10 replies to this topic

#1 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:39 AM

After protest arrest, soldier's mother says, 'I'm fighting a war.'

CANTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- In her cluttered yellow house overlooking a serene pond, Alice Copeland Brown packs her latest box of goodies for the war front -- Oreo cookies, biscotti, Q-tips, goggles.

Then she taps out an e-mail to her son in Iraq.

"I'm going to be arrested tomorrow," she tells him.

From a tent somewhere in the desert comes the cryptic reply.

"That's nice, Mom," writes Army Maj. David Floyd. "Just keep protesting as long as you keep sending food."

I love it!!!

Here is the whole story - http://www.cnn.com/2...r.ap/index.html

PS we just watched "Savage Curtain"  &$%#@* Peace-nik Roddenberry made me cry AGAIN!

GIGI, who can hate the horrors of war, pray for peace and still feel compassion for the troops who fight.  All due to the serious brainwashing she received while watching Star Trek during the Vietnam war (which was also shown on TV -  seeing children like herself running terrified, naked from the horror that is war) at the tender age of seven years old.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:55 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Gigi}}}}}}}}}}}

Speaking of TOS, um, is there going to be a Geneite review of POTS.

Yes I know there are big things going on in the world. But....
Posted Image

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:59 AM

cool - will read article tomarrow after I get some sleep ;) :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:02 AM

Lil, I emailed Rhea, who signed up as Reviewer of that ep. I haven't gotten a response yet.  

I had a revelation about our name too - we should be the Gene-Knights!!  Champions of the ideals of Gene Roddenberry. (I recently saw in a thread here someone pointing out that the Genites were actually GenKnights as in Knights of Genetic Purity)

Anyway, we are in the last day of our paper production, so more on that later.  Break over!

Edited by chiron777, 07 April 2003 - 10:08 AM.

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:02 AM

Good for both of them. It's nice they can get along despite their vast differences in opinion.... :)
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#6 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:08 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 6 2003, 10:51 PM, said:

Good for both of them. It's nice they can get along despite their vast differences in opinion.... :)
^ and perhaps those differences are getting closer - this is a good bit:

"Scheduled to retire in April after 20 years, Floyd told his mother he had seen enough misery in Afghanistan to want to get out. Among other missions on his six-month posting in Kabul, he was one of the medics who treated the Canadians killed and wounded by an American bomber in a friendly fire incident.

Upon his return, Floyd said he was ready to settle back home with his wife and two young daughters and resume civilian life as a nurse at the Cooper Green hospital in Birmingham.

But with the call-up for Iraq duty, he was sent to a war zone again.

His latest deployment terrified his mother. And it convinced her that after years of "sideline" protesting for all sorts of causes _ going back to anti-segregation and Vietnam war protests -- it was time for her to get more deeply involved.

"I was a coward," Brown says, "until my son was sent to the front."

And so she threw herself into civil disobedience courses where she learned tips from veteran protesters: Never touch a police officer, hide small items of food in your clothing, write a lawyer's number in permanent ink on your arm.

She joined peace groups, including an Internet one called Military Families Speak Out. She started speaking at rallies, doing local radio interviews. She became a plaintiff in a lawsuit -- since dismissed -- charging that President Bush had illegally declared war without the proper consent of Congress.

But she also participated in town efforts to support the troops, going door-to-door on drives to collect war-bound goodies, and attending a town meeting to graciously accept a small symbolic flag from a veterans association. The flag, red and white with a blue star in the center, was presented to all 35 families in this town of 20,000 who have members in the military. It hangs in her front window near another small flag with the words "Stop the Slaughter."

<edited for spelling mistakes, good thing I am not the proofreader for our paper!!!>

Edited by chiron777, 07 April 2003 - 10:10 AM.

#7 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:17 AM

Well, I can mention something about presidental powers. The president can deploy troops for up to 80 days I think it is without a declaration of war from congress.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#8 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:27 PM

tennyson, on Apr 7 2003, 07:06 AM, said:

Well, I can mention something about presidental powers. The president can deploy troops for up to 80 days I think it is without a declaration of war from congress.
He can do it for 60 days under his authority as Commander in Chief.  

Relevant Text:

SEC. 5. (b)
Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 4(a)(1), whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States. Such sixty-day period shall be extended for not more than an additional thirty days if the President determines and certifies to the Congress in writing that unavoidable military necessity respecting the safety of United States Armed Forces requires the continued use of such armed forces in the course of bringing about a prompt removal of such forces.

The War Powers Act of 1973
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:56 PM

chiron777, on Apr 7 2003, 01:51 AM, said:

I had a revelation about our name too - we should be the Gene-Knights!!  Champions of the ideals of Gene Roddenberry. (I recently saw in a thread here someone pointing out that the Genites were actually GenKnights as in Knights of Genetic Purity)
I quit if we become "Gene-Knights."  

I am not a champion of the ideals of Gene Roddenberry, although I think the Gene-ites can accommodate that constituency...

Gene-ites as a title was always a play on the Genites.  That was on purpose - as part of our belonging to the universe of slipstream factionhood.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:14 PM

QT, I think we have a misunderstanding.  You have mail.

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:50 PM

Go, Mom! She's not the only one. My boss would never protest, I don't think, but she was a military wife and her son is a colonel on General Frank's staff, and she is SO against this war. As she put it, anyone who has seen firsthand the devastation wrought by war, both during and after, is not so quick to run and find one.

And Lil, *I* was supposed to do the Gene-ite review for PotS, only I screwed up programming the VCR  and only saw the second half. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  :eek:  :eek:  I'm hoping someone else will do PotS, and I can trade for a later ZackAsh episode.

Edited by Rhea, 07 April 2003 - 08:53 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anti-War, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users