nASA Columbia

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:32 PM

((((( Bluetopaz ))))) Welcome to the board ... this is a good place to be when sad news hits.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of those lost. True heroes each and every one.

#22 Jacmac

Jacmac

Auld Dragon Lady

• Islander
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:43 PM

Thoughts and prayers.  What terribly sad news - it was on Sky here this afternoon

Jac

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#23 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:01 PM

Bluetopaz, welcome to the board. Like Kimmer said, this is a good place to be when something sad happens. Ex Isle isn't just a board, it's a real community.

{{{Bluetopaz}}}

Anna

Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#24 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:42 PM

Damn  :(  I was hoping that that would never happen again.  First the Challenger, not now Columbia.  Rest in peace to all who died.  They almost made it home.  Time to put the flag at half staff once again... :(

{{{{{Columbia's astronauts and families}}}}}

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#25 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:59 PM

I can't even begin to tell you how upset I am by this news. There is no specific reason why; I simply am.

My only consolations are that there have been no deaths due to falling debris reported yet. That's all I have.

:pout:

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#26 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:18 PM

I had a filk habit back in the '80s; I collected filk convention / concert tapes. Unfortunately, most of my tapes are in storage, so I'm going to have to go without my old space-filk... but I remember that there was a good one for COLUMBIA. (I found a joyful pre-accident one for CHALLENGER sometime in the late '80s; it had been recorded in '84 or so.) It was an early shuttle filk, "Fly, COLUMBIA!" The writer was Diana Gallagher, and the version I've heard was sung by Leslie Fish, for one.

"Fly, COLUMBIA!
Thunder toward tomorrow on an oxygen stream
Thunder toward tomorrow, fire flame and rocket song
Mark a new time of man, booster candles light the dawn
... etc." [I can't remember the rest...]
with "Thunder on! Thunder on!" at the end.

I wonder if I can find that online somewhere, since my lyric book is under piles of paper, books, boxes, whatever! *checks* Well, no, no lyrics online. It's got an album listing, though. *thinks about digging through the mess*

The filkers did lots of good space music, including CHALLENGER tributes. I hope there are still enough of them around, of the group I remember, to do some for COLUMBIA.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#27 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:25 PM

Hey all

Sorry I disappeared earlier, I intended to post more but my parents came home and I joined them watching TV

Here in Israel we’ve been following Columbia’s mission for 4.5 years. Since Ilan Ramon joined NASA, during his training, when he was assigned to this mission and when it was repeatedly delayed. Every problem made it to front pages and the launch was broadcasted live on all channels. In the last 16 days radio news included details like “everything onboard Columbia is fine and Ilan Ramon is asleep/working on the dust cloud project etc.” We’ve been following his family, his friends, we know everything that can be published about his outstanding military career. An entire country watched the launch and an entire country watched the explosion today.

As you know Israel is going through very hard times. It’s been a long while since we had good news. I think this is the reason people were so obsessed with this one piece of good news. It turned a very bad piece of news today.  :(

My heart is with the friends and families of the brave men and women that died today.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#28 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:36 PM

I remember when the Challenger exploded.  I came home from high school mid-terms to find my mom and brother in front of the TV.

This is just horrible.  My thoughts are with the astronauts' families.

Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#29 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

This is a terrible, sad day. My heart goes out to the families of those lost and to the entire NASA community.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#30 Taryn Wander'r

Taryn Wander'r

scott pilgrim's precious little lover

• Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

qwerty238, on Feb. 01 2003,19:01, said:

Makes you wonder if the risk is really worth it, doesn't it?
It's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Which makes it all the more sadder. These people were following a dream. Especially the four for whom it was a first.
:(

#31 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:46 PM

I never turned on the TV this morning and only checked my forum in Ex Isle so that I could get out and do errands before going to an early afternoon showing of "About Schmidt." After wards I went to get coffee at a shop where there was a tv and I could hear that they were talking about space shuttles, so I said to the server, "Is there some problem at NASA?" Of course everyone looked at me like I was tomorrow's groundhog just popped out of his hole.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of the astronauts here and in Israel.

Peace and Shalom to the dead.

Cardie

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#32 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:13 PM

Terribly sad news :( My thoughts with the families of the crewmembers, and with the investigators who now face the task of working out what went wrong.

#33 Rayhana

Rayhana
  • Islander
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:28 PM

Such an awful tragedy.  It's so hard to believe that this happened again.  

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those lost and to the NASA family as well.

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Brighter than a Jesus Night Light

• Islander
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:54 PM

Your dreams were to be among the stars
To gaze down at God's creation
And laugh at us who refused to soar.
We lost you today
The pain cannot be forgotten
But we must remember
That now you'll be with the stars forever
You'll always be looking down at us
And you'll laugh.
You lost your life following your dream
While most of us will never have a chance.

I guess that should have gone in Poetry section, but it fits in here as well.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Families if those lost}}}}}}}}}

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:00 PM

Seven again....

Seven who sailed and were lost....

*Sighs* :( :(

It was raining here about the time it went down.  Talk about irony and stuff. :( :(

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#36 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:18 PM

"Countdown" by Rush

The song was written by Rush about Columbia’s first launch in 1981; that they were invited to see by NASA.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#37 Ilisidi

Ilisidi

tantalizing...

• Islander
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:20 PM

{{{{{{{families of the astronauts}}}}}}}}

I'm still in shock.  They're saying now that they've discovered body parts around the debris sites.  This is such a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to all the families and with the astronauts themselves.

found this tidbit in the note section!  

Words of Zack RE Tyr: This is just one ex-writer speaking completely non-canonically, but in my mind the most fascinating thing about Tyr was that despite his breeding and socialization to be treacherous, opportunistic, and selfish, it was pretty clear that underneath it all, another aspect of Tyr's personality was to be gentle, loyal, and altruistic. We saw this most clearly in "Distant Drum," where with his memory gone Tyr's default mode was to protect the weak and risk his life for kludges, but it also surfaced in "Its Hour" with Tyr's obvious pride in and protectiveness toward Harper, and then in "All Too Human" (the title says it all), where Tyr is confused and enraged by his own compassion toward Harper. In my own mind at least, Tyr's growth as a character was ultimately to try and merge what was best about the Nietzscheans (energy, intelligence, never say die attitude) with what was best about humanity (empathy, altruism, connectedness with others.)As always, YMMV.

How I remember those days....

#38 Kaimia

Kaimia

Mystical Elf

• Islander
  • 699 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:21 PM

I was at work when I found out.  I'd randomly grabbed a sweatshirt this morning, and ended up with my "Kennedy Space Center" one.  A customer came in and remarked on the appropriatness of my attire.  Only then did I find out what had happened.   :(  

{{{{{{{{{Astronauts and family}}}}}}}}}}

Kai

"Sex is an evolutionary enigma." -Kai's biology textbook

Sed non culpa mea est! -Ovid

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.  Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!  -Algernon from The Importance of Being Earnest

#39 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 07:13 PM

I heard it on the radio this morning and heard them talking about Kalpala Chawla. Chawla was a graduate of the University of Colorado at Boulder, which is right near here. The have a good engineering program that has had 17 graduates go into space with Nasa. They also talked about another CU grad (who was on Challenger) they both had the same advisor.

I also hear that the you could hear it comming down in the town I used to live in when I lived in Texas.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Astronauts, families and friends}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Brighter than a Jesus Night Light

• Islander
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:16 AM

My mom and I watched it for a good twenty minutes, thinking that it was a tribute for the seven that dies seventeen years ago. I was nearly sick when I found out what we were really watching.

Damn.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nASA, Columbia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users