101 replies to this topic

#41 Bemused_Duck

Bemused_Duck

The English Bekaneer.

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:04 PM

Bemused_Duck, on Feb. 01 2003,15:07, said:

I think that this just emphasises that going into space is still a very risky business, and should not be regarded as a routine event.
I think that what I meant here is that, because of the great success that the space shuttle programme has had with it's flights, it has become very easy to think that a flight into space is an everyday and risk-free venture. And that it, unfortunately, takes something like this for us to realise that that is far from the truth.....

But these things sometimes happen, and, as Christopher has so rightly pointed out, there is no reason why the flights shouldn't continue and be expanded upon as a result of this.

I do it for the joy it brings.....

#42 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:06 PM

RPITA, on Feb. 01 2003,16:51, said:

Neroon, on Feb. 01 2003,16:44, said:

My dream has been to go watch an actual shuttle launch in person...... damned if I will ever be able to do that now.
Neroon, there's no reason to give up on your dream. We'll figure out what happened and we'll be back in space. I've had friends at launches before. AFTER Challenger. Shuttle Commander Eileen Collins is a member of a women's pilot group I belong to. She's invited members of our group to go to her launches. It'll happen, but you'll have to be patient. But dreams are worth waiting for, right?

{{{Neroon}}}

Anna
I know....and I have always been a rather emotional person. Maybe that's why Lil and I get alogn so well despite our differences. ;)

But while this is not exactly close to home, not in the sense I personally knew anyone aboard Columbia, the space program is something I have linked my dreams to so often that I feel its pains when such things happen.

"Ae ś-esteliach nad... estelio han. Estelio ammen."

#43 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:07 PM

oh {{{{{{{{{Neroon}}}}}}}

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#44 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:09 PM

Neroon, on Feb. 01 2003,17:06, said:

I know....and I have always been a rather emotional person. Maybe that's why Lil and I get alogn so well despite our differences. ;)
One reason of many.

I suspect it's just a matter of your impeccable taste.  ;)

Posted Image

#45 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:12 PM

Damn :(  I just heard about this at Blimpie's of all places.  I have been running errands all morning and was in there getting lunch when they turned on the tv and there it was on CNN.  It's incredibly sad and I actually rushed home to see what more was on TV as I didn't stick around to get the details.  My thoughts and prayers with the families.  It's so hard.
It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#46 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:12 PM

:( :( :(

May their families make it through this difficult, horrible time.

It's so very sad....

Kathy :(

"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#47 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:18 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Feb. 01 2003,17:09, said:

One reason of many.

I suspect it's just a matter of your impeccable taste.  ;)
Well, you ARE a redhead....aren't you?

#48 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:20 PM

But while this is not exactly close to home, not in the sense I personally knew anyone aboard Columbia, the space program is something I have linked my dreams to so often that I feel its pains when such things happen.
Neroon, you and I are almost the same age (I just checked your profile). We all grew up with the space program. I grew up in the Air Force and my Mom woke us up every single time there was a launch or reentry. No matter where in the world we were living. It's part of our generation's identity, so it's a big, big thing when something like this happens. It just is.

After years of dealing with fighter pilots, and other pilots for that matter, the mindset of people who get into this line of work is that they really DO know and understand the risks in what they do. In fact, I would say that some embrace it. The other part of the mindset is that they do not want the program to stop if there's some tragedy. Accidents happen when you're dealing with incredibly complex machinery/electronics. Find out what happened, fix it, and then get back in the air. And that's what we need to do. And people like you and me will encourage them to do that. We can't see America NOT in space. We can't see America NOT leading the way in this regard. Right?

So, I understand what you're feeling. Trust me, I do. I'm just not that emotional, but that's not to say emotion is bad. It just is, and everyone grieves in their own way. And there's nothing wrong with that.

{{{Neroon}}}
{{{Everyone who's grieving}}}

Anna

#49 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:25 PM

*sigh*  I got up this morning, and my mom asked if I had been listening to the radio this morning.  I knew right then something had happened, but had no idea what.

So she told me, and naturally, I came online to find out as many details as I could.  

Its sad.  So close to home, and yet so far.  Another one of those days you'll never forget.  Its a terrible loss, for the poor families of the astronauts, for all of us.

I'd like to believe that in the end of all this, some good will be wrought from such a tragedy.... that somehow we'll manage to rip some victory out of the dark hands of death that snatched away 7 of the world's so called "best and brightest".  I just don't know where to look right now.... I'm numb.

I guess, all I can say is a prayer for the astronauts and their families, and once again, relight a candle of hope.  Hope that in the end, we'll find a suitable memorial for the 7 that were lost.  Just... Hope.

