101 replies to this topic

#1 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 08:33 PM

Godeskian, on Feb. 05 2003,10:24, said:

There was a picture in the Metro newsppaer yesterday of the shuttle fromm orbit taken by Ramon, it does show a pair of gashes on the left wing.
I saw this picture too. It is the left wing, but from top. The impact was below the wing and NASA claims that the shuttle doesn't have any equipment that could take a photo of that area.

What is WRONG with people?

I'm not sure I want this society to have any future. Maybe that statement should be ignored, because I'm crying again as I type this... but I mean it right now, and I'm sorry for that.

{{{{{Norville}}}}}

We all have different triggers. What you find so tragic other compare to car crashes, and they go directly to discuss it from economic point of view.
Ramon's wife said today how angry she is with all those rumors flying around. I won't even waste time on writing them.

Point is, that there is nothing wrong with people. They are different, they care about different things and they are ignorant in some of them (we all are). Or they might be just wrong. Or you and I are. The only thing that is different is that we suddenly took a pause, and the world around us didn't, and we have a strange look at it.                  

But it is not the people or the world that changed, just our perspective. I guess you tell yourself something like "the people in the time Apollo launched had more vision". I don't think so. They had many different opinions, just like toady. They just didn't have CNN polls and internet to spread wild conspiracy theories.

Enmar

Edited by Cait, 24 September 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#2 ElJay

ElJay

Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:46 AM

Just got kicked off the net and had to re-boot.  As I brought up my browser, a Yahoo headline caught my eye.  Minutes before it's scheduled landing in Florida (8 AM Central Time), NASA lost contact with the shuttle Columbia.  Please pray for the crew that they will have a safe landing?  It was just seventeen years ago this week that we lost another crew of brave men and women.  Please God - not again.

I'm actually in tears right now - I'm going to go glue myself to the tv to find out what has happened.

US VETERAN AND PROUD OF IT!

Chivalry is a matter of both deeds and words.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:50 AM

Oh man.

I hope they're okay.

Posted Image

#4 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:56 AM

It's still on the news now, even though they're not being very helpful.
Alexandria

Beka: They say it takes a minute to find something special in a person, an hour to appreciate them, and day to love them but it takes an entire life to forget them.
Tyr: Beka I wish that I could explain...
Beka: Forget it Tyr

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:57 AM

No they aren't.

I think US news sucks.

Posted Image

#6 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:59 AM

At times it can, this is one of those times.
Beka: They say it takes a minute to find something special in a person, an hour to appreciate them, and day to love them but it takes an entire life to forget them.

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:03 AM

and those cheesy nbc *^&%%&s.  I mean how can they start talking terrorism in the same breath that they are saying it's premature.

It's irresponsible I tell you.   :angry:

Posted Image

#8 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:05 AM

I know, I hope that this is just a true mishap, and hopefully everyone is okay.

#9 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:06 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Feb. 01 2003,17:03, said:

and those cheesy nbc *^&%%&s. I mean how can they start talking terrorism in the same breath that they are saying it's premature.

It's irresponsible I tell you. :angry:
I think they're just trying to despell that rumor, before it gets started.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#10 Bemused_Duck

Bemused_Duck

The English Bekaneer.

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:07 AM

This is not looking good, guys. :(

The BBC are currently reporting that multiple vapour trails were seen in the skies above Texas where only one is normally seen when a shuttle comes in to land. NASA has started various search-and-rescue missions around Dallas and Fort Worth.

Breaking news - NASA has just said that there is no chance that the shuttle could have made a successful landing.....

My thoughts are with the families of the astronauts at the moment, and I'm sure that I am not alone here.

I think that this just emphasises that going into space is still a very risky business, and should not be regarded as a routine event.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:09 AM

CBS is doing a better job than NBC.  They have an eye witness.

You know I don't EVER get up this early on a Saturday and at about 6 (pacific) I just woke up.

:(

Some people are talking about how the crew cabin could have detached and they were mostly through the heat and some of them could have made it.

I sure hope so.

Posted Image

#12 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:10 AM

My thoughts are with the families and astronauts on board. Hopefully we will find out more soon. Until then hopefully they can do a search and rescue.

#13 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:14 AM

Posted by Lil
CBS is doing a better job than NBC.  They have an eye witness.

Thanks Lil, I'm going to go take a look.

My mother woke me up to see this, I was still in bed, I usually sleep in on saturdays.

#14 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:19 AM

9:17 AM..Columbia is gone..debris falling over east Texas..

One hour , 17 minutes ago..picutres coming out of a Dallas news camera.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:38 AM

Residents under the flight path, in Dallas, north east Texas area report a "loud bang" at the time Mission control lost contact with Columbia.  reports say that there was no unusual telemetry prior to the loss of contact.  there was a comment of two about an an oddity in tire pressure..but that is, at this time, apparently considered as to having anything to do with the breakup of the shuttle.

SAR teams in Dallas have been put on alert, and residents are being advised to stay away from any debris due to the health dangers the fuel used poses.

Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 ElJay

ElJay

Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:39 AM

Yeah - I just saw the video footage.  That does not look good.  I doubt there could be any survivors if the shuttle broke up at 50 miles.  I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened?  D**n.  At times like this I almost hate the American news service.  I'd almost rather not know....  Seeing it over and over again is bad enough for us - imagine what those poor families will go through in the next few weeks.  That was one of the worst things about the Challenger explosion - reporters swarmed the family members as the tragedy happened and shoved mics in their faces to get "eye witness" reactions.  They will be in my prayers, as will the astronauts.
US VETERAN AND PROUD OF IT!

Chivalry is a matter of both deeds and words.

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:47 AM

The family members were all gathered at Flordia to greet the shuttle upon landing.

I am just sitting here shaking and praying of those aboard.

Though I know that there is no hope...

May the Divine hold them safe...

Blessed Be

Posted Image

#18 StarGazer

StarGazer

... --- ... ... --- ...

• Islander
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:48 AM

Those poor astronauts, my prayers go out to them and their families.  :(
Posted Image

#19 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:50 AM

Another sad day to be alive...I hate how my life is marked with all these events.

My prayers go out.  Since that really is all I can do.

-Dan

My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:52 AM

I had just gotten up and turned on the TV to catch some news, when I saw the report on Fox News that NASA had lost ocntact with the shuttle.  Then I cam down here to my computer and logged.  In a couple of minutes my wife called me back upstairs with the comments about the coverage...... and I began to get that sick feeling that this was more than serious.

This is unreal.....

"Ae -esteliach nad... estelio han. Estelio ammen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NASA, Columbia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users