7 replies to this topic

#1 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 02:17 AM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/896267.asp

Apparently, it was of a pulmonary embolism.
I saw a tribute to him on ABC News actually, and I'm glad that the other networks are recognizing him.

He was a very good reporter.  He will be missed.

Posted Image

{{{{{{Bloom's family}}}}]

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 27 August 2012 - 02:27 PM.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 02:30 AM

NBC is my network for network news. I sometimes watch weekend Today, and it's kind of been like David Bloom was at least an acquaintance, so frequently was his face in my living room the past ten years. I had CNN on and was reading the crawl and -- bam -- there was the announcement. It was really a sucker punch. NBC did a very nice tribute this evening. As Tom Brokaw said, losing his collegue helped him share the grief of all the families and friends who have lost loved ones in this war.

Cardie  :(
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 02:32 AM

That's too bad.:(
Posted Image

#4 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 02:39 AM

I remember when David Bloom and I used to have dinner together.

He was the White House correspondent on Brokaw's Nightly News for years, right through Clinton's impeachment, the last election, 9/11 (he reported live from the WTC), and Middle East peace deal after peace deal after peace deal. And so when I'd get back from class, or be in the middle of writing an essay, and wanted to know what was going on, he was one of the many folks who let me know.

If anything, I always enjoyed his newscasts. He's being hailed as an innovator in the field for the modified M88 tank recovery vehicle he had refit in order to allow him to do live reports from the field on the move in Iraq. I believe they've taken to calling it the 'Bloom-mobile'. Very cool stuff.

Lately I've turned more to the BBC than NBC for news (better website). But I'll certainly miss seeing him when I do turn to NBC News.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#5 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:30 AM

I was quite saddened to hear of his death. He was only 39 years old and leaves behind a wife and three daughters. :(

Edited by MrsRhade, 07 April 2003 - 06:31 AM.

#6 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:04 AM

I saw the tribute done for him on MSNBC, and the guy was all heart, and he knew his stuff. I think we're all saddened by this loss, and nobody can replace what he did for us, by keeping us informed during this crisis.

Godspeed David Bloom. May you reach your final resting place, free of incident.

Rommie

#7 SparkyColaKid

SparkyColaKid
  • Islander
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:12 AM

Details for his memorial service can be found here

According to the article more than 25,000 emails from people expressing their shock and sympathy have been sent to his family. He will be sorely missed.

I couldn't help but think while watching the scenes of cheering Iraqi citizens...just a few more days and he too would have been reporting from the center of  Baghdad.

Edited by SparkyColaKid, 11 April 2003 - 05:15 AM.

Duke of Clarence: Revolution is like the pox. It spreads from person to person.
William Wilberforce: I bow to my honorable friend's superior knowledge and experience in all matters regarding the pox.

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 08:03 AM

That's really too bad. He was a great reporter. :(

Edited by The Sisko, 11 April 2003 - 08:04 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Journalism, David Bloom

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users