You just named three feline species with little or no presence in the USA, right along the Mexican border or not at all. (The story was from Wisconsin.) Two of them are bigger and heavier than domesitc cats and eat equivalently larger prey; while the lists do include generic references to birds, there's a clear emphasis on larger, flightless animals like monkeys, rabbits, and peccaries, and the only kind of bird specified as prey of theirs is "junglefowl", which are like chickens or turkeys, not the kind of birds we're talking about. The only one of the same kind of size and weight as domestic cats and thus a similar prey size is also the one that's absent from the USA, being exclusively tropical and neotropical, and has a more varied diet (even with certain plant parts and eggs among the top few items) with much less of an emphasis on the birds than domestic cats.

<Bobcats> can and do climb trees, thank you very much, and have no need to fly to reach roosting or nesting birds.
Spiffy idea about how they maybe could get small flying birds (if they even wanted to despite the size issue), but the fact that they don't makes it irrelevant.

Are you seriously claiming that domestic cats are not an introduced and invasive species? The damage they do to the ecosystems they end up in is quite well known and widely acknowledged in multiple countries on multiple continents. What makes them any different from the North American gray squirrel in Europe, the Chinese snakehead fish in some mid-Atlantic states or the Nile perch in the Great Lakes, other than possibly being even more damaging?

Edited by Delvo, 09 March 2005 - 11:21 PM.

#46 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:04 PM

i was gonna say the jaguarundi and ocelot are not native to this country but Delvo beat me to it.

again i stand with my reasoning.  shelters/SPCA/animal control exist for a REASON.  that reason is it's their responsibility to monitor strays.  which means there's no excuse for a law like this to be passed.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#47 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:46 PM

Of course domestic cats are an introduced species in the Americas.  So are horses, sheep, pigs, starlings. rock doves (pigeons), house sparrows--which have probably done far more damage to native bird species through habitat/food competition than cats have--chickens, domestic ducks and geese.  More habitat destruction, and species extirpation with it, has probably occurred as a result of clearing of farm land and timber cutting than any species competiton.

I followed your links, Delvo, and all three feline species overlap domestic cats in weight and length, though the overlap for ocelots and domestic cats is at the low end of the former and the high end of the latter.  Your sources also clearly state that margays and jaguarundis eat birds, as do ocelots.  And I'm afraid all three species are in fact native to what is now the United States, as are jaguars.  I've seen two of these cats in my own area of South Texas, and I've been involved in an ongoing effort to preserve the migratory corridors of ocelots through the cane that lines the Rio Grande.  

Spiffy idea about how they maybe could get small flying birds (if they even wanted to despite the size issue), but the fact that they don't makes it irrelevant.

A question, Delvo, in all sincerity--how much wildlife study/observation have you ever done?  Have you ever seen a bobcat in the wild?  Have you ever watched a mother bobcat bring up her kittens--and bring them birds to eat?  Because if you have, we can compare notes, and I just might start to take your assertions seriously.
Posted Image

#48 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:10 PM

I didn't say the felines you mentioned "don't eat birds". You're just trying to misrepresent what I really said by absolutizing it, to help you dodge the real point, which is the harm done to the populations of the prey of domestic cats. And the true but irrelevant stuff about other species that have also been harmful in other ways, and the attempt to pull authority when shown facts you don't like but have a hard time circumnavigating (which requires that you exaggerate certain species' prevalence in this country and dietary focus and population impact on the birds that domestic cats threaten), is just another round of dodges. For whatever reason, you clearly just don't WANT to admit that wild domestic cats are a problem and not a natural part of the food chain as some in the thread have asserted.

#49 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

No--I simply note that domestic cats do not represent the only predation pressure on birds, and not the most significant one.  

Nor did I "exaggerate the prevalence" of other cat species; the ones I named are in fact native to the U. S.   If you take issue with that statement, provide evidence in your favor.

Oh, and kindly answer the question you're dodging:

A question, Delvo, in all sincerity--how much wildlife study/observation have you ever done? Have you ever seen a bobcat in the wild? Have you ever watched a mother bobcat bring up her kittens--and bring them birds to eat? Because if you have, we can compare notes, and I just might start to take your assertions seriously.
Posted Image

#50 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:29 AM

Delvo, on Mar 9 2005, 08:10 PM, said:

wild domestic cats

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

:D I figured somebody would point that out, but I'm stuck with no name for the species other than "domestic cats" to distinguish them from other feline species that some people are in the weird habit of calling "cats" even though they're other species. And when members of the "domestic cat" species go wild, they're still members of the same species, even if they're not living in the domestic condition anymore... :upside:

#52 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

waterpanther, on Mar 10 2005, 04:45 AM, said:

No--I simply note that domestic cats do not represent the only predation pressure on birds, and not the most significant one. 

Nor did I "exaggerate the prevalence" of other cat species; the ones I named are in fact native to the U. S.   If you take issue with that statement, provide evidence in your favor.

