45 replies to this topic

#41 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:22 AM

Rayhana, on Feb. 01 2003,22:28, said:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those lost and to the NASA family as well.
Same here, Rayhana.  I was praying for the two men who were giving the news conference earlier---the flight director and the shuttle program manager, I believe.  One of them seemed at times to be almost ready to break down; the other seemed calmer, but he also appeared to me to be one of those quiet men whose grief is also deep and quiet, yet no less real, no less strong.

qwerty, I liked your poem quite a bit.  There's one I want to share also if I can find it---not one of my own, but one I saw at a museum which had a memorial to the crew of the Challenger, and also to the three Apollo astronauts who died earlier.

Peridot

#42 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:41 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved in this terrible disaster.  

I found a very nice tribute to the crew of STS-107 Here and thought I'd share it with you guys.

Banapis

#43 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 08:21 AM

We live in Mississippi, and my husband had gone outside that morning to see if he could see it pass over on its way to landing. When he didn't see it, he knew something was wrong. We had been watching cartoons on Fox, and he turned it to a NBC station and they had just started broadcasting the news. We just sat there in shock.

My daughter's wedding shower was at 2 that afternoon, and everyone was in shock about it. My heart goes out to Israel, and the other families of the 7 who perished.

They said something that happened at takeoff, something hitting the left wing, may have contributed to the breakup on reentry.

#44 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 03:03 PM

John Denver wrote a song after Challenger called 'flying for me'

it's very appropriate for this incident as well

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#45 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 09:31 PM

Okay, I found the poem I was looking for.  There is a small space museum in our state, and they have a memorial to the crew of the Challenger, and also to the three astronauts who died in the launch pad fire in the Apollo program.

Part of the memorial is a pillar set up outside the building, and on it is this poem:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high unsurpassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

-- Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee

The site I found it on mentioned that this poem was apparently a favorite of Christa McAuliffe.

There was also a little information about the author of the poem---John Magee (I've seen it spelled McGee also) was a pilot serving in WWII and was killed during the war.  The information mentioned that he was an American serving with the RCAF.  I'd read before that he was a serviceman who died in action, and somehow always envisioned him as being in his thirties---maybe because of the sophistication of the poem.  But the site listed his age at the time of death---he was nineteen.  

Anyway, I wanted to share this.

Peridot

#46 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for sharing Peridot.

"They were flying for me, they were flying for everyone"  
"They were flying to see, a brighter day for everyone."
- John Denver, Flying for me.
:(

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nASA, Columbia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users