Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Pope John Paul II: 1920-2005

Obituaries Pope John Paul II

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

From CNN-his health has worsened. His breathing is shallow.

I figure he only has a short time left.

:humble:

Edited by Digital Man, 02 April 2005 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Looks that way.

I mean, when I saw news that he'd been given the Sacrament of the Sick, it seemed like a non-news item, really, (given how commonplace such a sacrament is) until I realized they'd released that press briefing at 10 PM local (Rome) time.

I guess we'll wait and see.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

As much as I'd like to say I hope he gets better, I think it'd just be prolonging the inevitable.  The man has been drastically infirm for years, so it may be better just to wish him a peaceful passing.

The next pope they appoint should be someone younger and more vital.  John Paul II has done the best he can, but it's a case of the spirit being very willing while the flesh is very weak.

Anyway, I hope it turns out for the best, whichever direction that may be...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

The Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls was in tears-so that definitely speaks volumes.  Given how serious his condition seems to be, I wouldn't be surprised if he passes away within the hour.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Zwolf666, on Apr 1 2005, 10:09 AM, said:

The next pope they appoint should be someone younger and more vital.  John Paul II has done the best he can, but it's a case of the spirit being very willing while the flesh is very weak.

Just as a point of interest - John Paul II became pope when he was 58 - quite a vital man at the time.

It's the matter of "Pope until death" that leads popes to inevitably become frail old men.

I think it also speaks volumes in this case, that the Pope has chosen to stay in his apartment at the Vatican.  Perhaps he's come to peace with the thought of his own passing.

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

Zwolf666, on Apr 1 2005, 12:09 PM, said:

The next pope they appoint should be someone younger and more vital.  John Paul II has done the best he can, but it's a case of the spirit being very willing while the flesh is very weak.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That'll never happen. The church always seems to choose old men to be pope. I have yet to see a young pope. Guess they feel being old means being holy.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:09 PM

somehow i think God is saying he wants the Pope to join Him soon.  he has lived a good long life--84 years old is nothing to sneeze at.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

The Pope is now unconscious, his breathing is shallow, blood pressure is down.  The doctors have done everything possible.  Sadly looks like end is near.  
He has lived a wonderful 84 years and he has been blessed many times over.  
He was powerful personality and took many risks during his time.

My prayers are with him.

~Red

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:42 PM

There have been unconfirmed reports at this time that Pope John Paul II has passed away

Peace be with him....

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

Jid, on Apr 1 2005, 12:14 PM, said:

Just as a point of interest - John Paul II became pope when he was 58 - quite a vital man at the time.

It's the matter of "Pope until death" that leads popes to inevitably become frail old men.

I think it also speaks volumes in this case, that the Pope has chosen to stay in his apartment at the Vatican.  Perhaps he's come to peace with the thought of his own passing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't it true that popes are elected from the Cardinal College?  As far as I understood, one has to work one's way up to becoming a Cardinal - first being a priest, then a Bishop then a Cardinal?  That takes a few years...and seems a very reasonable process.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

MSNBC live is saying a Vatican statement is to be made shortly, CNN I can't get looged onto the page regarding the Pope at all.

and HM you are essentially correct. There are currently 119 cardinals. Their meeting IIRC starts about 20 days after the death of the pope. That's because when the timing was originally set up they were leaving time for cardinals to travel to Rome. Since they can get there more quickly these days they really probably start their deliberations sooner but not officially.

Edited by Anastashia, 01 April 2005 - 01:57 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#12 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Yahoo has a "Pope reportedly dead, but no confirmation" headline.
Can't Touch This!!

#13 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

Anastashia, on Apr 1 2005, 11:51 AM, said:

There are currently 119 cardinals. Their meeting IIRC starts about 20 days after the death of the pope. That's because when the timing was originally set up they were leaving time for cardinals to travel to Rome. Since they can get there more quickly these days they really probably start their deliberations sooner but not officially.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Partly.

I think the time also has to do with the time needed to prepare for the Pope's funeral, and then the traditional 9 day mourning period.

http://www.time.com/...papacy/how.html

#14 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

According to CNN, the Vatican is denying the death reports, but I think it's onlya matter of time.

Edited by Chipper, 01 April 2005 - 02:56 PM.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:06 PM

I can't believe what a hyopcrite this pope is...Wasn't it this pope who said that the tube should NOT be removed from Terri. That no tube should be removed, that life must be preserved at ALL costs. Yet this pope has made the decision not to go to the hospital...knowing that if he doesn't he will die. Yet, he had no problem saying Terri should be made to live...Unbelievable...What a hypocrite.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Apr 1 2005, 03:06 PM, said:

I can't believe what a hyopcrite this pope is...Wasn't it this pope who said that the tube should NOT be removed from Terri. That no tube should be removed, that life must be preserved at ALL costs. Yet this pope has made the decision not to go to the hospital...knowing that if he doesn't he will die. Yet, he had no problem saying Terri should be made to live...Unbelievable...What a hypocrite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get that?  The reports I've read said that the pope couldn't be moved because moving him would kill him.  All the best medical care was brought TO him.  

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

The Pope has a complete medical staff at his bedside.  I believe the man knows he is dying. He has been dying for the last month.  Slowly his body had been shutting down,  dealing with MANY health issues.  Afterall he is 84 years old.  
Get a grip and stop your whining.

~Red

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Meh, popes seem very interchangeable to me. They are all old men, whose attitudes, morality, and worldview is at least 2 generations behind the curve.

I can't say that i'm happy for his condition, but I can't feel to bad about it either. He's an old man whose lived a long life.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 1 2005, 03:26 PM, said:

Where did you get that?  The reports I've read said that the pope couldn't be moved because moving him would kill him.  All the best medical care was brought TO him. 

HM07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MSNBC reported that the Pope asked if he had to go to the hospital, because he just wanted to stay in his apartment. So he KNEW he was very ill and could die. He knows life support is the only way to remain alive...yet he isn't on life support. Unless the vatican put him on it and hasn't told anyone. IMO the Pope is very much a hypocrite.

#20 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

LotS:

I think that the Pope has the equivalent of an ICU unit at the Vatican.  If reports about EKGs and EEGs are correct, if they've got those pieces of equipment, they've probably got a ventilator there as well, should he need it, and/or desire it.
I know he's got doctors and nurses there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Pope John Paul II

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users