Crime Punishment Scott Peterson Death Penalty

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

Can't say I'm surprised -- and good on the judge!

Judge upholds death sentence for Scott Peterson
By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer
Last Updated 10:15 am PST Wednesday, March 16, 2005
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) - Scott Peterson will be sent to California's death row after a judge upheld a jury's recommendation that he be sentenced to death for the slayings of his wife and her fetus.

Peterson, 32, learned his fate after San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Alfred A. Delucchi denied a request by his attorney for a new trial.

In upholding the jury's recommendation, the judge found that the killings "were cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

"The court is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Scott Lee Peterson, is guilty of first-degree murder" and second degree, Delucchi said.

"The factors in aggravation are so substantial when compared to the factors of mitigation that death is warranted."

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

For a while I was ready to shoot him myself, just to get him off the TV.  

That guy'll definitely be no loss to the world...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

He'll most likely die of old age on death row before they get around to killing him.

~Red

#4 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:25 PM

^Possibly, but at least it makes a statement that we as a society don't tolerate this type of behavior.

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:52 PM

Too nad they don't put death row inmates in the general population. As a baby killer he wouldn't last a week in prison.

Can't wait until they put this rabid dog down for good...my bad, didn't mean to insult dogs with rabies...even they are better then peterson.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

The verdict was not a surprise. Nor the penalty.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Mar 16 2005, 09:52 PM, said:

Can't wait until they put this rabid dog down for good

This is still about justice right? not dehumanising someone to justify vengeance?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

LORD of the SWORD
Too nad they don't put death row inmates in the general population. As a baby killer he wouldn't last a week in prison.

It remains to be seen where they will place him in the prison. He will go through many interviews as they process him. That will determine the level of security he will have provided.  But being in a a secure area doesn't mean that at the first chance he won't be shanked by another inmate during his lifetime.  Perhaps he'll score a cell next to Charlie.

~Red

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 16 2005, 02:21 PM, said:

This is still about justice right? not dehumanising someone to justify vengeance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He dehumanized himself.  I don't believe in the death penalty as a deterrent I believe in it as a straight out punishment for some types of crimes.

Lil
Posted Image

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:48 PM

Fair enough, and I respect that postion Lil,

but when I see someone referred to as a rabid dog, and people hoping he's murdered in his jailcell, i have to wonder if it's justice they want, or vengeance.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

I don't want him murdered in his jail cell because I don't want anyone getting in trouble for it.  Also I think referring to him as a rabid dog is an insult to dogs.

Lil
Posted Image

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

I'm afraid that this is one of those cases which I really have no knowledge about other than what was posted on Exisle, because it wasn't even backpage news in the UK.

So i'll take your word for that.

btw, as an aside (cause i'm a moron and only just noticed,) I love the Tyr Anaduckie  :lol:

Edited by Steven_Q, 16 March 2005 - 06:54 PM.

Defy Gravity!

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:56 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 16 2005, 03:54 PM, said:

btw, as an aside (cause i'm a moron and only just noticed,) I love the Tyr Anaduckie  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The impulse to filk has been upon me and I'm trying to resist  but it may be futile...;)

Lil
Posted Image

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:59 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 17 2005, 12:56 AM, said:

Steven_Q, on Mar 16 2005, 03:54 PM, said:

btw, as an aside (cause i'm a moron and only just noticed,) I love the Tyr Anaduckie  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The impulse to filk has been upon me and I'm trying to resist  but it may be futile...;)

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't resist the urge, I miss Lilfilks.

Defy Gravity!

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

I can see where rabid dog fits for this man. He cut out of the dead body of his wife the unborn child and allowed it to die as well.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#16 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:00 AM

^ Where do you get your facts?  I agree Scott is awful, but he did not cut the baby out of Lacy.  It was expelled as gases from the body decomposing forced it from the womb.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:11 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 16 2005, 06:52 PM, said:

I don't want him murdered in his jail cell because I don't want anyone getting in trouble for it.  Also I think referring to him as a rabid dog is an insult to dogs.

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why I apologized for insulting rabid dogs...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:44 AM

Sorry I remember it being said that it was pulled or cut from her. But I will accept that I did not keep up with this case.

TANSTAAFL

#19 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:41 AM

He was transfered to San Quentin this morning. There are 643 people ahead of him on death row.

#20 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

Steven_Q, on Mar 16 2005, 10:21 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He has already proven by himself that he is no longer human.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment, Scott Peterson, Death Penalty

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users