Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Reaping what we sow

Bush Teri Shiavo Opinion

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Given the Way Bush has stepped in with the Schiavo case, would you still vote for Bush? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Given the Way Bush has stepped in with the Schiavo case, would you still vote for Bush?

1. Yes (10 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. No (26 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

3. Not sure (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:27 AM

Given the way Bush has stepped in where he shouldn't, namely with the Schiavo case...thus prolonging her suffering. IMO, and only my opinion, treating Terri worse then the prisoners of the Nazi death camps...would you still vote for him, if you knew he would do this?

I know I certainly wouldn't. I would've rather taken my chances with Kerry. Of course, that assuming that Kerry wouldn't have also acted like Bush has...I prefer to give Kerry the benefit of the doubt.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:30 AM

I didn't vote for him in the first place (although it was a hard choice). :p

This would have solidified my choice.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:31 AM

Josh, on Mar 21 2005, 03:30 AM, said:

I didn't vote for him in the first place (although it was a hard choice). :p

This would have solidified my choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, I forgot to add that option. My bad.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:36 AM

I didn't vote for him either.  I am mostly suspicious of most of the motives of the GOP.  But the state court in Florida looks pretty shady in the opposite direction.

I really don't know what to think anymore.  I just hope that the Federal judge that gets to hear this case can put it to rest once and for all.

BTW welcome to the DEM SIDE LotS!  :devil:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:37 AM

I think LotS is still conservative. ;) However, I think what has happened has gone FAR beyond being liberal or conservative.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#6 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:38 AM

^I know I just couldn't resist adding a twist on Darth Vader!  :p
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:38 AM

Josh, on Mar 21 2005, 03:37 AM, said:

I think LotS is still conservative. ;) However, I think what has happened has gone FAR beyond being liberal or conservative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh definately still conservative...just a conservative dem now...or is that a contradiction?  ;)  LOL

#8 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:40 AM

^ Not at all, you would be describing me.  Actually I always end up as a Libertarian on political tests. *shrug*

#9 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:43 AM

I normally vote republican, but this is a flagrant power play.

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

Or an option for people who *couldn't* vote for being too young, or a citizen of another country. That said, I wouldn't have voted for him if I could, before or after this travesty.

Edited by sierraleone, 21 March 2005 - 10:10 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

not an american, but I wouldn't have voted for Bush if you paid me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#12 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

You can be a conservative Dem... that's no problem.  I'm conservative in a lot of areas, and until the GOP cleans up some of their problems, I'll be a Dem. Heck, the sides are shifting around so much, things are getting blurry anyway.  The Dems seem to be becoming the party of fiscal responsibility now, fer instance.   And there really isn't all that much conservative about Bush.   He talks the talk, but he's barely walked even one step of the walk.  He's neo-conservative.  There's a big difference...

Anyway, I voted "no" even though I didn't vote for him in the first place.   Kerry was far from perfect, but when one guy's proven to be no good, I'll take a chance on the other 'un.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

I voted for him and I would again. The power play here is that we have a woman with problem where there is a serious question about the woman's ability to recover. (As a number of citizens see it)

If Bush does nothing the word is "Bush let that woman die." Which makes the situation difficult for the mid term elections.  Here Bush can and is likely to say once the situation has been resolved." We wanted to have a clear understanding the woman's situation before allowing her to die."

That way Bush is seen to have championed  for a clear understanding of the situation. I know I have said it before that I would like a neutral third party appointed by another court to step in look the evidence over make a call and let the higher court make it's ruling based on what that group comes up with.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

I didn't vote for him, either.

I don't see Kerry playing the little big man, part.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

G1223, on Mar 21 2005, 11:46 AM, said:

If Bush does nothing the word is "Bush let that woman die." Which makes the situation difficult for the mid term elections.  Here Bush can and is likely to say once the situation has been resolved." We wanted to have a clear understanding the woman's situation before allowing her to die."

And apparently all 19 previous Judges did nothing? No. This isn't Bush saying he wanted a clear understanding. This is Bush saying he didn't like the rulings and wants a "do over". And making like the previous 19 rulings never happened.

In addition, Bush might already have problems with mid term elections. Because I know that in the mid terms I will vote all Dem, based solely on what Bush did late last night. And I can't imagine I'm the only former republican feeling this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#16 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

Now here is where I am confused.  I keep hearing that there were nineteen judges involved in the Shiavo case, yet after reading document after document I see mostly Judge Greer involved.  I certainly have not seen as many as nineteen judges names connected to the cast.  Who are they?

I think they are counting that judges on the Florida Supreme Court decided not to hear the case.  They have not sat on a trial of the case only had it before them briefly.  I don't think that counts really.

I hate that the government is stepping in like this, but when the state courts start actiing like god who is the balance to that?  Did you see Boston Legal last night?  The episode was about a capitola punishment case were there could be some doubt of the person's guilt.  Questions were raised to the Texas Supreme court, but the judges were not going to look at the details of the case, they lorded over like deities on high.

I am not saying this is the case here for sure, or it is that way in Texas as I do not know.  But if it were to happen, what then?  Those were the questions that were being raised on Boston Legal.  It was a very good episode, even timely it would seem.

#17 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

Yes,  I would still vote for Bush.   I'm sorry but I think Terri Shiavo is still living since she can breathe and her heart is beating on its own.  She is only getting fed because that is one thing she can not do for herself.   We do not know what her wishes are.  Going by what her husband has said,  leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

~Red

#18 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Mar 21 2005, 03:27 AM, said:

thus prolonging her suffering. IMO, and only my opinion, treating Terri worse then the prisoners of the Nazi death camps...
Just to raise a point.  The Nazis starved people to slow deaths among other nasty things in the concentration camps.  What type of death is Shiavo suffering with the feeding tube removed?
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

RuReddy1, on Mar 21 2005, 06:59 PM, said:

She is only getting fed because that is one thing she can not do for herself.

it is one item on a very long list of things that she cannot do for herself. If life in it's totality is to be defined by a heartbeat then i have to admit i'm very glad I don't live in the US.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:41 PM

CJ sez: Just to raise a point. The Nazis starved people to slow deaths among other nasty things in the concentration camps. What type of death is Shiavo suffering with the feeding tube removed?

******* It's not an apt analogy, though.   The victims of the Holocaust were cognizant, and their bodies were active and needed nourishment.  They knew what was happening to them and could feel pain and feel cravings for food.  This woman is brain dead.  She will suffer nothing by having the feeding tube removed.  No hunger pangs, no longings, nothing.  Not even awareness.   You can check with Eskaminzim on this - she's far, far more expert than me - but supposedly it actually causes more pain (if they could register it) to force food into such people's systems than it does to withhold it.

I repeat what I said earlier:  if you think that she's cognizant enough to suffer from starvation, then imagine how much more cruel it would be to leave her in the state she's in - if she were cognizant - for years.  Unable to see, hear, speak, move.   It'd be a Johnny Got His Gun situation... and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.   The boredom itself would be the worst kind of torture.  If you've ever had to sit in a room for an hour with nothing to do, nothing to read, you know how antsy that can make you.  If that went on for years and years... it'd be hell.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you