Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Do you think Terri's case will sink Jeb?

Jeb Bush Florida Teri Schiavo

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

I mean, on one side you have people who, like myself, think Terri should be allowed to pass with dignity. These people are probably not too thrilled with Jeb Bush for trying to interfer in affairs he has no business being in. On the other side you have people who think Terri should be forced to be in a PVS for the rest of her life...who are now a little pissed that the Governor ISN'T breaking the law and trying to save her...

In short, he's managed to piss off BOTH sides...Not a good political move on his part.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:38 AM

i wouldn't vote for him if i were in Florida....for the sake of the fact that due to the Schindlers' whining he stuck his fingers into this in the first place.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:47 AM

I wish you would show some respect for the Schindlers. They aren't able to let go of their daughter. It's very sad and very tragic, but calling that whining is profoundly rude.  

The real tragedy in this mess is how people have been usurping this for political gain.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:17 AM

^

Agreed 100%. :)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#5 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:20 AM

Josh, tell me why i'm supposed to show respect for a couple who has demonized a man for trying to follow his wife's wishes.  and oh yes, let's not forget causing this circus in the first damn place by pulling in Jeb, Congress, half the courts on the East Coast AND the President.

all because they cannot accept fact--that their daughter is and has been all but technically dead since 1990.

given the spectacle they are continuing to cause, i feel they're whining.  if you disagree, fine.  but don't lecture me.

Edited by Cheile, 28 March 2005 - 03:20 AM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:30 AM

Josh, on Mar 28 2005, 07:47 AM, said:

I wish you would show some respect for the Schindlers. They aren't able to let go of their daughter. It's very sad and very tragic, but calling that whining is profoundly rude. 

The real tragedy in this mess is how people have been usurping this for political gain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I have a lot of sympathy for the Schindlers on a human level, I also get very angry at them when I consider the hell they've put all the other patients at the Florida hospice through whose last days have been made even more miserable by the freakshow camped outside.  At least one woman wasn't able to be at her grandfather's bedside for his death because of the security cordon in place, and I blame that directly on the Schindlers.

Edited by MuseZack, 28 March 2005 - 10:31 AM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

Her brain may be gone, but if her body is still capable of getting nourishment? I dunno now. Maybe we need new definitions of death?
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

Josh, on Mar 28 2005, 02:47 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Josh.  I concur.  I am terribly distressed by the criticism being leveled at parents and husband over something so deeply personal.  At a time when "sticking to their guns" on a matter of principle has got to be painful, I don't think we need to add to their pain.

Zack, on the one hand I agree completely that this situation has made the lives of others miserable.  On the other hand, as a parent, I think you might agree, or at least understand the sentiment that when it comes to your own child, no one else in the world actually matters.  Had this discussion with my son's dad recently.  He was trying to explain all about how doing this or that would make my son's school better, which would be better for my son.  I listened politely and then said - "YOU do that.  Someone has to be there with no other interest than MY son.  Someone has to be HIS champion."    Sure I'd like everyone's kid to be safe, secure, happy.  But when my own child is in jeopardy, its my own child that I have to be concerned about first and foremost, and if I'm lucky, I'll have a chance to help someone else in the process.  In this case - media circus or no, Terri's parents feel that they have to step in for their child.  I wish, sincerely, that they could let go, and see this with new eyes.  But they can't, and so, I have to have compassion for them.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

Yes, Handmaiden, but would you have compassion for them if your own son was lying in the next room in that hospice, dying, and could not even be wheeled outside to enjoy the last time he will ever see the trees blooming in his entire LIFE because of the Schindlers and what they've brought down to that hospice?  

The other 70 dying patients did not ask for this. They do not deserve this.  Their lives and their deaths are being made miserable because of this one family and their inability to let go..

If it was YOUR son who was being harmed by this circus becuase he couldn't get out to see his last spring, would your compassion for them be there then?

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

I would be pissed as heck if I were the parent of the other patients.  No doubt.  But as a parent of no patient at all, I've got compassion for all of the parents.  All I'm saying is that I can see how any parent would feel, given their relative position.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

It's a sad situation all around. :(  The ONLY people I'm ticked off at are the protestors and politicians who are using this family's suffering as a basis for tossing around their agendas.  :glare:

After Terri dies, watch how fast these...people....leave Terri's family high and dry.  :glare:

:barf:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#12 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

I hope it harmed his political career, as well as all who stuck their noses into this when they should not have. All the political and religious people that jumped in pushing their agenda. All the fanatics that are frightening in their actions. All the nuts who attempt to send their children in where they won't go. Etc... I hope all of them have been harmed and that those who followed them are now sitting back, wondering what kind of nuts they had listened to and followed.
I am not a religious person, but have religious friends and support their choice, but didn't we leave religious oppression behind when we came to the U.S.?

As for the parents, I do feel for their loss, but their loss happened 15 years ago, they just have not let go and that is not healthy.
As a parent myself, I would not do this to my son, nor would I have caused the harm to the other patients and their families. I could not live with myself knowing I had been so selfish as to deprive someone what I myself wanted.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#13 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

i highly doubt it will end when Terri dies.  i'd bet my small collection of Amy Brown prints that the Schindlers turn around and sue Michael for some ridiculous reason in civil court.

if i knew Michael i'd highly suggest that as soon as this ends, he and his gf change their names and move so they can escape the hell i'm sure the Schindlers have planned to wreak on their lives in the near future.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

As for Jeb--he can't be re-elected governor again, Florida only allows 2 terms, and he's in his second--which ends next year.

No more governor Jeb, no matter what people think of him.

-Nick

#15 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:37 PM

^ Well, then, o joy, he can run for President! :crazy:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#16 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

Norville, on Mar 28 2005, 01:37 PM, said:

^ Well, then, o joy, he can run for President! :crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ Further proof that sequels are never as good as the original and in this case... :whistle:
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

^I haven't heard anything about him even expressing a desire to run for President, and I doubt he could mount a serious presidential campaign.  There are much much stronger republican candidates out there who have expressed desires to run . . . Jeb will just have to settle for being the black sheep of the family--the one who only made it to Governor and didn't run for Prez.  (Barbara always said he was a slacker. :rolleyes: ;))

-Nick

#18 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:48 PM

^^^ I don't know that Jeb has expressed any desire to run for President but there are already folks out there trying to drum up support for him.  And those folks can be very persuasive when they get a chance.

I do think that his actions or lack thereof in this case will certainly not help the "Jeb for President' movement tho.   :D

And for the record I don't believe in government interference in private matters such as this

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#19 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:10 PM

After doing some digging, it seems pretty unlikely that he'd run--he simply doesn't seem to want to, and much of the country is Bushed-out . . . although, if it weren't for his handling of the Schaivo case and his A+ education plan . . . I'd like him a lot.  He's a true fiscal conservative and has done a fantastic job of cleaning up the "good old boys" clubs in various areas of the state government.

I would definately have preferred him running for prez instead of his brother . . . and truth to tell . . . I wouldn't actually mind him as President if it weren't for his stupid education policies and abuse of power in the Schiavo case . . . and if his last name was different. :)

-Nick

#20 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:21 PM

While I have a lot of sympathy for the Schindlers on a human level, I also get very angry at them when I consider the hell they've put all the other patients at the Florida hospice through whose last days have been made even more miserable by the freakshow camped outside.  At least one woman wasn't able to be at her grandfather's bedside for his death because of the security cordon in place, and I blame that directly on the Schindlers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I agree. I just think there's a lot of sides here... and unfortunately, we don't have that much evidence. Everything is so biased.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jeb Bush, Florida, Teri Schiavo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users