• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:29 PM

I know this really shouldn't be a joking matter, but is anybody finding this guy as amusing as I am?

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 25 August 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

How can you not, really.

I gotta give him extra credit for trying so darn hard!

Iraqi minister guy...... I salute you!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:33 PM

Oh, yes. Hello, sir, what is the color of the sky on the planet where you live? He seems to be proof of alternate realities...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#4 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:35 PM

This just in!

Posted Image

The Iraqi information minister addressed a column of reporters moments ago, saying:

"There are no threads about me on the Ex Isle! I am not amusing, I am a serious man, this is the truth! the infidels are being crushed! the tide has turned! soon we will have our revenge by conquering that message board! and so on!"

:lol:

Apologies if I didn't translate right from the original Arabic.....

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#5 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:36 PM

This reminds me, I had a dream about him last night. He was standing outside showing a park and telling how wonderfull it was that they had destroyed the American forces. At this time an US tank rolled  behind himwith three soldiers waving hello to the camera.

I woke my wife up laughing out loud. :)

#6 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:12 PM

You know, I swear I saw the ghost of a smirk on his face the last time he was broadcast.

I mean, really, it's hard to imagine he can take himself seriously when he says some of this stuff.  :sarcasm:

Ro

#7 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:23 PM

I really don't know how he keeps a straight face.  He knows he is spinning a fantasy world however what scares me is what if he actually believes what he is saying.
It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#8 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:36 PM

My local radio guy has nicknamed him "Baghdad Bob."  :p We're having great fun at his expense... Even in war you're allowed to have a little fun.

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#9 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:12 PM

He sure isn't a Tokyo Rose or Goebbels.

I really think the Coalition could have some fun with this guy...Next press conference have a B-52 fly over and drop red, white, and blue confetti on him. or have a column of Abrams and Bradley's drive up, soldiers hope out waving at the cameras, and then drive away.

I still liked CNN showing the A-10 last night showboating on live feed over Baghdad. That said one got tagged by a SAM today.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 08 April 2003 - 11:18 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#10 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:28 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 8 2003, 08:01 PM, said:

I really think the Coalition could have some fun with this guy...Next press conference have a B-52 fly over and drop red, white, and blue confetti on him. or have a column of Abrams and Bradley's drive up, soldiers hope out waving at the cameras, and then drive away.
Or give them a megaphone:  "That's right, there is nobody here.  No one's here.  There are no Coalition Forces in this City.  We're just figments of your imagination."

Hmm, would having Delta Force rush up and give him a noogie on Live TV violate the Geneva Convention? :D  

I still liked CNN showing the A-10 last night showboating on live feed over Baghdad. That said one got tagged by a SAM today.

And 2 other A-10s got hit by SAMs, but made it back to base.  On CNN they were talking about a picture of one of the damaged A-10s that showed a large hole in it's engine, but I haven't been able to find the pic online.  

Banapis

Edited by Banapis, 08 April 2003 - 11:35 PM.

#11 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:36 PM

Has anyone seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Someone suggested that this guy takes after the Black Knight!

"Your arm's gone"!
"Tis but a scratch"

"You've got no arms"!
"It's just a flesh wound"!

"I'm invincible"!
"You're a loony"

"The fight ids mine".
"All right, we'll call it a draw"......
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

#12 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:44 PM

Lol! He's great.

I can watch him on Sky news where it has picture and picture. You can hear machine guns going off around him and tanks underneath that crossed sword moument where as at the same time there he is saying: "There are no troops in Baghdad! We drove them out of the airport and are now killing them all!"
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#13 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 01:17 AM

Talkie Toaster, on Apr 8 2003, 08:18 PM, said:

I know this really shouldn't be a joking matter, but is anybody finding this guy as amusing as I am?
I agree that this is not a joking matter :p How do you know - maybe Saddam is holding his family hostage and he has to say all this to keep them alive? :suspect:

Besides, Iraqi ambassador in Moscow amuses me more - and I can actually understand what he is saying without translation.

Lina

Edited by Lina, 09 April 2003 - 01:17 AM.

#14 SparkyColaKid

SparkyColaKid
  • Islander
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 01:57 AM

It really isn't a laughing matter but honestly how can you help it. This man is a walking joke. You can't help but laugh out loud.

Edited by SparkyColaKid, 09 April 2003 - 02:09 AM.

Duke of Clarence: Revolution is like the pox. It spreads from person to person.
William Wilberforce: I bow to my honorable friend's superior knowledge and experience in all matters regarding the pox.

#15 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:06 AM

^^ You know, the Minister practically spoofs himself, but that list really is in questionable taste. 1000's of dead Iraqis are the very real casualties of this war.

Ro

#16 SparkyColaKid

SparkyColaKid
  • Islander
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:10 AM

OK....post edited. Wasn't sure how it would be taken.
William Wilberforce: I bow to my honorable friend's superior knowledge and experience in all matters regarding the pox.

#17 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, SCK. I appreciate it.

Funny with an edge sometimes bleeds.

Ro :look:

#18 MarzBar

MarzBar

MarzBar

• Islander
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:12 AM

LOL at this thread but I loved your post SparkyColaKid!! :lol:  I think you should put it back.

Edited to add I got to read it before you deleted it.

Edited by MarzBar, 09 April 2003 - 02:13 AM.

#19 SparkyColaKid

SparkyColaKid
  • Islander
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:20 AM

Ok, now I'm torn. This can be a very sensitive subject. Some people obviously have a darker and edgier sense of humor than others. What's very acceptable to some, can be way over the line for others. Is there a place I could post it her on ExIsle where those who don't find it offensive can read it?

#20 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:35 AM

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Piles of dead bodies -- many of whom appear to have been forced to fight and all of whom were dying in defense of their homeland are not to me the stuff of humor.

That said, I see two ways to include it on the Isle if you want. If you have a link you could always post that.

Or, make a separate thread and mark it specifically *Hot Topic--Humor*  or something like that. That's looks to be our currently developing solution.

Ro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users