#50 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:26 PM

Christopher, on Feb. 01 2003,18:58, said:

Hmm, you have a point.  I believe space travel will continue, but maybe the STS program won't be able to carry the sole weight of it anymore -- and maybe it shouldn't.  We're well overdue for the next generation of orbiters.  I believe the project to develop a reusable space plane is already well underway, and hopefully more effort will be put into that in the future.
Maybe they could dust off some of the old Areospace plans, and adapt them to make a space plane. But the problem is the budget, most people see the space program as a waste of time and money, this will only add futher fuel to those people's arguements. :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#51 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:27 PM

If there is any good to come out of this, then people will have to accept that Nasa needs funding to stop cutting corners

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#52 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:33 PM

Oh, gods... not to sound selfish, but I'm long since tired of getting early-morning bad news. *sniffle*

I had tech difficulties last night; it looked as if the cable had gone out, but I wasn't certain that it wasn't the equipment on the fritz instead. So I went to the TV this morning (8 AM PST) to check... and it was working, and I was hit with news reports on this.

I was just sitting there with my eyes wide, saying things like "Oh no, please, not again..." Also, yes, terrorism did pop into mind, but I dismissed it pretty quickly.

So close to the January 28th anniversary of CHALLENGER. And spookily, COLUMBIA's 28th mission. Sigh. Poor old gal.

What gets me is that on the morning of the 28th, I made a point of pausing to remember the CHALLENGER crew again, reciting their names to myself in silent "prayer". I hadn't really done that for a while. What moved me to do it again now? I haven't a clue...

I hope that we don't stop flying for 2 years, as happened in 1986. I also hope that we finally learn to use a vehicle other than the shuttle, because it's a long-standing problem that we've put all of our space eggs into one basket with overreliance upon the "space truck". I have no interest in going into the human vs. robotic space exploration debate all over again (I had enough of that battle after CHALLENGER, and I'm *still* tired). However, I don't think it bodes well for the ISS. Will we go with that? Will we build another shuttle? Oh, joy, another few years of hostile debate and reconstruction of the space program... it was such fun back in 1986 and after...

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#53 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:34 PM

Just like with Apollo1 and Challenger, this will underscore just how dangerous this profession really is.

As to the space program, I wish I could remember the exact quote.  It's from an episode of "Babylon 5" which makes my inability to recall all the more stirking. :D.

In any event, Sinclair is aked about why they persisted in getting the station built after the first three were destroyed and the fourth lost.  He replies somethign to the effect that we keep doing it until we get it right.  In spite of the loss and the emotional impact it will wring out of so many, we'll learn from it and we will improve with it.  In the mean time, we all have to be careful to keep those emotions in check. ;)

#54 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:34 PM

Godeskian, on Feb. 01 2003,19:27, said:

If there is any good to come out of this, then people will have to accept that Nasa needs funding to stop cutting corners
The space progam doesn't have the national drive it had in the 60s, and 70s. It's sad that, the defense budget is three times what the space budget is, and people aren't seeing the benefits of it in real life, that much any more. :(

But it's possible that, this isn't the result of a lowered budget, from what it sounds like, the shuttle might've been hit, or the problem with their lift off might've also have caused the break up.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#55 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:36 PM

Hey, Norville!  Nice to see another Babyloniac here. :D

They can't stop for two years liek they did before.  There is currently a crew of three on the ISS that needs to be relieved in a matter of months.  THere has to be at least ONE more flight and soon.

#56 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:40 PM

Just saw the news...

:(   So tragic.   :(

Jill

I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#57 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:41 PM

Neroon, on Feb. 01 2003,19:36, said:

Hey, Norville!  Nice to see another Babyloniac here. :D

They can't stop for two years liek they did before.  There is currently a crew of three on the ISS that needs to be relieved in a matter of months.  THere has to be at least ONE more flight and soon.
There's a Russian supply ship, scheduled to go up Sunday, so those people aren't going to be abandoned. ;)

#58 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:44 PM

I'm so heart broken. I've been a fan of the shuttle program since Columbia first took off in 1981. This is truly a sad day for America as well as the shuttle program.

The lost astronauts and their families are in my prayers.

As for the space station, if push comes to shove, they do have  an emergency Soyuz (spl?) module, that would enable the station occupants to come back to Earth.

#59 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:50 PM

May God embrace these travellers and may his mercy come upon the familes of those who have made a trip to that which lies beyond.

Not much else to be said

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#60 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:50 PM

This is just awful tragic news.

My symapthies go out to all involved.

Shaun

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NASA, Columbia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users