55 replies to this topic

#41 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:18 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Mar 18 2005, 07:55 AM, said:

I'm curious, do you think Hitler and those that ran the death camps are "human"? I certainly don't.

Always your prerogative, but consider that Hitler didn't think of himself as a monster. He thought of himself as a visionary trying to solve what he saw as a genuine problem. (at least according to Mein Kampf)

And lest we forget, he's not the first, wasn't the last, to reach to extreme violence as a solution to his problems.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#42 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:58 AM

That's the point though. Truly evil (to use a blanket term) people always believe that they are doing good, whether from mental illness or simply because their minds are warped. People generally don't do things just to be evil. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#43 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

Well as a Game Master I have found the motivation for the villian to be easiest from the view point of the flawed hero. That being a man/woman who sees his/her actions as justified or even honorable.

In the case of Peterson I think we are dealing with a more socipathic rather psychopathic personality. He was inconvienced with a wife and soon a child. So he took care of them.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#44 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:16 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 18 2005, 08:18 AM, said:

but consider that Hitler didn't think of himself as a monster. He thought of himself as a visionary trying to solve what he saw as a genuine problem. (at least according to Mein Kampf)

And lest we forget, he's not the first, wasn't the last, to reach to extreme violence as a solution to his problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you saying that because Hitler didn't consider himself a monster that makes him not a monster? LOL.

Well, I guess we can let everyone out of prison then...since they don't consider themselves guilty.  :sarcasm:
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#45 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

GiGi, on Mar 18 2005, 12:39 AM, said:

Cheile, on Mar 17 2005, 10:06 PM, said:

GiGi, on Mar 17 2005, 10:59 AM, said:

^why is that?  Any facts or evidence or just a gut feeling?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just wondering if you were asking LoP or me that question :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opps, sorry, I was asking LoP way his son thought the girlfriend did it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea. Problably a feeling. I've stayed away from it as much as possible. :)

#46 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Mar 18 2005, 07:16 PM, said:

Are you saying that because Hitler didn't consider himself a monster that makes him not a monster? LOL.

Did I say that? no

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#47 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:13 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 18 2005, 02:08 PM, said:

Did I say that? no

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the impression I got. It seemed like that was exactly what you were saying. Otherwise, what difference would it make whether he considered himself a monster or not?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#48 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

Then you got the wrong impression. My point, was that you consider him a monster, so do many others, but should public opinion be the final arbiter of 'humanity'

I don't think so.

That was my point, my only one in that post.

Defy Gravity!

#49 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 18 2005, 02:28 PM, said:

Then you got the wrong impression. My point, was that you consider him a monster, so do many others, but should public opinion be the final arbiter of 'humanity'

I don't think so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My apologies then...

As for the point you WERE making...That's an interesting question, and probably deserves its own thread.

Should public opinion be the final judge of "Humanity"...hmmm. My first question would be who else is there? Looking at the facts of any situation, or crime, who else is there to determine whether a person is a monster or not? The obvious answer would probably be GOD...and I've asked him that question...unfortunately, he has yet to get back to me...  ;)

Seriously though, who else is there, if not the public?

#50 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

Steven_Q, on Mar 18 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

I don't think so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then who's opinion should be sought?

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#51 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

LotS said:

I'm curious, do you think Hitler and those that ran the death camps are "human"? I certainly don't.

Well, see... I do think that humans who participate in evil acts are still humans. They don't suddenly change species because they do evil. A whole range of behaviors encompass being "human", and some of those behaviors are horrific. That doesn't mean those behaviors should be accepted; that's not what I'm saying. I am, however, saying that we shouldn't lose sight of how evil humans can be (and still be part of our species), along with the good. I have a problem with "dehumanizing" the humans we hate, because they *are* still human; if we pretend they're not, that absolves us of understanding the range of human behavior and how badly behaved we can be, and therefore, can we really *change* the way we behave if we refuse to accept that humans can behave that way and still be human?

Hmm. Does that make any sense at all? I'm trying really hard here. ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#52 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

^

Actually very well stated, Norville.

On the other hand, I think we can agree that some of these individuals are outside the bounds of civilized humanity.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#53 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:07 PM

Excellent post Norville, it does a good job of summarizing my feelings on the matter.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#54 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:28 PM

I have often said and I see it every day that their are people yet their actions are such that trying to explain them as "human" seems misguided.

A Man walks into the home of his girlfriend and just kills them. He had no fight with her and gave no clues as to why but a family of five was dead.

Woman raises her child in a room where the floor is covered in fecees. Why becasue the child whined too often.

A woman decides because her husband wanted to leave a unhappy relationship that he deserved to be stabbed to death.

A child decides that another child's shoes are nice so he shoots him and takes them.

I sometimes think people forget civilzation is a veneer rather than a actual wood.

TANSTAAFL

#55 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:43 AM

I was wondering if we couldn't declare convicted murderers on death row as being in a permanently vegetative state and let them die of natural causes by starving and dehydrating them to death.

#56 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

Sorry crual and unusal punishment. They might get out of jail for trying to do it. Personally I think making them into walking breathing organ donars would be better. Think of all those people who could be saved. When we have to take the last sustaining organs we harvest the blood ,bone marrow,eyes.... turn what cannot be used into compost.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment, Scott Peterson, Death Penalty

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users