Oh, and kindly answer the question you're dodging:

A question, Delvo, in all sincerity--how much wildlife study/observation have you ever done? Have you ever seen a bobcat in the wild? Have you ever watched a mother bobcat bring up her kittens--and bring them birds to eat? Because if you have, we can compare notes, and I just might start to take your assertions seriously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your implication that only folks who have watched a mother bobcat bring up her kittens can make an intelligent point on this issue is a fallacious appeal to authority.  

To show you the impact of your words on others let me direct them back at you.  Make your claims without logical fallacies "and I just might start to take your assertions seriously."
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#53 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:09 PM

Nonny, on Mar 10 2005, 02:29 PM, said:

Delvo, on Mar 9 2005, 08:10 PM, said:

wild domestic cats

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jumbo shrimp

#54 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

there is a problem with rising feral or abandoned cats, I believe that.
And the man has the right to protect those which (people, animals) are on his private property.

so: he could get a pet, since he doesn't like cats how 'bout a little vulnerable doggie like a sh*tzu - then when the cats come over, he could actually shoot one; have animal control come over to pick it up; and defend his claim, the 'wild' cat, on his own property, was a danger to his lil doggie. Of course if he has young children, he wouldn't need the doggie for the claim: but hey, a lil sh*tzu can be nice for a Fam with ankle biters

He would need no license, but then he also could not do this off his own property: but then there is no real reason for him to do this off his own property.

Hey, I used to be a cat owner and loved her dearly, but this wild problem is a problem, and there is no 'owner' for any court issues.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#55 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:48 PM

Your implication that only folks who have watched a mother bobcat bring up her kittens can make an intelligent point on this issue is a fallacious appeal to authority.

That's not my implication; that's your inference, and a fallacious one at that.

But I do maintain that it's considerably superior to clicking on Google.

To show you the impact of your words on others let me direct them back at you. Make your claims without logical fallacies "and I just might start to take your assertions seriously."

Frankly, my dear . . ..  You do know how this quote ends?
Posted Image

#56 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

waterpanther, on Mar 11 2005, 02:48 AM, said:

That's not my implication; that's your inference, and a fallacious one at that.

But I do maintain that it's considerably superior to clicking on Google.

To show you the impact of your words on others let me direct them back at you. Make your claims without logical fallacies "and I just might start to take your assertions seriously."

Frankly, my dear . . ..  You do know how this quote ends?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in·fer·ence    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (nfr-ns)
n.

The act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true.
The act of reasoning from factual knowledge or evidence.

Something inferred.
Usage Problem. A hint or suggestion: The editorial contained an inference of foul play in the awarding of the contract. See Usage Note at infer.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Main Entry: in·fer·ence
Pronunciation: 'in-f&-r&ns
Function: noun
1 : the act or process of inferring; specifically : the act of passing from one proposition, statement, or judgment considered as true to another whose truth is believed to follow logically from that of the former
2 : something inferred; especially : a proposition arrived at by inference —see also permissive presumption at PRESUMPTION
3 : the premises and conclusions of a process of inferring

Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
im·pli·ca·tion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (mpl-kshn)
n.
The act of implicating or the condition of being implicated.
The act of implying or the condition of being implied.
Something that is implied, especially:
An indirect indication; a suggestion.
An implied meaning; implicit significance.
An inference. See Usage Note at infer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
impli·cative adj.
impli·cative·ly adv.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: im·pli·ca·tion
Pronunciation: "im-pl&-'kA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : the act of implicating : the state of being implicated
2 : the act of implying : the state of being implied
3 : something implied

Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

implication

n 1: something that is inferred (deduced or entailed or implied); "his resignation had political implications" [syn: deduction, entailment] 2: a meaning that is not expressly stated but can be inferred; "the significance of his remark became clear only later"; "the expectation was spread both by word and by implication" [syn: significance, import] 3: an accusation that brings into intimate and usually incriminating connection 4: a logical relation between propositions p and q of the form `if p then q'; if p is true then q cannot be false [syn: logical implication, conditional relation] 5: a relation implicated by virtue of involvement or close connection (especially an incriminating involvement); "he was suspected of implication in several robberies"

_________
http://www.nizkor.or...ures/fallacies/
_________
I made no inference; I did not accept your propositions as true.  As my third example of definitions of implication demonstrates, implication and inference do have related definitions, so I understand your confusion.  

Like it or not, all texts have implications, yours included.  I simply pointed one of them out.  

The fact that you respond to other posters with hostility and apparently believe that makes you an effective conversationalist amuses me immensely.  

Still, perhaps the above definitions and the site on logical fallacies will help keep you from making me laugh so hard in the future.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#57 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

Skinny & Scrawny

So, this hunter is concerned about WILD cats harming the WILD birds that he attracts to his property.  Me thinks Mr. Hunter man has an ulterior motive for wanting to make it legal for persons with a "small game license" to kill cats.  Surprised he does not include squirrels and racoons in his quest to protect the WILD birds he deliberately attracts to his property.  Perhaps it is already legal for him to shoot them.

#58 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:47 PM

Those are already covered under the laws dealing with varmints.

Edited by G1223, 11 March 2005 - 07:52 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Animals, Cats, Open Season, Wisconsin

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users